Harmless weather instrument...

wooly

Ran out for a quick hike behind the house this evening and found my first ever weather balloon!

I got a little nervous when I first spotted it. First thing that came to mind when I saw that blaze orange up in the treetops from a distance was there was a hunter hanging there since deer season.

Fortunately it wasn't anything morbid as that.

As much as I was tempted to open it up to see what's inside, I resisted from doing so.

It came with a pre-paid envelope/bag to mail it back in one piece so that's what I'll do.

Released out of Buffalo on 8/13/15.

It took about a 35 mile ride before crash landing where I found it now almost 5 months later.

DSC_0001_zps4ifszpuh.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsr3cfxrxd.jpg

DSC_0006_zps9lanbl10.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsexoiqafl.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsnbmvwuwe.jpg

• Like 12

I found a link to the NOAA Radiosonde model that I found.

It doesn't sound like they'll be following up with any further information, but it's pretty cool to learn the impressive journey some of these suckers make! Interesting stuff!

http://www.ua.nws.noaa.gov/factsheet.htm

Thanks for the link. That's pretty cool stuff.

• 11 months later...

Picked up another radiosonde on yesterdays hike. This one wasn't marked where it was launched from or on what date, and it didn't have a parachute like my last find, but it did have a return envelope so it's heading home again!

I must be in the fly-way for these things or something. Never did hear any information back from the last one I returned, so I guess there really are no perks to finding them other than being able to say you found one.... or two now. The woman at the post office told me in 30 years of being there she had never seen one of these come through the door when I dropped the last one off.

DSC_0287.JPGDSC_0307.JPGDSC_0309.JPG

DSC_0306.JPG

Edited by wooly
  • Like 5

Neat to find two of them.  Some places are like that.  There's a spot on the family farm, most of the way to the top of the hill, where I have found probably 20 or 30 "party balloons" over the years.  They are those foil, helium ones.  They get hung up in a patch of hemlocks there.  Makes me think about wind currents and weather patterns and other stuff I don't understand.

By the way, you've got me wanting to find just ONE decent shed, so I can make one of those rings.  I don't wear rings, but I still want one.  I can't sacrifice antlers off a buck I shot, so now I'll have to try and hunt down a shed.  Oh boy. Mission impossible.

• Like 1