LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

First time out bow hunting since 2003 I believe. I won a bow tech carbon icon back in August on a 10$ raffle. Hoping that good luck follows me into the season.

Haven't seen anything yet, but the geese that are flying over head are almost deafening at times.

Hunting up in 7A....

Not 5 minutes after I made my first post, a spike came out about 60 yards, from the one direction they aren't suppose to come from. He got within 40 yards and winded me.

Jumped back. Stood looking, tries to half circle

Me. Finally turned and went off to the right. Never saw me, but he knew I was somewhere around.

Dm wind keeps changing direction.

Not 5 minutes after I made my first post, a spike came out about 60 yards, from the one direction they aren't suppose to come from. He got within 40 yards and winded me.

Jumped back. Stood looking, tries to half circle

Me. Finally turned and went off to the right. Never saw me, but he knew I was somewhere around.

Dm wind keeps changing direction.

He didn't get that memo huh?

very nice....I would like to hear the story behind it if you don't mind telling.

Not too much to tell really jjb.  As many stands as we have, only a few are OK for a ENE wind like yesterday so I chose the one that I thought would likely have action (near small clover plot and crabapple trees).  When I got there, there were three fawn bedded in the plot.  After a stand off with them, they finally moved and I jumped in the stand, only to realize its about as bad as a stand as one can pick to shoot a 60" recurve.  Shots are all to my right, never really cleared lanes this year since we don't hunt it much and it has arm rests.  Only one real lane where the shot was 20yds and less, most were in the 30yd or farther range out into the middle of the plot.  So I wasn't expecting to take a shot but figured I would enjoy the nice afternoon.

Around 5:45, the fawn returned eating apples and playing.  A few minutes later, they had heads up watching something, so I stood up, turned facing the tree and got ready to shoot to my right.  I saw two doe enter the other side of the plot but they stayed off the edges in the really thick stuff eating.  Finally one started heading for the only real shooting lane I had and I shot her at about 16-17yds leaning way out and over the arm rests.  Not an ideal shot and it was less than perfect but it got the job done. 

Lesson learned that I really need to pick my bow based on the stand I plan to hunt.  We have some that the recurve will be fine.  That wasn't one of them really. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3