Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

Yeah, we've heard it all from you before.  It's all about the antlers and the $$.

Its all about a successful business for me. A business that is a success makes $.  Been that way from the beginning of time.   Success is not a problem with my chosen business.but this is about killing does remember.  Lets try and stay on track.

Oh did i miss someone?  The thread is still up and most say they care less about antlers so whats the problem?  Now its Law..That Sucks BUT it should change nothing in those hunters days afield. They were not there for antlers to begin with and they will get no antlers now.

Well I responded that I want to kill a mature buck for one and, as explained, there are reasons beyond a personal desire to kill a big buck to oppose this rule change.  Plus, other than the fact that you claim to do what you want regardless of the rules, this is something that you should find offensive with your stated goals.  Using it to mock others is not productive and I would hope that you would want your co-hunters to enjoy a well managed state regardless of their views.  This issue is bigger than your opportunity to try to cast others as liars, IMO.  Bash away if you like though.

Well I responded that I want to kill a mature buck for one and, as explained, there are reasons beyond a personal desire to kill a big buck to oppose this rule change.  Plus, other than the fact that you claim to do what you want regardless of the rules, this is something that you should find offensive with your stated goals.  Using it to mock others is not productive and I would hope that you would want your co-hunters to enjoy a well managed state regardless of their views.  This issue is bigger than your opportunity to try to cast others as liars, IMO.  Bash away if you like though.

Well my friend..I dont make the rules and i have a choice just as you as to whom or what i will do regardless of any laws.  If you are sitting here trying to say that most guys on this site has not said that antlers did not matter then you are full of it.  If they did not matter then, they should not matter now.

I make sure where i hunt is well managed and will be damned if someone sitting in a office in Albany somewhere can tell me what deer i need or do not need to harvest.  Many own the properties they hunt and they now decide what can and cant be taken.  

Those my friend are the finest places to hunt the whitetail deer in Ny state. If others want to sit back and whine as they take it deep then that is their choice.  Wont see that happen here!

The truth of the matter is that for most antlers really do matter!!!  As is now shown!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

true but how many doe do you pass on average during bow waiting for a buck?? I can shoot 10 to 20 doe a year with bow (now granted some may be return deer from another day) fact is bow hunters did not manage the herd, most of us bow hunt for opportunity at a good buck . I know many others who do the same, dec has said for years shoot doe, that is why they allow crossbow and soon to be early muzzloader to do what bow hunter refuse to do, look at the wining going on now!!!

I pass plenty of doe and also buck for that matter. But every year I still take 2 with one of the 3 weapons I'm allowed to hunt with. So why is the government now telling me when I should take the doe? And in fact asking me to pay extra for the privilege to take a doe?

I disagree that bow hunters hunt only for an opportunity for a good buck. I believe bow hunters are just more passionate about hunting. They started with gun and then saw an opportunity to spend more time in the woods and learned how to bow hunt. It's warmer and more of a challenge. It's more peaceful and the deer aren't spooked. Not every gun hunter bow hunts, but 90%+ of us bow hunter do gun hunt. So yes, bow hunters do go after buck, but it's not because we're all trophy hunters, we're just more in to hunting than some average gun hunters. 2.5 months in the woods and if you're lucky to hunt good land you're going to be more selective than the guy who just hunts opening weekend.

It's statistically impossible for bowhunters to manage the herds and expecting them to is asinine. Furthermore when and where did it become the bow hunters job? Why can't the orange army manage the herd? That's the whole argument. You have a problem with doe you say, but put ZERO regulations into affect for the gun hunter!

• Like 4

I've seen you state this several times on these threads - there really are not going to be many people wanting to go hunt doe-only during the MZ/late archery season. If you think participation rates are going to be high, I'd like to understand why. The only people who will be out there are the ones who really are light in the freezer themselves after a poor season. Most hunters are going to say screw it, I am not getting up in this weather and snow to only shoot a doe. And, MZ season is as late as it can be this year, there will be xmas parties, etc. that weekend. Plus, if there are that many does really running around as they say, there's not much excuse to be low on the freezer at that point, right? MZ participation is going to be abysmal.

If this becomes a permanent thing in my hunting areas, I'll probably offload my MZ gear. It doesn't make sense to hunt 1-2 days with it (weekends only or an afternoon off) for a doe.

I don't think participation in the doe only periods will be high.  probably drop a bit, more so late season.  some are righting it off because they can't hunt a buck late season.  not everyone is a landowner and gets dmaps and other tags some get DMPs.  i think many will still buy the privilege to get the flexibility of an additional tag for bowhunting.  places here in 4C have enough deer to create ample opportunity.  yet hunters go through seasons passing doe left and right.  especially once phases of the rut kick in.  stuck in reg season with some tags burning a hole in your pocket and then late season is here before you know it.  those determined to fill the freezer will do so early or get bitten by procrastination.

offloading gear like a muzzleloader doesn't make much sense because you'll get nothing for it.  even if you've bought a "whacko" TC prohunter like myself.  might as well keep it.  DEC is so off the wall they might flip things all together in a couple years and you might need it anyway.

If you are sitting here trying to say that most guys on this site has not said that antlers did not matter then you are full of it.  If they did not matter then, they should not matter now.

Not arguing this at all.  I don't claim to know what is important to most hunters.  I was pointing out that (1) you and Antler are not the only people that have stated that mature deer are targets; (2) you too should be opposed to this new rule; (3) using the new rule and outrage against it to mock others is not productive; and (4) most importantly, whether one hunts mature deer or just any deer, freedom to choose is a good reason to be against this rule change.

Simple enough.  AND, I will not sink to personal attacks regardless of what you may think I am "full of."

As a hunter with many years under your belt (and having more knowledge of deer than most), you can be a positive mature leader, not a mud slinger.  Of course, you are free to conduct yourself as you choose, regardless of its reflection.

This regulation does not affect me and seems to be a relatively small area.  That said this SUCKS!!!  We really need to do something about this unless you have no problem with this becoming state wide in ANY overpopulated area's from the DEC's point of view.  (Except Northern zone.)   

I keep hearing agenda and the DEC has a plan.  Well you say they will add in ML I say they will start to implement snipers.  How is that for an agenda. 

"Look we "DEC" tried to control the population by making 2 weeks for doe only during bow and it just does not work, so now we will try this!  Snipers, ML during bow, Crossbow during bow, earn a buck, etc." 

10 years from now the regulations will look like this.

Southern zone DOE ONLY October 1st until opening of gun and the last 2 weeks of the season.  (Any weapon except a gun during bow season.) Earn a buck regulations are in effect state wide, IF YOU WANT TO SHOOT A BUCK YOU HAVE TO SHOOT 3 DOE to get a tag!  Then you can shoot bucks during any season.

OR Stay in your house tonight, the DEC snipers are culling. 

One thing is for sure, this new implementation will have NO EFFECT on population control.  But the DEC knows this already, hence the agenda sounds brick solid.  Wonder how bad this will get in the next few years and what the real agenda is.

How fitting that you mistakenly spelled soul as "sole" in describing Four Seasons soul.  LOL

I thought he meant Fourseasons had a tickle on his foot.

his posts near and dear to his antler breeding heart usually get trampled over.  is their a difference?  in all honesty it's been a long day and I've got a meeting in my thoughts tonight to decide on how to ruin a few townships' deer seasons.

Or maybe he stepped on a shed antler of one of his pen raised deer.  That could have done a number  on the "sole" of his foot.  Probably required an emergency room visit.  LOL

you'll read somewhere in these forums it was still in velvet.  he had to mend one of the antler points.  tine was so long it could've poked him in the eye.  no laughing matter.

10 years from now the regulations will look like this.

Southern zone DOE ONLY October 1st until opening of gun and the last 2 weeks of the season.  (Any weapon except a gun during bow season.) Earn a buck regulations are in effect state wide, IF YOU WANT TO SHOOT A BUCK YOU HAVE TO SHOOT 3 DOE to get a tag!  Then you can shoot bucks during any season.

OR Stay in your house tonight, the DEC snipers are culling. 

One thing is for sure, this new implementation will have NO EFFECT on population control.  But the DEC knows this already, hence the agenda sounds brick solid.  Wonder how bad this will get in the next few years and what the real agenda is.

Won't be the entire SZ. There are areas that couldn't support that amount of doe take to Earn the buck tag

Not arguing this at all.  I don't claim to know what is important to most hunters.  I was pointing out that (1) you and Antler are not the only people that have stated that mature deer are targets; (2) you too should be opposed to this new rule; (3) using the new rule and outrage against it to mock others is not productive; and (4) most importantly, whether one hunts mature deer or just any deer, freedom to choose is a good reason to be against this rule change.

Simple enough.  AND, I will not sink to personal attacks regardless of what you may think I am "full of."

As a hunter with many years under your belt (and having more knowledge of deer than most), you can be a positive mature leader, not a mud slinger.  Of course, you are free to conduct yourself as you choose, regardless of its reflection.

So you think i should be outraged about this because everybody else is?  There is no mocking in the truth. Many said antlers did not matter in their hunting regardless. Those things have not changed so in reality nothing should change. That is unless some were not telling the truth. Probably the case here.

Mud Slinger you say...Ha... You can read the posts....I always love and get a kick out of the few that  use my personal successful business against me in a conversation because i dont agree with them on something else. You do know what that shows about those other people right?

Whats going to happen if the DEC hits a homerun on this course of action.

So you think i should be outraged about this because everybody else is?  There is no mocking in the truth. Many said antlers did not matter in their hunting regardless. Those things have not changed so in reality nothing should change. That is unless some were not telling the truth. Probably the case here.

Mud Slinger you say...Ha... You can read the posts....I always love and get a kick out of the few that  use my personal successful business against me in a conversation because i dont agree with them on something else. You do know what that shows about those other people right?

4S you are kinda being a Richard.

