deer lures

eagle rider

what's your special formula for lay scents down?  Let's get a thread ripping on a hot Saturday!  What do you, and don't you like and why?  There is a lot of trash out there for sure.  I'd like to hear what folks think of different products/methods.  I can tell you what's been good for me over the last few years.  I find Nose Jammer around my stand as I'm getting in does a good job blocking everything that stinks of human.  I've had deer lay on ferns I've sprayed on it an hour earlier.  That said I use that to cover my scent up.  20 yards out in front of that I'll use a time of the season specific.  I like the off brand stuff that folks don't use a lot of.  James Valley makes great stuff, Wall Hanger, Full Draw or Wow have all got deer to me.  For sure less is more with concentrated stuff.  

I've messed around with the Nose Jammer and the Conquest Ever Calm at times.  That seem stop work well too.  

Short of that outer wear get washed in Dead Down Wind (let's hear it for NY Company)!  And boots and coats/bibs are always sprayed with Primos or some other that is earth scented.

Anyways, whats your secret deer hunting voodoo?

Edited by eagle rider

I don't use any . Oh I have from time to time, and a couple years ago I put out Ever Calm and had a young buck lick  it off the branch . 

I try to,keep scent free well that's next to impossible , I try not to stink to much and use the wind to decide my Stand ,approach  and departure , that's my grand plan .

Myself  I prefer to leave the woods in its natural state.

although bagging and moving a licking  branch sounds like something I may try someday.

Oh and I've had great luck with Atomic Fireballs.

• Like 6

There is so much "smell" stuck out in the woods surrounding me at the wrong times...when ever I have tried at the correct time...they spoke more than if they had actually seen me out there waving at them...I stick to food based smells like smoking stick for bears...berry..it's more of a curiosity thing...Though I do use a urine based one on my bobbin head buck/doe decoy...Then they have a visual cue with the scent

Edited by growalot

28 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

I don't use any . Oh I have from time to time, and a couple years ago I put out Ever Calm and had a young buck lick  it off the branch . 

I try to,keep scent free well that's next to impossible , I try not to stink to much and use the wind to decide my Stand ,approach  and departure , that's my grand plan .

Myself  I prefer to leave the woods in its natural state.

although bagging and moving a licking  branch sounds like something I may try someday.

Oh and I've had great luck with Atomic Fireballs.

Larry nailed it.  No lures except fireballs.  He counseled me on the fireballs last year.  

• Like 2

I too have used a variety of scents over the years, tinks 69 and code blue were the ones that worked the best. But now I  just keep my body and clothes clean with scent free soap. And store hunting clothes in scent free totes. I'm super aware of stand approach and wind direction while hunting! And absolutely refuse to hunt a set up if the wind is not right! And use no attraction scents at all, preferring to keep things as natural as possible. I've found that I can fool younger bucks with scents and such in my area, but the more mature ones, not so much. 

However, I'm curious about Atomic Fireballs? Please explain!

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not sure how it works grumpy but when Larry gave us some 30-30 ammo last year, he included 2 fireballs and phade and I both shot decent bucks.  Draw your own conclusion.  

Hey Larry, what would it take to have you send me a handfull of fireballs? We may be on to something here! I'm certain the ones I'd get locally wouldn't work as good! Must be a special batch of em.:heat:

I don’t start using any scents till the 31 of October and I use North Country scents. Unless I see rutting activity beforehand.

This will start some trouble. The state was on the verge of BANNING all urine base scents this year, and is recommending that hunters not to use urine base scents. I’m sure they will look at this again down the road. They were going to put the ban in place to prevent the possibility of the spread of CWD though urine base scents. It is possible for CWD to be spread by urine base scents. But I don’t know how likely that is to happen.

There are other states that have ban their use.  

I screwed around with some Tinks many years ago, I applied it on felt pads that were worn on the bottom of rubber boots. The idea behind the instructions was when you walked to your stand a horny buck would hit your track and come in to you. Never saw any bucks but I had two Coyotes and one black Lab follow the trail to my stand.

Al

• Like 1

The buck is the first deer I ever killed back in the early '80s. My friend gave me a 35mm film can with Cotton balls in it, we then poured in Tinks 69 , and he walked out of the woods nose down right to,it in a winter wheat field and I dropped him with a smooth bore mod11 bird barrel ....  The years  following I must have dumped a few gallons of that stuff in the woods, and failed to repeat .

Ah Atomic Fireballs, here's the deal. When you've been sitting awhile and deer movement is dead, pop one in your mouth , before its gone ( about 20 minutes if you don't chew it ) you'll see a deer . If you look carefully at the base of the trees on all those " hunting" shows you'll spot the wrappers on the ground , if you look closely at photos of Milo Hanson you'll see his lips and tongue are overly red ....

Some say the reason Mitch Rompola won't have his " world record " WT scored is he doesn't want the world to know he's uses Atomic Fireballs .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, growalot said:

Larry what ever works...but due to them being a possible choking hazard,ya know my luck,I'll have to stick with Tootsie pops...:wink:

:whistle: No comment. LOL

I have never used scents. I did drop a bottle of apple juice from my stand one morning and the red squirrels wouldn't stop barking and running around looking for apples. Hmm, Would juice be considered a scent attractant or bait? 

So many people were putting Tinks 69 out that the deer could smell it no matter where they traveled . I have never had much luck with any scents . One time when I pee'd out of my ladder stand a button buck came over and sniffed the area below me . I probably should have bottled that stuff ! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

okay, we've established nothing other than fire balls are liked by most....  :-)

Never used scents, so hoping to learn something reading this. I was serious though, I wounder if apple juice around the stand is baiting or an attractant. 

8 hours ago, Larry said:

I don’t start using any scents till the 31 of October and I use North Country scents. Unless I see rutting activity beforehand.

This will start some trouble. The state was on the verge of BANNING all urine base scents this year, and is recommending that hunters not to use urine base scents. I’m sure they will look at this again down the road. They were going to put the ban in place to prevent the possibility of the spread of CWD though urine base scents. It is possible for CWD to be spread by urine base scents. But I don’t know how likely that is to happen.

There are other states that have ban their use.  

If you drank the Kool Aid you may believe this CWD hoax . Those of us that like to use the facts and real world actions believe this is a crock of ....!  You are right that CWD prions can be spread by urine but so far after 50 years its only possible by a needle and Syringe.

You are right on the on your dates and using fresh scent right from the tap. I dont think they will look to hard at the banning after they saw the lawsuit waiting on a signature. 

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Copenhagen straight spit upwind so you get some in your beard! If everything feels just right I'll use tinks 69 on a tampon dragged behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't that what those STRINGS are for  ?

• Like 1