Sale Dispute

phade

Need some feedback - hemming and hawing at best course of action. Not a transaction from this site.

Sold a cell cam two months ago (Mid Feb) - used Code Black (three years old) along with a battery extender. I threw in an SD card and set the cam up for the buyer without including it in the initial "for sale" post. Sent a confirmation pic to ensure it worked fine and mailed it off. Even sent a confirmation of the At&T showing the photo was texted to his phone.

Fast forward to yesterday and I get a PM asking for help with the cam as the SD card is showing locked. I troubleshoot it with a few ideas, but to no avail. Suggested he call in to the manufacturer for more ideas and they determine it's terminal.

Buyer now wants a full refund. He tells me he hasn't used the camera until just this weekend.

What say you? What is fair?

Edited by phade

Is he willing to try new card?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We've already tried everything - most likely the contacts where the card go into the cam are toast, preventing the cam from reading a card. That's typical of water damage, however.

At this point, I am struggling with him asking for a full refund two months after the transaction. He says he never touched it until this weekend.

I am not trying to steer this thread as I want some objective feedback.

Edited by phade

Eeeeks... I'd probably honor the refund just to uphold my outstanding sales reputation.

If he returns it and covers the shipping maybe you can turn a few screws and get it running again for resale or personal use.

If it was truly DOA, I'd have a guilty conscious about not refunding. JMO.

Edit- I didn't see he had it running for two months before checking on it.

First thing buyer should do is test upon receiving something like this to ensure proper performance.

I might tell him pound salt at this point.

Edited by wooly

is this a business you run or just a random sale? If it were me, and it was a business that may get negative reviews, whether or not true, I would request that he return it for inspection prior to a refund......unless it was a fairly inexpensive item, then I'd just return the $$, but that's only if I had a business selling them. I would think a private sale 2 months old doesn't require that.....

Edited by jjb4900

If it were me, I'd tell him sorry, but sales are final. If this had come up within a few days of him getting it, it might be different. He can't buy a used product, sit on it for two months, and then claim it was broken when he received it. Maybe it was, but we can't know and it isn't fair that you would have to eat the cost of a problem that he very well may have caused.

If you were planning on selling more items on that site, maybe see if you can negotiate a 50% refund or something along those lines, if only to retain your reputation for future sales.

• Like 2

I worked in a retail store and also raised and sold hunting dogs for many years if the customer is not happy I always refunded their money. Did I like doing that ? Absolutely not but it  saves a lot of hassle and you keep your reputation.

Al

Edited by airedale

Eeeeks... I'd probably honor the refund just to uphold my outstanding sales reputation.

If he returns it and covers the shipping maybe you can turn a few screws and get it running again for resale or personal use.

If it was truly DOA, I'd have a guilty conscious about not refunding. JMO.

Would you buy a used cellular electronic item (for a decent amount of coin) and not check it out for two months?

• Like 1

It was a private sale for $175.

It'd be a no-brainer for me if it were a week or two later, but I sold it in good working order right up until boxing. Two months have elapsed - the cam went to Alaska.

I struggle with whether I am being taken advantage of or whether this guy is legit.

30 days is one thing 60 is another. With all the people out there trying to take advantage of a good thing I think you say sorry for the loss and can't refund the money. Perhaps a discount could be offered on another camera to ease his pain. No chance I'm not testing anything I buy shortly after receiving it.

• Like 1

as a buyer he probably bought it because it was a good deal, not an immediate need. when the need came about it didn't work.. a quick way to tell if he is pulling your chain is to offer him a swap. if he demands money it's a questionable return, if he is willing to swap he just wants a working camera. be careful about offering partial returns, if he wants a working camera and you offer him 1/2 back you just hosed him for $90 and he still doesn't have a working camera. when it comes down to it's an all or nothing deal.. no returns after a set time, swap it, or full refund. it might sting at first but you won't have a problem sleeping at night.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk