I Took A Tumble

grampy

I know I'm not around the corner ( if I was I'd be more than happy to help) but if you need anything I'm confident there are some members on here that would step up and do the right thing....errands, shopping etc. There are some good people on this site so don't hesitate to ask

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Good to hear you're on the mend and is wasn't worse.

Have to admit no one would have a clue to where I am in the woods. Thought about a DeLormre  inreach or something when in the hills......hmmmm.

If my ordeal helps even one other hunter be more prepared for something totally unexpected, then it will all be worth it!

• Like 3

Hang on , I'll be right back...................

OK, I'm back.  Glad you're doing OK Grampy, things happen and I'd say you got out of that one pretty easy!  Makes you wonder how we did it without cell phones. :)

One thing that everybody could/should carry is a whistle.  Although mine is attached to my safety harness, it's always there just 5-6" from my mouth.  It's a Fox 40 Mini and it'll blow your mind how loud it is.  No pea to rattle around either........

image_zpsjhlmhrx1.jpeg

Edited by Lawdwaz
Add info......
  • Like 2

Glad you're OK.. ..Seems we always think of ourselves as kids.. We can't do what we use to. I have stopped dragging deer more than a short way, and I don't climb as high any more. Messed up knees, back, shoulders and just plain  getting old.  Fortunately, for me anyway, the guys I stared out hunting with, when we were kids, now have kids who do the grunt work for us. LOL!!  You're not alone my friend !!!! LOL!

11 hours ago, grampy said:

Yesterday morning going into my ground blind, I was heading down hill on a steep slope on an oak ridge. The ground was wet and a bit slippery but as always I was taking my time. I went to step over a large rock and as I placed my foot on the other side it flew out from under me. My lower/middle back and right elbow hit the rock and knocked the wind out of me. My bow hit hard enough to knock the quiver off. When I tried to get up, the pain in my back would not let me. So I laid there for awhile. My blind was only 40 yards away down hill so I painfully hobbled to it and took stock of my situation. Every breath brought pain from my back and my elbow was swelling fast, and no way could I get back up that hill on my own. Phone service is very sketchy in these hills, especially down where I was, but thankfully, I got through to my best friend, who lives on the property. So for the first time in 43 years of hunting together, I told him I was hurt and needed help. What normally is a 20 minute walk up to the road took us an hour and a half. I did not want to go to the ER by ambulance so he drove me down where my wife met me, as I was getting stange looks from people sitting there in full camo! After X Rays they found a stable hairline fracture in my spine and just a bad contusion on my right elbow. Treated with anti inflammatory's and bed rest. I was so "lucky"! The main reason for this post is to let everyone know that things "happen" out there even when you are careful. And for everyone to keep safe out there!

So true I hunt in areas that it's a crap shoot if the cell phone will work back in there . I have fallen before thankfully never got hurt . Now that I'm getting older I  watch every step like its, my last  .

Dang grampy !!! Heal fast my friend. Your grandson needs and wants you out there with him .And I'm sure vice versa
Side note for Iphone users; never a bad idea to "share location" with someone via a text. Someone will know exactly where you are.

Before the iPhone's "find friends" app, I used to use google latitude. It could very well be a life saver.

There's also other apps that has safety features built into them that allows you to press a button for help and it'll send your location to family, friends, and/or emergency personnel. Needless to say, data or SMS connection is required for these services to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I was given a shot of morphine at the ER and took a narcotic pain medication last night. It has me feeling a bit sick today, so just taking Tylenol for the pain from now on. I'm in a back brace until I follow up with an orthopedic Dr. on Wednesday. Can only stand for short periods. No lifting or bending. Elbow is very swollen but feeling a bit better. My bow has a broken quiver mount and the slide on my HHA sight was pushed all the way up so I'm sure it needs to be resighted. Cams and everything else looks to be ok? After leaving the ER my buddy went back for my gear and brought it to me last night. He looked more worried for me than I was and I know why we've been friends since we were boys. He was there when I needed him just like he always has been. Same for my wife and family. I keep telling them I'm fine! Dr. said I was lucky and I did right to go to the ER. And that any spinal fracture could be serious!  But I'm doing ok other than a bit of pain, I'll be just fine!  And will be back out hunting just as soon as I can! Got pic's of a few different bucks on that ridge! I don't always carry my phone while hunting. But grabbed it at the last second before leaving my truck. I will never hunt without it again!!! And implore each and every one reading this to do likewise! And to remember that no matter how careful you are, things can happen in an instant!  Do it for your family and your best friend. Because I've seen, they suffer more than you do.

Grampy, follow up with the docs, it could be serious. I live with back pain everyday, and I wouldn't wish it upon my worse enemies(well maybe a couple of them). Hope the recovery is swift.

I generally hunt with a buddy and carry both smart phone and a radio. On long cold days, I also carry a portable charger for the phone.

If you're going to hunt that ridge again in the future, it may be a good idea to put a rope all the way down to assist in getting down safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occasionally we get these little reminders that hopefully we live through without anything too serious and permanent happening.

Emergency communications is always a good idea. Since my stroke 16 years ago, I never am without my phone. That's not just my idea, but something my wife insists on. It can be a dangerous place out there. A little preparation for the unexpected is always a good idea.

Here's hoping you mend up well and quickly so the whole season isn't lost.

grampy glad to hear you are doing ok. my wife won't let me go out hunting by myself or with out my phone. I have had two operations on my back but I can still walk. I will only go hunting if my son is around or a friend of ours goes with me. when I do go out back of the house she is texting me if she does not hear from after a certain amount of time. so take and heal up quick.