Why DON'T You Turkey Hunt?

Five Seasons

I've taken many toms in my day, and turkey hunting is just a lot of fun.  But the past few years I don't have a big desire to kill one for some reason. I still go out and scout, get up early to listen quite often before season and during. I like to scout for a couple friends and go out with them, but often end up just running a camera although I do take my shotgun. I don't mind getting up at 3:30, love being out in the woods and watching it get light out, hearing all the different birds, seeing wild flowers and just watching spring unfold is awesome. I guess I think turkeys are beautiful birds and would just rather engage with them, but not blast them. I even have a tom out behind my house that gobbles most mornings and even gobbles when he's roosting quite a few nights. Hearing him gobble almost daily brings more joy to me than going out and shooting him would so I have yet to go after him, although I've thought about it a few times. The past few weekends I've gone fishing for wild browns and walleye's.

Will I go out and shoot a tom this season?  I might, because I do enjoy the challenge of turkey hunting as well.

• Like 2

Spring is my busiest time of the year. We have yard and grounds maintenance, garden and landscape additions and maintenance. We also are surrounded by the woods, so leaf removal is a major activity and picking up the unending supply of limbs and twigs is a constant job. And if I happen to have a spare minute or two, I do like to head down to the river and have a go at the bullheads. Also, as already mentioned by FastEddie, the bug situation with an activity that requires silence and immobility, makes it very difficult for me to enjoy it.

In the fall, I am completely immersed in bowhunting. Nothing interferes with that.

Never did it as a kid, we had no turkeys. Over the past few years I get out here and there. Never once been before first light though! lol

The three biggest issues.

1. I don't have access to any woods with fields which seems to be the ticket.

2. I am no good at it.

3. I can't get my ass out of bed at 4 am like I can for 3 months of deer!!

Out of all the birds I've killed only 1 has been in a field , that's a tv gimmick !

• Like 4

I have killed quite a few turkeys over the years. And at one time was really into it. But turkey has never been one of my favorite wild game meat. Just ok for me. At this stage I like to call them more than kill them. Getting one in front of my grandson is my main motivation now. But he is playing on two baseball teams, (regular LL and travel) with almost 70 games to be played, plus practice, finding the time to get him out there is hard. And he's not really into getting up at 4:15, hunting until 8:30 running home to be at the field by 9:30 and have a double header. I have been out once to call for my buddy this year. Close, but no turkey killed. Plus getting the bass boat ready is the main focus for me right now!

Sorry but not buying the bug thing folks. I've dealt with but only a few black flies one day so far this year and have hunted a lot. You're clad in headnet and gloves. A little Off is all I've ever needed. Mind you it's usually 6-7 degrees cooler here than at home Obviously this year has been cooler than previous years but never once have I had them drive me "buggy " Haven't even seen a skeeter yet.

Fletch, the time just at first light would be the time to actually be there. You can't get good at it if you don't try.

Fields are the worst place to kill birds imo if you can call n have anybody else camping out there too.

Woods/mountain birds are much easier. Maybe harder to initially locate but that's what presesson is for

Sorry but not buying the bug thing folks. I've dealt with but only a few black flies one day so far this year and have hunted a lot. You're clad in headnet and gloves. A little Off is all I've ever needed. Mind you it's usually 6-7 degrees cooler here than at home Obviously this year has been cooler than previous years but never once have I had them drive me "buggy " Haven't even seen a skeeter yet.

I agree I don't see bugs as an issue either. Thermacell works even in bear swamps. Certainly does in turkey woods. This year I've yet to turn it on.

I'm thinking turkey hunting can be a hard thing to initially learn, no guarantees of success when you first start off. It can be tough in the beginning.

Wondering if that's actually the problem for some?

• Like 1

even at only 32 I couldn't imagine doing both in the same day. I'll try to get in bed by 9 before a turkey hunt, but if the wife's into the wine I'm staying up. The next morning after 4 hours or so in the woods I need a nap, and the weekend is my "sleep in and recover from 2 kids and hectic work week". That and although a very understanding wife, I can only push so far with 2 little kids.

IMO part of turkey hunting is grabbing a nap in the woods, only a few things I can think of better than curling up under a big beech tree and catching a snooze on a sunny May morning. A gobbler sounding off makes a great alarm clock.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1

Can't say I blame you!

I give all the credit in the world to guys from NYC who hunt ! I've killed deer a half my from my house, and my land is 35 minutes away. I have my own shooting range and so on.

The effort it would take me if I lived there, would be hard for me to muster.

• Like 2

I give all the credit in the world to guys from NYC who hunt ! I've killed deer a half my from my house, and my land is 35 minutes away. I have my own shooting range and so on.

The effort it would take me if I lived there, would be hard for me to muster.

It's defiantly hard sometimes, but a day in the woods is well worth it!

IMO part of turkey hunting is grabbing a nap in the woods, only a few things I can think of better than curling up under a big beech tree and catching a snooze on a sunny May morning. A gobbler sounding off makes a great alarm clock.

Funny you mention that. I took a snooze down south last year in the warm sun and woke to 2 jakes at my dekes (illegal in ms). I thought that was funny.

I'm aghast you'd rather eat goose than wild turkey.

The geese I have cooked and ate tasted great. I have cooked wild turkey various ways and they are okay nothing to jump up and down about. Best was smoked but still not amazing. Goose I have made into jerky, BBQ in crock pot, grilled, sauteed, a few other ways. More flexible in the ways it can be prepared. Turkey can't be done many other ways unless you are only feeding yourself.

you just blew my mind. turkey stink so you'd rather eat geese?

Both stink but when doing geese I have got to the point where the only piece of meat worth keeping are the breast so I split the skin cut out the 2 breast and done. No need to gut, pluck, or skin.

To each their own but I haven't turkey hunted in probably 10 years instead I chase these guys, and they usually end up giving me 1 dinner per a fish. 

20150827_154013_zpsu0vdlzue.jpg

20150523_080923_zpsnz6eyweo.jpg

Edited by chas0218

I hunt turkey and always get at least one, but many years I get two.

A good friend of mine flat out refuses to hunt turkey at all, even though he hunts almost everything else. Why? He won't eat them. He claims they eat crap and points out they love to follow the manure wagons in the late winter.

:rolleyes:

Wondering if he eats chicken? They're almost vultures. How bout crab or lobster? Perch? The worms in them (perch) come from goose poop. The list goes on n on.

To each his own but I've never once made turkey for someone even who doesn't normally eat turkey that didn't love it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 1

Used to do it but haven't in years.  Just don't really impress me that much as a game species, I'd rather watch them from the kitchen window with a cup of coffee in my hand.  Guys I goose hunt with are always trying to get me to go with them but turkey hunting really doesn't even remotely interest me anymore.