Your statement might make sense if you are saying all the buck sightings big or small would be replaced by a doe sighting, which we know they won't. And as well, not one person said that they would be happy with never having the chance to shoot any buck big or small ever. It is not a priority for a lot of folks. For most of us it is losing the choice!! Myself I have shot a bunch of smaller bucks mostly when I was younger. Now I let all kinds of them pass by me and that is the phase I am in and my choice. I would never take away those great experiences I have had from any of our upcoming hunters or a guy/girl who gets out a couple days a year and he sees one deer say a 2.5 year old 6 point or a 1.5 year old spike and can't shoot it. pfft

Back on topic I agree with most of the posters above. Using bow hunting instead of gun hunting to make the changes they seem to want is just a fail.

I don't think it will increase illegal activity too much. Those that cheat will always cheat.

Edited by Fletch

I find it rather strange how hunters will tell you that antlers don't matter... until you tell them they can't have any. I seem to remember a thread where hunters were asked if they would hunt still if there was no buck hunting allowed in NY.. the majority said "Yes, antlers aren't really that important... I'm a meat hunter anyway". And no Phase you weren't one of those that said that. But for others it seem like the attitude has changed. I get it... I'm just sayin'

I find it rather strange how hunters will tell you that antlers don't matter... until you tell them they can't have any. I seem to remember a thread where hunters were asked if they would hunt still if there was no buck hunting allowed in NY.. the majority said "Yes, antlers aren't really that important... I'm a meat hunter anyway". And no Phase you weren't one of those that said that. But for others it seem like the attitude has changed. I get it... I'm just sayin'

Oh Man!!!! Be Careful where you tread.   I believe i have been saying this all day and i am the biggest SOB around...Some have pretty short memories thats for sure.   

Antlers mean everything to 99% of the hunters out there but they are just afraid to admit it for some reason.  Sad Really!

• Like 1

Its all about a successful business for me. A business that is a success makes $. Been that way from the beginning of time. Success is not a problem with my chosen business.but this is about killing does remember. Lets try and stay on track.

Define success. Because in your post shown below, it appears there is not much $.

post-871-14388146953737_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you think i should be outraged about this because everybody else is? There is no mocking in the truth. Many said antlers did not matter in their hunting regardless. Those things have not changed so in reality nothing should change. That is unless some were not telling the truth. Probably the case here.

Mud Slinger you say...Ha... You can read the posts....I always love and get a kick out of the few that use my personal successful business against me in a conversation because i dont agree with them on something else. You do know what that shows about those other people right?

whats your opinion of this rule if you planned to abide by it? In favor or opposed and why? I am more interested in your opinion on this than whether others lied about hunting for big racks.

Can't you say the same thing if bucks were legal on October 1?  Will the guy who is at his hunting spot on September 30 have any better restraint if he happens to see that big buck?   Look, we all know what goes on in hunting, but you guys are killing me with these innuendos of the illegal activities that you surely think will happen because of this new doe only law.  Just because we don't like this rule, doesn't mean we now need to resort to illegal activities.  I've heard this saying that those who think that everyone else is a crook are probably crooks themselves.  Kind of fits some of the comments on this thread.  Those who say others will resort to killing bucks on October 13, might probably be the ones who would do it themselves also if the opportunity presented itself.  Not accusing you of anything here, Belo, you seem like a decent, reasonable sort, but just making a point.

I don't buy the out of season comment. Going hunting on 9/14 is not the same as hunting during a legal season on 10/13 and being told you can hunt deer... but not any with headgear. not all violations are equal. Seasons and weapons have changed many times in NY, but never once since I've been hunting have I been told what I can shoot.

Don't forget that the first 2 weeks of archery were added the same time the last weekend was lost. Archers already gave up one of the best weekends to bow hunt so gun could open on a saturday and timmy wouldn't have to miss school. Then we wanted little timmy to hunt when it was warm out so we added a weekend of loud bangs during archery. Then we said lets get more guys in the woods and allow crossbows. Fine... But now we can't even shoot a buck the first 2 weeks or the last week. WHEN DOES THE ASSAULT FREAKING END!? Like I said earlier... next year it becomes primitive weapons season and we no longer have a bow season in NY.

I wouldn't disagree with what you are saying, but taking yourself out of the game and choosing not to hunt is one thing, and saying that many people will kill a buck no matter what the law now says is another.

I didn't say you'll have guys out there still shooting just any buck. I said, what would you do if a P&Y walked by? Yeah I know a lot of you don't care about horns (yeah right), but maybe Phade was right. Instead of risk temptation you don't hunt at all?

All I know is that it's early august and i have a bad itch to get in the woods. Don't care if I get skunked, I just can't wait till 10/1 to lace up the boots and spend some time alone in the deer woods.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

Because of these changes that really do impact those affected and are already changing the way hunts are planned, tools used, licenses being purchased, etc ...

My question is - Will these changes make you consider hunting out of state or expanding a scheduled out of state hunt?

since i moved south I've come back to hunt in the fall. Last year coordinated with a wedding on 10/4. That would have really sucked to not be able to shoot a buck. This year my plan is to hunt the last week of bow and opening of gun... but I'm certainly happy I can shoot a buck down here on 10/1 should I get the chance.