LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Well I'm in the woods in my dads blind less than 100yds from where he passed a very long couple days ago. I couldn't take being home anymore. The amount of love our family has received both at home and on here has been truly amazing. My wife and mom couldn't believe it when I told them I was coming out and when I asked my brother he said he just couldn't. Between being coupes up these last couple days and the fact that dad would be pissed if I missed a day of hunting because of him I had to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone will be sitting next to you, with that old familiar smile. Good luck out there.

• Like 9

Ah...OK! I lasted a total of 1 1/2 hours before I tossed in the towel. The wind was cutting my face, my nose formed snot-cicles, and I resorted to jumping once more into the "Rat Mobile" to escape the cold and wind. As I stood there peering out, I got to thinking; "do I really want to gut a deer in this?, or, "God forbid I have to track one, do I want to do it in this weather?". Answer was a resounding "NO", and back to the house I slogged, through thigh deep drifts the entire way to the creek. Then balanced against the wind, I walked the 40 foot I beam that is  suspended high above the creek, that serves as my bridge.

Now back at the house and out of my hunting clothes, its time for some coffee, and listening to the wind howl away, happy with my decision to call it quits for the day.  

• Like 2

Well I sure hope tomorrow is a bit different. I haven't seen a deer since opening day. Winds are supposed to die down and suppose to have fresh snow. And pressure has been off for a bit now. Hopefully I get to at least see a deer. All small ones and little bucks get to walk. And this thread has gotten pretty quiet. Means season is coming to an end. Got a few more days. 

I hope the grey squirrels are moving this weekend, starting tomorrow morning.  That is what I am most after now with my crossbow (filling DMP's is secondary).  There is not much room left in our freezers, and I look forward to the challenge of the smaller kill-zone.  I will aim for a center-lung shots, with 125 grain, fixed broadheads.  Most of the meat on them is in the hind quarters, so no THS's on them, and I see head-shots as "unethical", even on squirrels.  Good luck to all those hunting this, the last weekend (for most of us) of deer hunting in NY state.          

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Yay. At least one dumb azz to join me in the live from the woods thread. No wait , Fletch will join us too.  

I've got Sunday and Tuesday too 

Count me in for the morning. Unless my nose falls off overnight! No kidding, the end of it turned white out there, and still looks a weird color. It's likely gonna be my last outing though, as we plan to go back out to my daughters. 

• Like 1

Headed out here in Oswego County, just west of the line. It's gonna be a frigid one, but I've killed many deer on days like tomorrow. I won't last long (plus I have a lunch meeting) but it will be good to get out. 

Saturday looks like a garbage weather day and I'll need make a game day decision on a drive to Whitney Point mid morning. 

I'll be out Saturday at least half a day with hunting buddies, Monday, and at least half a day Tuesday. It gets really windy where I hunt, so a day like Sunday is a no go. I wonder how crusty the snow will be on Monday after rain followed by frigid temps. (I don't think the rain will melt all of the snow Saturday night, but who knows.)

All of my deer guns are cleaned, oiled, and in long-term storage now.  Hopefully the crossbow gets a little action this weekend.  If not, at least there is an easy cleanup on that.   Then it's time to break out the .22 and side-by side 16 ga and get after the squirrels and rabbits.       

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

And tomorrow is Friday   See you out there 

Ha ha ha , sorry no way  I'm hunting in the AM with this weather , and joining the wife meeting up with her former co workers tomorrow night . Hey the freezer is over flowing , I can be picky ! 

Have not even pulled the bow back since Nov. 4th not sure I can at 10 degrees ....  I've never bow hunted the late season , and I've bow hunted since '88.

The good news is I just booked a trip to Key West for Jan. 

Edited by Larry302

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Wolc , 

I'm scratching my head here. Head shots on squirrels "unethical " but Texas heart shots on deer ok. 

But good luck with the tree rats. I'll be out tomorrow to try for another deer for as long as I can sit before freezing out 

TF,  So you can stop scratching:

The kill zone, centered on the a-hole of a standing deer, using a 150 gr 30/06 from 50 yards, looking from the back side, is approximately 8" diameter.   An adult deer brain is approximately 2-1/2" diameter (I know that from doing a few European mounts over the last few years).  If we define an ethical shot as one that kills the deer quickly, such that it can be recovered an eaten, then the THS is more than twice as "ethical" as the head shot.  The problem with the THS is not ethics, but how much meat is left to eat.  If the deer is properly aligned and the bullet is kept within a 3/4" diameter point of impact, the amount of destroyed meat approaches that of the good head shot.    

I do confess to one head shot on a squirrel however.  It was the last day of ML season many years ago when sidelocks, round balls, and no scopes were required.   About 2 minutes before sundown, a big gray jumped up on a stump below my stand.   I had to unload anyhow, so I aimed at it's head and pulled the trigger.  I had a hang-fire (just the cap went off, with a delay before the main charge ignited).  I held on his head for the additional time required to blow it clean off (less than 2 seconds).  I aimed for the head on that one because I thought a 50 cal ball tru the lungs would destroy most of the meat on the squirrel.  

Now just because squirrels are smaller and more numerous than deer, does not mean that they are not still God's creatures that should be treated with respect.  I enjoy eating squirrel from time to time as a change of pace.  I like the flavor more than rabbit.   

Edited by wolc123

34 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Well gents no morning hunt for me but will be doing the night hunts till the end of the season, took tonight off the wind and snow was just too crazy here...

Good luck 

It took me an hour and 45 minutes to go from the Hiawatha exit on 81 to Central Square this evening. No deer were moving in that nonsense. I'm hoping the calming winds and cold have made them want to eat....  so I'll see how long I can last in the AM.