Butt out! The best piece of gear I ever bought!

Chef

My go to knife is a KaBar Little Finn with a 4" blade . I have had one for over 40 years . I was given a new one last Christmas . I don't carry in on my belt for fear of losing it . I keep it in the backpack . I also take a few of the red plastic things at Lowes that you tie onto lumber when hauling it . When I set my knife down , it goes on the red plastic . I can see where an orange handle on a knife would be a great feature .

Ka-Bar Little Finn.png

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

When I get too lazy to carry a couple of extra items in my backpack I will quit hunting .

I used to do long distance bike touring and still backpack.

One gets thrifty on carrying only what is essential, and I still pack that way for everything.

Most of where I hunt requires a 2-3 mile hike in and I always plan an overnight in general.

Lazy got nothing to do with it......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, growalot said:

Never used one...best advise a good SHARP knife and playtex type gloves.

Not just ANY sharp knife, it is best if the blade is conducive to performing the job of cutting a very difficult thing to pinch, pull and hold with an easy push in and then coring it out while still pinching the anus.  A skinning knife will make things miserable..... :)

Sharp knife……..nuff said. I use either a Buck 110 or a slightly smaller Camillus. Both lock backs, both old and both very sharp.

I think I told this story before but, anyway……..My buddy's son shot a big doe a few years back. I found it for him , right before dark, in a cut field. The kid had been singing the praises of the "Butt Out" during our whole trip. What ever. Im sitting on my  ATV while shining the lights on the doe, as the kid is gutting it out. He is using the mighty "Butt OUT". I see the kid struggling and after he spends a good 10 mins. on the ass end, I ask him what the F? …He says that the Butt out is stuck in the deer. I climb off my ATV and shine my flash light at his "work area" and let him know that he put the Butt Out in the wrong "opening". Did I mention that the deer was a Doe??  

• Like 6

Sharp knife……..nuff said. I use either a Buck 110 or a slightly smaller Camillus. Both lock backs, both old and both very sharp.

I think I told this story before but, anyway……..My buddy's son shot a big doe a few years back. I found it for him , right before dark, in a cut field. The kid had been singing the praises of the "Butt Out" during our whole trip. What ever. Im sitting on my  ATV while shining the lights on the doe, as the kid is gutting it out. He is using the mighty "Butt OUT". I see the kid struggling and after he spends a good 10 mins. on the ass end, I ask him what the F? …He says that the Butt out is stuck in the deer. I climb off my ATV and shine my flash light at his "work area" and let him know that he put the Butt Out in the wrong "opening". Did I mention that the deer was a Doe??  

Hopefully he learned a little about anatomy on that one. Or his first girlfriend won't be a girlfriend long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I use a Sagen saw to split the pelvis. I still core the anus first, but I find splitting the pelvis makes it easier for to do a clean job. The saw goes into my "death bag" -a gallon size Zip-loc that holds my Buck Vanguard, saw, gloves, a small drag rope, zip ties for securing tags and some baby wipes for clean up.

Will

I also saw thru the pelvis with a small Gerber folding saw that is about the same size and weight as a Butt-out II.  It costs about the same, but can do many other jobs such as trimming limbs from shooting lanes, quartering a deer, building a shelter, etc..   The best thing about cutting thru the pelvis and opening it up is that it allows you to see clearly that everything is cleaned out.   With a Butt-out, its pretty much just "poke and hope".  

Splitting the pelvis allows the deer to be opened up further for faster cool-down after gutting, which improves the quality of the venison.  For me, as a pure "meat-hunter", who does all my own butchering, it is all about the venison and doing all I can to maximize it's quality on the table.   I suppose for the guys just looking to get their deer dropped off quick to a processor, the Butt-out would be a valuable tool. 

Edited by wolc123
spelling correction

I also saw thru the pelvis with a small Gerber folding saw that is about the same size and weight as a Butt-out II.  It costs about the same, but can do many other jobs such as trimming limbs from shooting lanes, quartering a deer, building a shelter, etc..   The best thing about cutting thru the pelvis and opening it up is that it allows you to see clearly that everything is cleaned out.   With a Butt-out, its pretty much just "poke and hope".  

Splitting the pelvis allows the deer to be opened up further for faster cool-down after gutting, which improves the quality of the venison.  For me, as a pure "meat-hunter", who does all my own butchering, it is all about the venison and doing all I can to maximize it's quality on the table.   I suppose for the guys just looking to get their deer dropped off quick to a processor, the Butt-out would be a valuable tool. 

I respected this comment until the end! I use the butt out but also butcher my own dear I am a professionally trained chef and can assure you that you do not need to split the pelvis to butcher or cool a deer just pop the ball joints in the hind legs and you do the same thing... Call this a tool for someone who knows less than you is a a hole comment

• Like 1

You truly can't make a post without making yourself higher than the rest can you?

I see that Amazon is selling them for less than $10 this year.   If they get down to $5, I might give one a try.  For those of you who use them and do your own butchering, have you ever split the pelvis later to verify that everything was removed?  I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, and I realize that many folks don't have the time to do their own butchering.    Don't fret about calling me names etc, as there is nothing anyone can say or do to piss me off.   

I see that Amazon is selling them for less than $10 this year.   If they get down to $5, I might give one a try.  For those of you who use them and do your own butchering, have you ever split the pelvis later to verify that everything was removed?  I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, and I realize that many folks don't have the time to do their own butchering.    Don't fret about calling me names etc, as there is nothing anyone can say or do to piss me off.   

Are you eating the meat where the butthole once was because I don't... And just rinse the cavity with cool water

• Like 1

I do my own butchering and have never spit a pelvis. If you don't hit guts and do a thorough gutting and "bunging" job I dot think it's necessary.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I had a college coach that could remove a butt with just a nasty stare and a few words.  I just ask him to stop by when we have a deer down.

I wonder if he was ever in the Army? Cause I had a drill sergeant at boot camp in 74, just like that!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...