Bold trespassers

BowmanMike

I just found somebody's hang on stand on my friends property that only another friend of mine and I are allowed to hunt. Saw the screw in steps a while back and didn't get around to take them out. Now I got a hang on stand as well. We put a posted sign with my number on the tree,maybe I will get a call,but kinda don't think so.

I suspect it belongs to the same guys that left two hang on stands up on my father in laws property all year. So I have three new hang ons. They must get tired of their stands disappearing soon I hope.

Anyone feel like I should not take the stands?

Trespassing fines are a joke,so this costs them a little more money.

• Like 2

I don't see a problem with you taking the stands, we have done the same. The problem comes when the guy gets pissed and starts mouthing off at you because you took his stands that were on your property. :fool: I wouldn't admit to taking the stands until you tell him he isn't allowed to be on the property and then if he gets mad and starts mouthing off tell him to get off your property and keep his stands otherwise I would give them back. Give him a warning that next time you are calling the police. I had a jerk take my 20' ladder stand with bow hanger and trail cam after giving back his stands so any stands on our property we don't give back anymore.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

IMO you are in the right. I would have done the same. I personally would give the stands back if he calls and is decent about it. If he man's up and calls admitting guilt with respect. Let him have the stand back with the promise that next time there will be law enforcement called and you will be keeping the stand. Gotta keep good karma on your side always. If he doesn't call or is a prick about it....enjoy your new stands lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Take down stand, leave it on the ground with a note saying that if you see this in another tree you are taking it. Hopefully he gets the hint. Also that the property is under video surveillance (doesn't matter if it is) and you are going to be prosecuting for trespassing from now on.

Agreed... If I've had permission to hunt a property but another individual who also hunts there isn't aware of that, they've always laid my stands on the ground.  Then we will talk things over.  It may be good to leave a note, and let the individual know the property is being watched closely, and that this is their warning

Yep we take them down leave a note on it and if they don't take it by the next time i usually leave it on the line. Then they put it back up and I take it lol. Today the trespassers hit a new level... Made a atv track though our field of goldenrod. 

Yea to me as a rider and hunter that is just disrespectful you don't ever ride thru fields crops or not. Always skirt the edge.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You take a guy's stand and he KNOWS you took it, he's liable to maybe screw with one of your stands.  

How? Well how about cut half way through a chain link, loosen a bolt, drill out the hole where you've screwed in a step etc. 

I'd pass on taking the stand but a note attached to the stand on the ground is fine.  Calling Johnny Law is the very next step......

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

You take a guy's stand and he KNOWS you took it, he's liable to maybe screw with one of your stands.  

How? Well how about cut half way through a chain link, loosen a bolt, drill out the hole where you've screwed in a step etc. 

I'd pass on taking the stand but a note attached to the stand on the ground is fine.  Calling Johnny Law is the very next step......

At the very least I would dismantle the stand and leave it by the tree for quick and easy collection

• Like 2

I had the same issue on a property that I owned. A guy hung a stand on my land that was clearly posted. I know he had shot a few deer there. I called the local police to see what my rights were and asked for suggestions. The police said that the stand was now mine because it was on my land. I did remove it and left my phone # on the tree. The guy called me and met with me to retrieve his stand. He gave me a lot of  Sh!! and told me that I was the person in the wrong. We almost came to blows but he backed down. I found out later that he lived down the street. I would have given him his stand back when we first met if he was a gentleman. I waited till the season was over and left it on his door step. Haven't heard or seen him since, that was 12 years ago. 

I took one last year with 4 ladder sections and his trail cam too.  Stand was brandy new with red warning stickers on it still and the plastic from his ratchet straps left on the ground at the base of his tree.  

Left a note on the tree that said "If you'd like your stand, cam, etc. back, call this number XXX-XXX-XXXX.  Also, pick up your trash, scumbag." With an arrow pointing down to the plastic bags.  Never got a call.  Only way for the guy to get to where he was was to cross through NYS Watershed Property that it is illegal for him to be on, too.  Checked his cam, only pictures on it were of me.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

I say leave the stand up. then grab some taco bell and come back and leave him a present on the seat!!!  there's no excuse for trespassers

Reminds me of the time I found someone's 5 gallon swivel seat bucket on my property............no one has been back to that bucket since!!!! hahahahah

I think I Have  you guys beat. I guy trespassed and hung his stand facing mine LOL. I went out and he was in his stand and told me he has permission But did not know it wasn't the land he could hunt on. I said great I know them well let me call them and they could show you there land. He says NO NO , I said get your shit and get out and stay out.

• Like 1

Another time I knocked on a person's door and accused the guy of tresspassing & hunting on my posted land. The guy denied it vehemently and started cursing at me. He asked why I thought it was him that I was after. I said because I followed your boot prints in the snow to this door. His wife said it to him best, " Your a Dumb Ass" She divorced him the next year.

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 3

I've taken down stands on property I bought and put them on the trail leading in leaning against a posted sign. My name and address on sign, some neighbor took the stands and came and talked, others put them back up, so I cut whole tree down with stand in it and smashed it to heck. They got the second hint. The ones that came and talked have become good friends and hunting partners ,they had permission. Previous owner and were.gald.I didn't take them, and they have a lot of property themselves but use to hunt the line, worked out best in.long run, the other smashed stand neighbors , well they stopped coming out to hunt all together.