How many think NY should do this.

bowtech2

Looks like another way for dad to get that extra buck . There are a lot of dumb people out in the woods and some of them shouldn't have kids let alone kids that hunt . There should be a set age limit . 12 should be the cutoff .

3 of my grandkids have lifetime licenses . One is going to be 10 in November and the twins are 7 . They have been taught safety but I know many who havn't because they have been schooled by a dumb parent .

Looks like another way for dad to get that extra buck . There are a lot of dumb people out in the woods and some of them shouldn't have kids let alone kids that hunt . There should be a set age limit . 12 should be the cutoff .

3 of my grandkids have lifetime licenses . One is going to be 10 in November and the twins are 7 . They have been taught safety but I know many who havn't because they have been schooled by a dumb parent .

If they would do something stupid with a 9 year old, you dont think they will do the same stupid thing with a 12 year old?

If lowering the age limits would be such a bad thing, it should be easy to find stats to show it, since many states have a lower or no age limit at all.

I know a few kids that I would gladly share a stand with that are under our current age fr hunting,but then again I know a few adults that shouldn't be allowed to touch a gun either.I think there should be a "50 state general gun handling safety course" for youngsters that want to do it.I know when I went through my daughters class I realized that its almost impossible to fail unless you flat out are stupid or don't listen.Any person should be able to pass this course.Some kids aren't ready at 16 years old when some have the respect a gun deserves at 8 years old.

• Like 2

If they would do something stupid with a 9 year old, you dont think they will do the same stupid thing with a 12 year old?

If lowering the age limits would be such a bad thing, it should be easy to find stats to show it, since many states have a lower or no age limit at all.

I think there should be  SET age .limit and a 14 year old is more mature than a 12,11,10 year old  . I read the responses in the original article and some folks thought 7 or 8 was a fine age for a youngster to hunt and the parent should be able to make the choice . I have also seen hunt videos with little BillyBob sitting on daddy's knee and the father is doing almost everything except pulling the trigger .

To me , it's just a means to get more tags that can be filled out by a family . 

I believe I was 12 when I first toted a 12 gauge into the woods for opening morning with my Dad and a few neighbor friends on public ground in Virginia.

We separated about a mile back and me and my Dad went to sit on a ridgetop overlooking a ravine. Needless to say a roosted turkey busted off in the pitch dark right above where we set up and it scared the crapola out of me. Saw nothing all morning. We re-grouped for lunch and me and my buddy who was the same age split off about 50 yards from the adults to eat. A pair of does came in right above us on a ridge trail while we were eating - talking a few feet away. I managed to get my barrel pointed at a doe, the muzzle had to have been about 10 inches from its snout and its standing there looking at me. I kept pulling that trigger and nothing happened. Eventually, after what felt like an eternity, the doe ran off. Safety was on and I was shaking like a leaf.

Now here I am years later, hooked, and enjoying it immensely. 12 is exponentially better in my book than 14 in today's world.

I think there should be  SET age .limit and a 14 year old is more mature than a 12,11,10 year old  . I read the responses in the original article and some folks thought 7 or 8 was a fine age for a youngster to hunt and the parent should be able to make the choice . I have also seen hunt videos with little BillyBob sitting on daddy's knee and the father is doing almost everything except pulling the trigger .

To me , it's just a means to get more tags that can be filled out by a family . 

You said...

"There are a lot of dumb people out in the woods and some of them shouldn't have kids let alone kids that hunt ."

That is what my response was about.

In any case, generalizing if a kid is ready to hunt at a certain age is a very broad brush approach. Ill tell you right now that my daughter has been ready for at least the last 2 years. Other kids her age may or may not be, but she is, and NY cant make that call. I can though, because I know her and I know her capabilities.

As a parent of 2 kids that are becoming active in school, sports, etc, I know all about what kind of distractions are out there for kids entering the NY mandated hunting age range. Its not going to be an easy feat keeping them in the woods. I cant imagine how hard it would be to get a kid that hasnt been introduced to it at a very young age, started at the age of 12.

You wonder why the average age of hunters keeps going up in NY? Well, making people wait till their kids are already eyeballs deep in school and sports is one of the reasons.

• Like 2

My 11 year old grandson has been going out with me since he was 6. He learns quickly and has a passion for hunting and the outdoors. His skills, although he still has much to learn, are very advanced for his age. He is now a better woodsman at 11 than some adults I've seen stumbling and bumbling in the woods. He knows how to safely handle a firearm and is a good shot with bow as well. Perhaps some kids his age are not ready to hunt. But he could have started last year if legal. And I know some others his age that are ready to hunt, and chomping at the bit to do so as well. It's all about good supervision and and letting them learn as much as they want, at an early age. Why hold them back?

• Like 1