Don't make excuses...

chiefbkt

So, now everyone gets a trophy in hunting too... First of all a deer is NOT a trophy it is just a deer... trophies are given to the winners of a competition... hunting is not a competition. Well maybe a competition between you and the deer... but when the deer wins he doesn't get a trophy so I don't think that counts

• Like 3

So, now everyone gets a trophy in hunting too... First of all a deer is NOT a trophy it is just a deer... trophies are given to the winners of a competition... hunting is not a competition. Well maybe a competition between you and the deer... but when the deer wins he doesn't get a trophy so I don't think that counts[

You know I never thought about it like that before. And I have to say, you are right! Your words of wisdom ring true with me. Thanks! But what do you call a special deer that may have more meaning to you than others?

I agree, he is just saying don't bash people when they get a spike or something below your standards that they are proud of.  That is what they consider a trophy, yes.  No need to tell them it is not a trophy, in their eyes it is.  Mounts are considered trophies not sure where your going with that?

• Like 1

The word Trophy Hunter was given to successful city hunters who where able to bring back a deer.  People would say "He got his trophy!" and would have pictures of him still in nice clothes sometimes suits with their prize.  Not sure if that was where it originated but it was common that's for sure.

A gift? Who knows.

Actually, if the deer 'wins' it does get a trophy, it's called life. At least for a day or so.

A trophy isn't just about competition. A trophy can mean different things to different people. A recovering w/e can deem each week, month, or year a trophy. Someone who was told they will never walk again and did might consider the wheel chair they were confined to a trophy.

So if the hunter who takes his first doe or spike wants to consider that a trophy who are we to disagree? If someone wants to call every fish they catch, deer they kill, rabbit they kill, or fly they sway a trophy so be it.

To me, a trophy is anything in life you are proud of.

Just my 3 cents.

• Like 2

So, now everyone gets a trophy in hunting too... First of all a deer is NOT a trophy it is just a deer... trophies are given to the winners of a competition... hunting is not a competition. Well maybe a competition between you and the deer... but when the deer wins he doesn't get a trophy so I don't think that counts[

You know I never thought about it like that before. And I have to say, you are right! Your words of wisdom ring true with me. Thanks! But what do you call a special deer that may have more meaning to you than others?

Just that.. a special deer that means something to me... I don't really have one that is more special than the others.. they each mean something different to me... each special in their own way for different reasons... I don't ever look at them as trophies just successes. I'm all about the stories behind them and each one has it's own story.

• Like 2

A mentally challenged deer?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

But what do you call a special deer that may have more meaning to you than others?

I call it a special deer that has more meaning to me than others. I am all for getting rid of that term, "trophy" when it comes to deer. They are not some wood and brass award. And, if I were king, I would dump the stupid scoring systems too. Whoa! .... Don't get me started .... lol.

• Like 1

Every deer I have ever killed has been "special" to me. But some more than others, because of a history with that deer, or something unique about the hunt or the deer itself. That stands out in my mind more than others. I have never put a tape to any of the antlers of the bucks I have been fortunate enough to kill. Even though I'm sure more than a couple would make P&Y, for whatever that's worth. To me numbers and tallys don't mean anything! I can look at a picture and vividly recall details of past hunts and deer that were killed many years ago. But there are a few, that just stand out in my mind more than others. And not just because of what they had or didn't have on their head.

• Like 3

I call it a special deer that has more meaning to me than others. I am all for getting rid of that term, "trophy" when it comes to deer. They are not some wood and brass award. And, if I were king, I would dump the stupid scoring systems too. Whoa! .... Don't get me started .... lol.

Your right lets get rid of the term trophy in hunting and also dump the 3 points on one side rule!!

let everybody go out and have a enjoyable day afield and take your kids and grandkids out to show them the freedom of hunting. I would just bet that any deer you shoot with them would be very special and rememberd for life no trophy needed

• Like 2

Guess I have to rename my room with mounts in it to the memories room?  Stop being so politically correct, its just a deer, if someone considers it a trophy why rain on their parade?  I consider every deer I have taken a trophy and will never put anyone down for shooting a deer that makes them happy.

That mount allows me to tell the story, explain how beautiful the animal was and show others the beauty of a nice mount.  It bring back the day it happened and allows me to relive the joy and bounty it provided.

Now to be politically correct I will have to be a memories hunter vs a trophy hunter?  No I make no excuse for the hunting I do.  I am a trophy hunter and will not change to a memories hunter.  And I do not fell any regret for being one.

• Like 5

Every deer should be special to the hunter. Every deer is a trophy! Only a loser would put down any deer a hunter legally decides to kill. Be Proud Of What You Shoot!

not to nit pick, but not every deer has to be a trophy. The trophy is absolutely determined by the hunter and not his peers. But I woulnd't say the doe I shot 2 years ago with my mz was a trophy. She was intended for the freezer and I was still happy as a clam to shoot her. But it was a private land and a doe i had seen at least a dozen times already. The doe I shot last year with a mz on public land may be the biggest personal trophy deer I've ever shot. I just dont agree that every harvest is equal.

Edited by Belo