130 yard bow shot on a running animal

Core

3 hours ago, Bowguy 1 said:

No one should be shooting 40 running either. It's not about what's more evil. 50 yards is too long even w a crossbow. They shed velocity quickly n wind, drop etc all comes into play. Yes off a solid rest they are certainly more accurate but in the woods Theres vines limbs etc. It's possible but Id not advise this

50 yards is absolutely not too far for a powerful crossbow if somebody is good with it. These things can reach better than compounds and for a skilled bowhunter 50 yards is fine with a vertical as well. But that's somebody who practices consistently and has proven accuracy. Most of the guys at my range never even practice past 30 because even with that they struggle to get the arrow into a vital area.

And new guys getting into archery are going to just because they think is easy no big deal  to take 100 yard  plus shots at deer  with a bow

I'm guessing any new archer who spends time shooting at 40, then 50 yards is going to be heastily disabused of any ideas of shooting at game at 100 yards.

2 hours ago, Core said:

50 yards is absolutely not too far for a powerful crossbow if somebody is good with it. These things can reach better than compounds and for a skilled bowhunter 50 yards is fine with a vertical as well. But that's somebody who practices consistently and has proven accuracy. Most of the guys at my range never even practice past 30 because even with that they struggle to get the arrow into a vital area.

I'm guessing any new archer who spends time shooting at 40, then 50 yards is going to be heastily disabused of any ideas of shooting at game at 100 yards.

It's too far for any bow. Too many variables. Imo crossbows take limited skill in comparison to compounds they take less than recurves but have you ever heard of jumping the string. It all seems so silly just learn to get close enough n less deer get wounded. I see your emphasis on experienced but it's still an arrow

• Like 1

I find it funny that certain individuals discredit someone's skills as "unethical" there are people in this world with natural talents way beyond most of our imaginations. My whole life growing up I was told 30yds is the max a bow should be shot. While I was in the service a couple of my buddies were from Idaho and were bow hunters. We went shooting one day and they had a target set up at 100yds I was laughing at them. After they explained that they hunt wide open prairie and rarely get shots inside of 40yds and most of their shots were 60yds I was amazed but after watching them and shooting with them for a couple years and seeing deer they killed it made me become dedicated to having the ability and set up to shoot longer ranges. In the right conditions I am 100% confident in my abilities at 60yds with my vertical bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I find it funny that certain individuals discredit someone's skills as "unethical" there are people in this world with natural talents way beyond most of our imaginations. My whole life growing up I was told 30yds is the max a bow should be shot. While I was in the service a couple of my buddies were from Idaho and were bow hunters. We went shooting one day and they had a target set up at 100yds I was laughing at them. After they explained that they hunt wide open prairie and rarely get shots inside of 40yds and most of their shots were 60yds I was amazed but after watching them and shooting with them for a couple years and seeing deer they killed it made me become dedicated to having the ability and set up to shoot longer ranges. In the right conditions I am 100% confident in my abilities at 60yds with my vertical bow.

Talked to an outfitter in South Dakota today about a Pronghorn hunt he's trying to fill a few spots for cheap.....

Average shot is 40yd and be prepared for 60yd for his terrain and set up.

Confident at 50, ironic is I need a new place to practice in the wind. The valley I shoot in is terrific for always being dead, but now I want some crosswind to play.

Shopping for airfare this evening, he does have a group that may buy all three tags that have first dibs, so we'll see.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What's unethical is shooting beyond ones effective range. Missed the first shot so it musta been further than his effective range. Yes this varies hunter to hunter but promoting it by airing it isn't good 

Maybe he can do a seminar somewhere like at a bowhunter jamboree type thing n show us his skill at shooting running erratic targets at 130? Most great shooters w natural talent beyond the imigination would love to show off n Itd be cool to see n his sponsors would love the publicity. Think about it he could silence all the critics. No questions from anyone if he was perfect right in front of us? 

I believe grown men that believe this is natural talent that we don't have the imigination for have an over active imigination n think professional wrestling is real n stay up late at night hoping to catch Rudolph on the roof or Bigfoot in the shed. Not saying the man couldn't sometimes hit at extreme range it's the overconfidence in some to think he can do this everytime, which he's proven he can't by missing the first shot. Where did the first shot go? Let's say it was 4" low. Pretty close at that range n maybe 8" from where he actually intended. Now that's a foot, a foot back could be a gut shot, vital yes but in a bunch of rough hours for the game. A foot forward n its in the shoulder or neck. Ah that's ok itll live it's worth the risk the guys on the NY hunt forum think I'm a hero

• Like 1

So, is this what we admire about bow hunting these days? Is that what it has all turned into? Our new hunter-heroes are those that just spray and pray, and when they get lucky, they claim skill? The guy that consistently gets within 20 yards or less of his prey to achieve high percentage, humane kills is just a guy who can't shoot all that well?  Is that what bowhunting has become?

