venison burgers

jjb4900

What works good for us is adding some egg and forming the patties well in advance of grilling. That means the night before if you are making them for lunch or early in the morning if for supper. Thawing out a pack of bulk grind, forming patties and grilling plain right away, is just going to make a crumbled mess, most of which will fall thru the grill. No worry of that with the added egg and time.

We had venison tacos tonight, which is my kids favorite way to eat the grind. No need for the egg and time there and way better for them than beef tacos. Grilling season is almost here however and I am looking forward to some burgers. I gave the grill a test fire on that beautiful day yesterday, but it was way too windy for grilling tonight.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I have crumbled Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs and that works nice too.

If you haven't tried Montreal Steak Seasoning, give it a shot. I use it on all kinds of meat, but it is especially perfect for wild game. Sprinkle it on and press it into the meat just before you grill.

i add bacon to my grind, comes out good. I've been putting burgers inside Pillsbury crescent rolls for a while now. just cook them most of the way then wrap them up in premade crescent roll dough, top with whatever you like(we use sautéed onions, mushrooms, red peppers, garlic and sharp cheddar) and finish in the oven. only way my girlfriend will eat a burger now. I've created a monster.lol

I grind a small onion in my ground venison with some garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some crushed red pepper. Stays nice and moist. Serve with cheese (or not) and thin onions cooked in caste iron pan, Frank's red hot, on a Martins potato roll. Really like them as sliders too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mix in anything with the venison it's just ground venison with almost all the fat silver skin, etc trimmed off that's possible.  I beat 1 egg and then add bread crumbs to make a runny paste.  mix in the ground.  i have my known recipes that use things like mustard seed, red cooking wine, garlic salt, lemon pepper and some other things.  what I've found is the quickest and easiest is instead using McCormick dry burger seasoning to mix in.  goes with 1lb of meat.  they've got classic or apple wood smoked that are both good.  the other way i always end up being out of something part way in.  burgers usually means quick with no time for something else.

• 2 weeks later...

So tonight I made venison burgers via the huntingny.com recipes graciously supplied by all the fine chefs here. 

I started with the finest ground venison this side Interstate 90.  Mixed a couple fork fulls of minced garlic, one raw egg, a BIG shake of Italian breadcrumbs, a couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce and then a couple shakes of Wegmans Parmigiano Reggiano shredded cheese.  Mixed it all up, adding extra breadcrumbs to stiffen.   Formed into patties and tossed in freezer for ten minutes.  (not sure if that did anything)

Got the grill up to about 425 degrees but before I tossed the burgers on, I brushed a little olive oil on each side.

They came finished up outstanding!  

Thanks guys, we'll be doing them again for sure.

• Like 1

So tonight I made venison burgers via the huntingny.com recipes graciously supplied by all the fine chefs here. 

I started with the finest ground venison this side Interstate 90.  Mixed a couple fork fulls of minced garlic, one raw egg, a BIG shake of Italian breadcrumbs, a couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce and then a couple shakes of Wegmans Parmigiano Reggiano shredded cheese.  Mixed it all up, adding extra breadcrumbs to stiffen.   Formed into patties and tossed in freezer for ten minutes.  (not sure if that did anything)

Got the grill up to about 425 degrees but before I tossed the burgers on, I brushed a little olive oil on each side.

They came finished up outstanding!  

Thanks guys, we'll be doing them again for sure.

Sounds like meatloaf burgers

• Like 2

Next time around I'm gonna go with straight venison with some basic spices and see how that works.....meatloaf is exactly what came to mind the last time I made them with too much other stuff added.

Try adding just little ground pork, just too add fat so they don't break apart. Then I put in a little salt and pepper, just like I do with beef burgers.

Call 'em what you'd like. 

Works for me..............

Next time you make venison burgers, try this…..mix the ground venison with about 25%  ground chuck. Add 1 or 2 eggs (depending on the amount) Italian seasoned bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, crushed garlic,  orageno and black pepper. Mix well and roll into balls a little bigger than golf balls. fry them in olive oil until the outside is brown. Remove them from the pan and place them on a dish covered with about 4 layers of paper towel so the oil drains off. then simmer them in pasta sauce for about 20-30 min. Place the balls on an Italian style sub roll, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese over the top and place in the toaster oven or oven until the cheese melts. 

Best damn burger you ever had!!!

Sorry to be a D but I couldn't resist...

• Like 2

Next time you make venison burgers, try this…..mix the ground venison with about 25%  ground chuck. Add 1 or 2 eggs (depending on the amount) Italian seasoned bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, crushed garlic,  orageno and black pepper. Mix well and roll into balls a little bigger than golf balls. fry them in olive oil until the outside is brown. Remove them from the pan and place them on a dish covered with about 4 layers of paper towel so the oil drains off. then simmer them in pasta sauce for about 20-30 min. Place the balls on an Italian style sub roll, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese over the top and place in the toaster oven or oven until the cheese melts. 

Best damn burger you ever had!!!

Sounds like meatloaf.

• Like 3