Meat Advice

Zag

So I picked up my deer meat from wilsons almost $300 dollars worth. My wife said we needed a chest freezer. So we picked up a new GE for a good price that night. The next day we loaded all my deer steaks (1 1/2 deer worth) and loins along with all my meat from wilsons.

This am I go to grab some bologna and its not cold. I frantically feel around and just about everything is well thawed. I quickly thru everything back in our other two freezers. My wife grabbed some steak out last Thursday. Do you think the meat could still be good? I doubt it. What should I do?

I got the freezer on dec 5th. Loaded the meat the next day. Last thur it was cold. So somewhere between then and the weekend it stopped because this morning it wasnt even very cold. Do i take a steak out and smell it once it thaws?

Offer a steak up to MIL and see how it goes.

Honestly think you'll be ok. Years ago our basement flooded. Serv Pro came in a gutted finished to unfinished. A week later I smelled something bad. Yup , about 3 1/2 deer and 2 wild turkey all bad. I was furious. Called owner asking how the heck could they unplug a freezer and not plug it back in. He was remorseful but nothing he could do sadly. Sucked.

• Like 1

No way would I ever take a chance with it. I wouldn't care if it didn't smell bad or if it wasn't slimey. I would dump it! Hopefully you can get a receipt for when you picked up meant and when you bought freezer, I would throw such a fit they will have to pay me to leave the store!

Good luck

• Like 1

I had a 7 cu ft chest freezer that had a 12 month warranty . It crapped out after 13 months . Went to get some meat out and there was condensation on the inside of the lid . No idea how long it was off . Lost most of the meat . Bought another one . I have a sensor in the freezer and the thermometer next to my Computer . The freezer is 5 degrees right now . 

If it goes , I will know . 

• Like 1

as everyone now knows i'm new to this but I have to say I would consider losing my venison more of a loss than anything bought at the store.  Way more.  I would thaw some and smell it then test a little out on myself.  With that being said nothing is worth your own health or your family's.  

I wonder if someone that processes deer meat regularly would be willing to give any good advice?

as everyone now knows i'm new to this but I have to say I would consider losing my venison more of a loss than anything bought at the store.  Way more.  I would thaw some and smell it then test a little out on myself.  With that being said nothing is worth your own health or your family's.  

I wonder if someone that processes deer meat regularly would be willing to give any good advice?

The meat was thawed already because the freezer did not work, that is that way i read it

Yup... try a steak, with wild mushrooms. Throw some garlic in there.  Do this when you don't need to work the next day in case you have frequent runs to the bathroom. Pun intended..  It would need to smell and look bad  to make me want to throw it out.

• Like 1

How cold was the meat when you discovered the problem? Any chance you tested some with a thermometer (I know not everyone has a meat thermometer)? You might be okay. Don't put yourself/family at harm, but fresh, carefully handled meat like your venison can be safe if it is not warm for too long, especially if your butcher was a clean production.

They age meat at 40, it's more than likely fine if it was still.chill to the touch.how old do you think meat just stays on shelf at store a goood week if you check the dates, if it was frozen first it wasn't above 32 too long if if was still cold to touch

Edited by G-Man

If it were me, I'd toss it. No sense in getting sick over possibly spoiled meat. Does the freezer not operate at all now? Circuit breaker trip?

Nope its still running and not cold at all. GE said they would have to send a tech this friday and they do have a food remursement program but the tech has to look at it first.

They age meat at 40, it's more than likely fine if it was still.chill to the touch.how old do you think meat just stays on shelf at store a goood week if you check the dates, if it was frozen first it wasn't above 32 too long if if was still cold to touch

everything up top wasnt warm to the touch, very bottom was cold but not close to being frozen. I think this weekend ill pull some out to try.

Nope its still running and not cold at all. GE said they would have to send a tech this friday and they do have a food remursement program but the tech has to look at it first.

not sure they can put a price on venison as one can't buy it. Nor are they going to pay for your gas your time or put those deer back on the planet
  • Like 1

not sure they can put a price on venison as one can't buy it. Nor are they going to pay for your gas your time or put those deer back on the planet

Yes you can buy venison!Will it be the same as shooting one I do not know.