LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

Figures. I see tree rats while deer hunting the early morning. Then we go to a different spot to scout and try and kill some tree rats and see nothing.

Did locate some fresher rubs, and found a few places to set the g/f up in a blind near them for the gun season. Met a guy on the walk out that told us to try asking the farmers in this area next season to hunt as most give permission. So it wasn't t total wash out.

Back to deer hunting in the morning.

• Like 1

Small single seat tree stands and back problems DON'T MIX!! Usually in a homemade oversize wood stand with a nice comfy chair or a blind. Decided after the blind this morning and seeing 6 doe, I would try the stand not far from it. Been here since 230 and my back is SCREAMING!!! Don't think I'll do this again... Oh well, little be worth it if sooner with horns shows itself

9 hours ago, Cory said:

Good luck greg54. I'm in 9m also. Haven't seen anything but yearlings so far this year. Hope it changes today!

Didn't see a thing this morning but some turkeys walking across ravine. Packed it in at noon and headed home. Will head up to my sisters in 9a tomorrow give it a go. Good luck if your still out, I was hunting Machias area this morning.

Phone died on me this am saw a 4 pt walk right under my stand. 0745 He's lucky for AR. Half hour later big doe running right past me , so I'm waiting on the 8 I know is in those woods,we'll still waiting . My bow season over as I have family stuff sat n Sunday. Will be up for gun on next Saturday. Good luck to all. I guess shouldn't have passed on that 6 pt . Bow tag soup for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need some advice. Around 8 am I shot a nice buck. He ran about 30 yards from where he was hit, he stopped then started to walk away. I waited maybe 30 minutes to an hour and started on the blood trail. I found some hair and some really large piles of blood. I tracked him pretty damn far but eventually lost blood and couldn't find him. Then I had a nice 7mile walk back to the house. I regrouped and went back out. I found my arrow with blood all over it. Searched till dark but found no more blood trails. I feel horrible that I can't find him not sure what else to do. Any suggestions guys ?

9 minutes ago, All4thebucks said:

Need some advice. Around 8 am I shot a nice buck. He ran about 30 yards from where he was hit, he stopped then started to walk away. I waited maybe 30 minutes to an hour and started on the blood trail. I found some hair and some really large piles of blood. I tracked him pretty damn far but eventually lost blood and couldn't find him. Then I had a nice 7mile walk back to the house. I regrouped and went back out. I found my arrow with blood all over it. Searched till dark but found no more blood trails. I feel horrible that I can't find him not sure what else to do. Any suggestions guys ?

Not a bow hunter but will quote what I've read on here. What color was blood ? Arrow smell like gut shot ? Color of the hair ? Grid search ?  Deer search an option ? 

Just saw you post pics of blood before I hit reply 

Edited by turkeyfeathers

10 minutes ago, All4thebucks said:

Did you see where you hit it? Got any bubbles in the blood? Looks like dark blood?

Interesting that today I saw 7 bucks and 7 does within ~30min, but my daughter was sitting 150-200 yards from me and never saw a thing. From activity over the past 2 days at that stand, I would have put money on it that she would have been the one to see the deer.

Also, after the big buck gathered his harem of 6 does, there were 6 other lonely bucks just standing around. I tried grunting and estrus bleating, but got no interest! WTH...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, All4thebucks said:

White hair I found my shot might have been a little low I'm thinkin. I saw heavy blood like in the pics I posted and further into the track it was more like a splat all the way down to just drops. That's when I lost the trail.

Looks like a good bloodtrail. Unfortunately, you might have pushed it by taking up the trail too soon. You tracked it a long ways. Might want to consider looking to see if any Deer Search members are in your area and give them a call.

White hair I found my shot might have been a little low I'm thinkin. I saw heavy blood like in the pics I posted and further into the track it was more like a splat all the way down to just drops. That's when I lost the trail.

Well the leaves look like here so I imagine loud as hell so if you bumped him he was keeping moving.

Did arrow have any gut smell or any color not red?

Did you see hit?

Pass through?

You said 7 mile walk but how far did blood trail go from hot to you losing?

And lastly are you experienced tracking?

19 minutes ago, All4thebucks said:

Did that broad head not open? Or did u close it? And u can either wait till morning and search again or call deer search. They prob won't come out till morning. Good luck hope u recover it! Temps are cold enough. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, All4thebucks said:

IMG_4555.JPGIMG_4549.JPGIMG_4551.JPG

That looks like dark red liver to me.  I guess color on photo could show different.  Did you shoot it a bit back?   Assuming liver, I would have let that buck sit for 3 hours minimum.  Either grid search from last blood or call deer search I bet that buck is dead and it's just a matter of finding him now. Good luck

• Like 4

I didn't close the head I found it like that. I have noticed that sometimes when the arrow comes out of the deer the head can close. I tracked him from where I hit him where there was heavy blood to lost blood I think maybe about 300 yards. It's just where I came out on the road I had to walk back to the house. I have tracked deer before absolutely but I wouldn't say I'm an expert at it. Just feel bad there an injured or fatally wounded deer in the woods and I can't properly harvest him.