Well, I'm not all that impressed. He has traded luck and risk for good legitimate hunting skills. Is that what we are trying to teach new bowhunters these days? ..... what are we saying with this demonstration of irresponsibility? It's only an animal, what the hell. Just keep shooting until something goes down.

• Like 2

I looked at it for what it was, impressed? not really, if he could make that same shot every time then that would be a different story, but we'll probably never know. The fact that not only would he risk a shot like that at an animal, but literally risk his own life running on that rocky slope with a nocked arrow really has me scratching my head.....but then I think back to some of the pioneers of bowhunting, and if you ever watched some of the early footage of the shots and distances involved you would be shocked as well.

Range is just one of many variables that go into killing an animal.  If most of the other variables are near optimum levels, then I know, from first hand experience, that it can be pushed out a bit with little risk of a wounded animal.  Some of the more important variables include: Hunter skill, freedom from obstructions, target position, target awareness, wind velocity/direction, rest, and impact energy.    

String jump would not be a factor at 130 yards.   In my experience, that has been the worst between 15 and 35 yards.  With archery equipment, I have only shot one deer past 35 yards, and he did not flinch until the bolt pierced his heart at 59.   He did a very fast 40 yard dash after that however.

Did anyone even bother looking up this guy, from all his videos and my knowledge of Tim Wells is that he is a phenomenal instinctive shot. He didnt take that 130 yard shot with the hopes of missing, he knew he could make the shot. What were the odds he could have made either of those shots in the video it we didnt see the video for ourselves, most would say slim to none, but he made not one but both shots. Do you call that luck or skill?  

• Like 1

What's unethical is shooting beyond ones effective range. Missed the first shot so it musta been further than his effective range. Yes this varies hunter to hunter but promoting it by airing it isn't good 

Maybe he can do a seminar somewhere like at a bowhunter jamboree type thing n show us his skill at shooting running erratic targets at 130? Most great shooters w natural talent beyond the imigination would love to show off n Itd be cool to see n his sponsors would love the publicity. Think about it he could silence all the critics. No questions from anyone if he was perfect right in front of us? 

I believe grown men that believe this is natural talent that we don't have the imigination for have an over active imigination n think professional wrestling is real n stay up late at night hoping to catch Rudolph on the roof or Bigfoot in the shed. Not saying the man couldn't sometimes hit at extreme range it's the overconfidence in some to think he can do this everytime, which he's proven he can't by missing the first shot. Where did the first shot go? Let's say it was 4" low. Pretty close at that range n maybe 8" from where he actually intended. Now that's a foot, a foot back could be a gut shot, vital yes but in a bunch of rough hours for the game. A foot forward n its in the shoulder or neck. Ah that's ok itll live it's worth the risk the guys on the NY hunt forum think I'm a hero

So because others can't do something it should've be aired?

I guess we shouldn't have a motorcycle or car race ever, or a skate boarder or hell even a home improvement show because I'm sure there is someone who doesn't know how to use a circular saw.

Why the hell is this any different? If there is a moron in this world who watches this guy take a 130yd shot and think he can do the same thing we most likely don't have to worry about him wounding anything because most likely he is paralyzed after trying a back flip on his dirt bike after watching the Xgames.

• Like 2

Seams a wide range of views. Lots of newer Bowhunters by this n I offer no means of disrespect I'm referring less than 20 years. At that time or maybe even 30 TV started getting ahold of guys n making em believe the extreme is the norm. 

When I grew up we shot longbows or recurves eventually compounds w fingers. Guys practiced til they were blue in the face loved every minute. We learned the game n our effective range. 

Nowadays a hunter turns on the tube or Internet n hears about guys flinging arrows effectively at long range. I'll tell you now I've been shooting for 45 years n seen lots. Watched Stacy Grosscup shoot aspirins from the air, seem guys use their foot to hold the bow n shot two arrows off the string at one time n hit a thrown Apple. Pretty cool to watch.

Some old time guys did shoot longer but they lived w the bow n in that high skill comes w it given natural talent. 

Today everyone is too busy to scout, hence the camera craze, too busy to shoot a bow, hence the crossbow craze among able bodied folks, too busy to find another spot bigger than 10 acres hence the "I gotta bait them on my piece" craze, too busy to learn to hunt the wind or find another spot hence ozonics. All Bowhunting I guess growing, or the manufactures of the products wallets at least growing.

Very few top archers actually hunt. By top I mean world champs n even then don't shoot 130 yards at running game. 

Bowhunting was meant imo to test our ability to get close enough to make the shot n pride in our ability n respect for the game. 

Im sure everyone has 60, 70, 100 yard pins. Nonsense, many sight adjustments won't hit past 60-70. I've seen lots of guys shoot n it ain't common to be so good. Possible yes. In a hunt situation, not probable. 

