Broadheads 2015

Hock3y24

I'v only used Muzzy MX-3, and they always performed perfectly.  Father-in-law bought me some Carbon Express Shurikens for my birthday, so Ill give them a try this season.  Anyone get a chance to try these yet?  They look pretty scary, Ill report back as soon as I put one to work.

post-6386-0-94017500-1440594814.jpg

With so many different preferences, and some people trying multiple brands... I wonder how many people fall into the trap of not being sure how a particular broadhead fly's in their set up (or with their shooting form). 

I'm not saying any of you would do such, but I've seen a hand full of guys in my day just put on broadheads and never do the hard part of being sure how they fly. (not all "100 gr" heads weigh the same and even some in the same packaging are different).

I used to be so anal with fixed bh flight that I was toasting too many targets and too many arrows. For that reason alone, I shoot mechanical and I still test the flight thoroughly. I don't think there's a head on the market that does not kill a deer quickly when you put it in the lungs... not putting it in the lungs because of bad flight or shot is another thing. 

This is my first year trying to Muzzy trocars but they seem a little flimsy to me can anyone who has shot them tell me if they are durable? Say if you hit bone

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Here is a write up I did on them...

I have played with the Trocars and killed a couple deer with them. Only reason being is they reminded of an old Rocky Mountain broad head design from back in the day. Some good and bad points on them. The good...they seem to group excellent, maybe because of the offset blades that create a helical I don't know...but the shoot very well. They are also quite in flight. Both deer I killed were pass throughout, one died in sight and the other had typical blood trail for about 125 yards. Both double lung shots from tree stands.

The bad on the Trocars. They are a one a done head for two reasons. First reason being that the tiny set screw gets gummed up and it's almost impossible to change the blades. One out of three willstrip right out and the time it take for a blade replacement with that in mind....forget it. This isn't insurmountable because honest you can replace the whole head for almost the cost the blades..... However the second reason they one and done is even though the ferrule is steel really isn't that strong, and solid hit and they don't spin true. They blade retention has weak points as well as I have seen a few sheared blades in solid impact tests. Lastly the blade offset really tears the hell out of your broad head targets and makes some removals a pain in the ***....

So in short I wouldn't be afraid to use Trocars but I would limit it to smallish thin skinned game like deer and lopes.... My first choice in heads...no but serviceable.

• Like 1