Your shot placement

upstatehunter

Depends on if Im using a bow or a gun, if Im on the ground or elevated, if the deer is quartering to or away, etc.

On a dead broadside shot with a gun, I aim for center height and slightly to the back of the front shoulder. If you hit it right, you take both front legs out and the front lobes of both lungs. Ill go for a double lung/offside shoulder if they are quartering away, and near side shoulder/double lung if quartering to. Neck shots if they are close and standing still, but I like the neck meat so I try not to do that.

With a bow, Im going for double lung no matter what, and I try to punch the heart if I can.

• Like 2

Aim for the head with buckshot (because it doesn't penetrate into the body cavity very well, and any miss should be a clean miss), aim for the front shoulder with a slug gun or rifle (even if you miss by a few inches, you are in the kill zone), and aim right behind the shoulder with an arrow (need to hit both lungs and heart if possible).

On a broadside shot, I line the vertical crosshair up with the front leg, raise up until the horizontal crosshair is 1/3 to 1/2  the distance from brisket to back, and trip the trigger.

Most often I hit the heart, and if  a little high/back the lungs...Both good..The deer may run a bit but  will not go far and will usually leave a good blood trail.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

On a broadside shot, I line the vertical crosshair up with the front leg, raise up until the horizontal crosshair is 1/3 to 1/2  the distance from brisket to back, and trip the trigger.

Most often I hit the heart, and if  a little high/back the lungs...Both good..The deer may run a bit but  will not go far and will usually leave a good blood trail.

I cant bring myself to hit them in the heart with a gun. I just like eating the hearts too much. Rather save that than the tough shoulder meat.

• Like 1

with a gun I've squared up on the front shoulders to get vitals and take out bone in both front legs so they basically don't take a step.  since I've found it destroys waaayyyyy too much meat.  i don't care if it's not the straps or loins.  it equates to a lot of casseroles, burgers, and other ground prepped food.  I've hit them in the neck on rare occasion that's worked fine but at pretty close range with a 30-06.  same thing lose a lot of meat, also it's not vitals.  sure it works but no guarantee like vitals.  double lungs and if I can take out the heart then even better because it won't go far.  I do eat and very much like heart and always check to see if I hit it or if it can go in a plastic bag for dinner that night or the next.

with bow it's lungs and/or heart.  quartering away or broadside only.  aim bottom 1/3 or sometimes lower depending on how far the shot is and what the deer is doing.  they can drop a long ways if they're 30+ yards out.

If broad side I aim 1/3 up tight to the elbow with a gun or bow. If I'm gun hunting I'm usually up north in the ADKS and 90% of the time the deer is moving/running and I aim for the vitals no matter the angle. I use heavy for cal Bullets so I know I will get total penetration no matter on where the bullet enters. If it's a facing me or facing away I know my bullet will get into the vitals and exit. Everything I use gun,bow,or muzzleloader I want 2 holes so if a deer is quartering away I aim a little further back to avoid hitting shoulder if I'm using a bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

another thing... with an arrow I can clip guts a little if it's say hard quartering away.  prefer not to open stomach at all.  ....with a gun though never, ever.  i'll let it walk if I think it'll be close to the guts, even if it means it'll still get vitals.  it's just no good. lol

And with a gun if your shot is a little forward u take both front wheels out and it makes a 2nd shot very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoulder....I tend to pull to the rt if not on my game(tired)...shoot the shoulder and they drop...because I have always shot shoulder, It some times happens in bow. That drops them like a rock as well...but with archery I aim tight behind shoulder. I take enough deer I really do not care if a little shoulder meat it ruined nothing goes to waste the boys love it and all the rest of the bones as well.

PS.... hunting steep terrain...you bet they can go a heck of a long ways with a lung hit.. lost a couple at camp Basically dead deer running 100 yrds or more...no recovery rights for ANY hunters...can't blame him ...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

With bucks, I like the center lung, just behind the shoulder, mostly because it gives the greatest margin for error, but also because it ruins very little good meat.   I don't like hitting the heart with a gun, because that is one of my favorite parts to eat and the "shock" of the bullet really messes it up.   I have often gone there with arrows (and a bolt) however.  That don't ruin the tissue and just makes for a little less slicing later when cutting it up to eat. 

I do prefer shoulder shots on doe with a gun, and am willing to sacrifice a bit of meat there for two reasons:  If she has fawns with her, as is usually the case, dropping her in her tracks makes it easier to keep the family together on their journey to "deer heaven" (my family's food supply).   Second, having that "fresh doe" in range can attract a buck to the same spot, sometimes in just a few minutes.    Trading a few ounces of meat for a good chance at a "double" or more is a real good deal.     

I have been fortunate in that recovery rights have never been an issue...I have always had good relations with my neighbors.

One of my buddies grew up hunting PA public land where if a deer ran 100 yards there was a good chance somebody might be putting his tag on your deer before you got to it.  He wants his deer to drop RIGHT THERE and could care less about some meat damage, probably because he doesn't butcher his own deer.  He aims for what he calls the SWEET SPOT, which is right where the shoulders, spine and the base of the neck come together.

Tracking the "double-lungers" is cool, especially when they run into a field of standing corn.   You know they won't get too far when the blood is dripping from the stalks on each side.  I have been looking forward to a night track, since I picked up some "bloodglow" a couple years ago.  That "CSI" stuff, when mixed with water, is supposed to make tiny drops of blood glow brightly under the star or moon light.   The trouble is, the two bucks I killed since getting it have fallen dead after a 40 yards run (heart shot bolt), and in his tracks (diagonal thru chest, quartering away - 30/06 rifle).   If anyone hits one with a bow and can't find it at between OCT 1 and OCT 14, shoot me pm and we will see how it works.   If I find your deer , I would only ask for the heart and liver (if it's a young one).  After that, I am heading to the NZ for ML season.

Tracking the "double-lungers" is cool, especially when they run into a field of standing corn.   You know they won't get too far when the blood is dripping from the stalks on each side.  I have been looking forward to a night track, since I picked up some "bloodglow" a couple years ago.  That "CSI" stuff, when mixed with water, is supposed to make tiny drops of blood glow brightly under the star or moon light.   The trouble is, the two bucks I killed since getting it have fallen dead after a 40 yards run (heart shot bolt), and in his tracks (diagonal thru chest, quartering away - 30/06 rifle).   If anyone hits one with a bow and can't find it at between OCT 1 and OCT 14, shoot me pm and we will see how it works.   If I find your deer , I would only ask for the heart and liver (if it's a young one).  After that, I am heading to the NZ for ML season.

I actually am getting a trail pack to test for a new company that a little pack of nontoxic powder goes onto arrow behind broadhead weighs 15 grains and makes the blood glow under uv light Wich comes in start pack...I'll have more info when it arrives

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I actually am getting a trail pack to test for a new company that a little pack of nontoxic powder goes onto arrow behind broadhead weighs 15 grains and makes the blood glow under uv light Wich comes in start pack...I'll have more info when it arrives

Wow that sounds awesome! Id love to see how it preforms in the field, but I have a bad suspicion that it will only glow for a few yards. 

Wow that sounds awesome! Id love to see how it preforms in the field, but I have a bad suspicion that it will only glow for a few yards. 

They are telling me it works has been tested now they are in mass testing stage before producing in numbers I'm color blind so can't wait to use it hope it works I'll post it up when I get it as long as they give me permission (I'm sure they will)

• Like 1