Easy to say how great we are on the computer being able to shoot perfectly in the wind, cold, tired, etc. No dif than the guy in the bar says he shoots 1000 yards at mule deer w his rifle or the guy at work who says his girl is a 10. 

Be realistic, hunt at your pace, don't try n outdo some tv idiot n push shots. As I said one bad shot can lead to wounded game n the pics of such go viral. 

Tv n the Internet are big reasons for this junk. Big reasons for lots of the worlds negative stuff so don't use it as your bible of facts

I remember getting crap on here for double lunging a 6.5 yo at 55 yds a few years back. That year I had ample time to practice, knew I had a long shot due to what my scouting revealed, set the stand and killed buck on Oct. 1 in less than two hours.

Would I take a 55 yd shot this year? Nope. Not enough time to practice this season to remain proficient at that distance.

That said there are some holier than thou people on this thread that like to hold judgement. Meanwhile, I'm writing this while looking up at that buck still on my wall. He hasn't moved too far the past few years for some reason.

These same guys taking the stances they do are the same ones watching evil knievil as kids. We need to recognize there are different skill levels and even with outside factors, one can still deliver a high percentage of time. Common? Maybe not.

Moog is a good example. He hasn't been shooting trad a long time but he is good enough that he could probably win a few competitions right now over people who have been lifetime archers. Him shooting a deer at 35 is completely in the realm of possibility as he is that good. I wouldn't even come close to that yardage when I shot with a trad bow. He is just that good, that fast. Is he the norm? No, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't take that right shot at 35.

• Like 6

I agree with the above post. Tim Wells is a freak of nature with a bow. If they had actually taken the time to research and watch his videos they wouldn't be so quick to judge. For the average hunter these shots seem impossible or irresponsible, I agree fully. Tim Wells is not your average hunter, can your average hunter shoot parakeets out of the sky with a compound? No. The guy shot the Tahr not once but twice on the run under pressure and both shots were fatal. And some of you are crying luck?? So I think some of you need to set your ego aside and acknowledge the man as a phenomenal shot.

• Like 4

this is why they need to put that "don't try this at home" disclaimer on certain videos, because people are stupid enough to think what they see is meant for everyone to do.......I once saw a video of a guy light himself on fire and they didn't put that disclaimer on the video first, so that afternoon I set myself on fire because I thought everyone should do that....stupid me.

• Like 2

Guys 55 yard shot? Why not set up dif. And yes it is luck. Again let him shoot at unknown targets in front of people. If he can props to him. Now if everyone understood it was a freaky guy Itd be dif. Gotta see the guys shoot in front of us instead of on TV, than it might be more believable as a norm. Long shots mean your hunting needs work since you can't possibly get close enough. 

Nothing has made folk's stupider faster than the smart phone.   The radio was bad, the television a little worse, the computer stepped it up.  Now we got Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump running for president.   They never would have gotten where they are now without the smart phone.  

• Like 1

I think it's just human nature to compare ourselves against one another. Those without the ability to pull off such extreme shots will try to discredit those who can, and those who can will say those who can't aren't dedicated enough.

I try to be realistic in assessing my archery abilities. When I finally realized  I wasn't a very good  long range shooter(outside 30yds), I decided to go the other way and now get more satisfaction out of my ability to get close to game. I TRY not to judge anyone else by their strong points or weaknesses and now just hunt my own hunt.

Trust me, there are enough dead deer laying around out there after season that they can't all be blamed on guys shooting outside their effective range. Chit happens even at close quarters as some of us found out. I would hope that most guys are at least taking shots they BELIEVE they can make, and not shots they HOPE they can just to keep up with their TV and internet idols.

IMO- we all have our own limits and extremes, and we should only measure our success by how well we perform within those ranges.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Well, I'm not all that impressed. He has traded luck and risk for good legitimate hunting skills.

I know nothing about tim wells, but if the video is to be believed he crept within six feet of this thing on shale!

Anyway here is the video of him shooting birds out of the sky. 

Not that I agree with the first shot at a running animal but there's a big difference in instinctive archery and the more modern pin shooting archer. A pinshooter wouldn't have a prayer on either shot.........

Like Jim Kelly hitting Andre Reed streaking down the sidelines..........Gimme 6!! 

I really can't understand why people get so upset watching one of the best archers around take a shot that HE is comfortable with. To say some young kid is going to watch this and wound animals is what's going wrong with this countries way of thinking. I'm 33 yrs old, when I was a 14 yr old with my bow I was taught never to shoot past 20 yards. I never did. As I got better my distances grew. I'm now comfortable shooting to 60 yards if everything was perfect. I knew my boundries and more importantly I was taught to respect the animal I was hunting, and because of that I would never just try a shot to see if I could hit the deer. This man has fired more arrows than probably most of the people that have responded to this thread combined. He is a amazing shot and knows his abilities. I say you should be able to see something like this and appreciate the skill and preparation it took this man to be able to shoot this well. If you don't like it don't watch it. Pretty simple.

• Like 3