What do you think this is?

I had pulled this card back during May, but just got around to looking at it and saw this all over this doe. I was thinking maybe a porcupine's quills?

It almost looks like she was showing it to the cam.

ETA: I didn't crop it to make the image larger, but you'll have to zoom in to see the detail.

post-694-0-71529000-1467987520_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steuben Jerry

Looks to me like nothing more than shedding out of it's winter coat.

You'll see all kinds of globs of deer hair laying around the woods that time of year.

Trail cams have a tendency to exagerate a lot of common stuff like that and we let our imaginations run wild. Zooming in only makes it look worse as the image quality starts to suffer.

Similar pic of what I'm talking about taken first week of May.

post-233-0-14951900-1467994697_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

You'll see all kinds of globs of deer hair laying around the woods that time of year.

Trail cams have a tendency to exagerate a lot of common stuff like that and we let our imaginations run wild. Zooming in only makes it look worse as the image quality starts to suffer.

attachicon.gif150086287.PozuZgol.jpg

/agree

• Like 1

attachicon.gif150086287.PozuZgol.jpg

Makes sense Wooly. I've got similar pics of the one you posted, but it makes sense that it may be the very beginning of shedding her winter duds.

I've had several hundred more photos of the local does, and haven't seen it again exactly like that one.

• Like 1

I don't mean to get too off topic, but here's a quick link that describes why you loose image quality when you zoom in with digital cameras.

Maybe phade has more info on this, but I also heard that some trail cam manufacturers are exaggerating their camers megapixel ratings by adding useless megapixels this way with interpolation.

I don't have any specific brand in mind, but your 20MP trail cam may in reality only be a 6MP cam.

http://cameras.about.com/od/technologies/a/what-is-interpolation.htm

Edited by wooly
  • Like 2

I don't mean to get too off topic, but here's a quick link that describes why you loose image quality when you zoom in with digital cameras.

Maybe phade has more info on this, but I also heard that some trail cam manufacturers are exaggerating their camers megapixel ratings by adding useless megapixels this way with interpolation.

I don't have any specific brand in mind, but your 20MP trail cam may in reality only be a 6MP cam.

http://cameras.about.com/od/technologies/a/what-is-interpolation.htm

Thanks Wooly - good info here!

• Like 1

Most game cams are 5mp or less native resolution. The rest is interpolation as wooly noted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was just a rumor I heard and thought to pass along, but glad to hear it can be confirmed.