What kind of dog for birds

We are looking for a hunting partner . I am very fond of the Brittany spaniel. Hubby likes a springer spaniel or lab . Which do you think would be better for birds like pheasent grouse or Woodcock's . I think the lab would be only good for ducks . Not sure about using a lab as a pointer. Thoughts please. 

That is like asking what kind of ice cream or truck is best, everyone is partial to a certain breed. I would consider how you like to hunt...with a bird that points (pointer, Brittany, or setter), or with a bird that flushes (Lab, springer, or Boykin).

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 3

Whatever breed you decide on make sure the lines are from hunting and not show, you want to look for a breeder that is actually hunting their dogs and breeds them based on their performance .

The Brittany is a pointing breed and can be a great little bird dogs and also a wonderful pet. 

Springers and Labs are flushers for the most part but some Lab lines point.

Wirehairs and Shorthairs from the right lines can be a more versatile breed in that they will also hunt fur like rabbits and coon.

For straight upland bird hunting I like an English Setter from field lines, they are medium size and do not have the long flowing fur like an AKC show type.

My favorite hunting breed is the Airedale Terrier, a versatile breed, I have had these Airedale dogs since I was a kid and when you get a good one they will hunt everything that walks crawls or flies.

Al

My old Tee Jay after a pretty fair day afield.

540995738fqsJSG_ph_zpsso5l9zz9.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, cynthiafu said:

We are looking for a hunting partner . I am very fond of the Brittany spaniel. Hubby likes a springer spaniel or lab . Which do you think would be better for birds like pheasent grouse or Woodcock's . I think the lab would be only good for ducks . Not sure about using a lab as a pointer. Thoughts please. 

I am a little partial to the Springers becasue I owned 2. But I would really ask yourself what type of hunting would you prefer to do. hunting behind a flusher like a Springer or a Lab is a whole different hunt than behind a pointer like a Brit, setter  or GSHP

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, airedale said:

Whatever breed you decide on make sure the lines are from hunting and not show, you want look for a breeder that is actually hunting their dogs and breeds them based on their performance .

The Brittany is a pointing breed and can be a great little bird dogs and also a wonderful pet. 

Springers and Labs are flushers for the most part but some Lab lines point.

Wirehairs and Shorthairs from the right lines can be a more versatile breed in that they will also hunt fur like rabbits and coon.

Al

My old Tee Jay

I can't agree more with your first sentence. That is HUGE!!!

Also if you do look into Springers look heavily into the true English Field lines. Their trials are fur and feather. The last Springer I had was not only an outstanding bird dog but would flush rabbits like a champ. he wasn't very soft in his mouth on a rabbit though for some reason. I use to take him up north to start snowshoes for a dog my uncle had. She was a GREAT runner but couldn't start a rabbit to save her life.  No matter what you decide, I can't think of a better bet that a hunting companion. 

• Like 3

The obvious answer is a Wirehaired pointing Griffon. 

Brit's are ok but can be a pain to train for a novice. Springers I don't know about. Lab? Forget it. ; ) 

take a look at some breeds from this list  https://www.navhda.org/registry/versatile-hunting-dog-breeds

I would take a gander at Small Munsterlanders. A versatile breed will do it all and then some. 

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Whatever breed you decide on make sure the lines are from hunting and not show, you want to look for a breeder that is actually hunting their dogs and breeds them based on their performance .

I prefer a balance of both show and hunting tested lines. The breed standards are very important and how would you keep those standards true if you don't show the dogs? 

Ex, the new thing with GSP and WPG in the US is the idea that bigger is better. Maybe in some cases it would be better but a dog over standard will not be able to maneuver well on the hunt in and out of a hedge row ect. You could carry the same thinking to hunt testing. If folks knew how simple some of the tests that get advertised are they would know that it's not a huge deal if a dog tests well in some cases. Basically take all of it with a grain of salt and do your best to dig a little deeper. 

• Like 1

I lean toward the springers, after having three of them...Wonderful dogs, and faithful house companions too.. My springers flushed woodcock, grouse, pheasants and rabbits and also did a fine job of retrieving  ducks...I also used them a few times to scatter turkey flocks....One of them actually CAUGHT a turkey once while scattering a flock..<<grin>>...

Any of the pointing breeds require a lot more formal training in order to be good hunting companions, including the britts..

• Like 3

I like the look of the German shorthaired pointer but hubby doesn't 

I have a Gsp and he is a great dog! Best house dog ever! I'll admit he even sleeps in the bed 0133b2c97cbef3f56715e00927dc5fa2.jpg. That is him on the couch with my wife... lol she got shy when she food out why I was taking the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I lean toward the springers, after having three of them...Wonderful dogs, and faithful house companions too.. My springers flushed woodcock, grouse, pheasants and rabbits and also did a fine job of retrieving  ducks...I also used them a few times to scatter turkey flocks....One of them actually CAUGHT a turkey once while scattering a flock..>...
Any of the pointing breeds require a lot more formal training in order to be good hunting companions, including the britts..

Having a number of gsp s and a gwp, as well as a bunch of other pointer work; Im in some disagreement. Some dogs have drive and instinct far beyond others. My last gsp male was teaching himself better than I could. I would say they tend to be needier dogs though. Each has its own personality and you should definitely factor in all the nonhunting time and your hunting desires in depth before ever looking at one. Hunt behind the parents as well. One more append- Learn how to pick the right pup personality before shopping!

• Like 3

I've only had one "hunting" dog and he is a Brittany. He was my first Father's Day present from my new born daughter 12 years ago and I (ME! Not you)would definitely get another one although the wife is done with dogs. There were times when she wanted him gone not because he was bad - she is not a "dog person." But she is convinced he saved my daughters life one day-daughter was choking in her playpen at about 14 months old when my wife was in the other room-dog went crazy- jumped in playpen and was nudging her to roll her over as my wife came running in.
I trained him myself through the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA) and read every book I could. All of his training happened in my backyard and neighboring Westchester county woods (no guns allowed). I HAD A BLAST working him into a serviceable (nowhere near finished) hunting partner and he produced often on state stocked pheasant, quail and we even hitting the woodcock right a few times.
That was all prior to me taking up bow hunting and prior to the new bow hunting opener of October 1. When that happened, I neglected his hunting time. But still, I get him out a few times a year and he works really well(great nose, non-stop drive, flash point at best but he snorts like a pig when he is on game so that works for us!)
The best part of Trico is how great of a family dog he is. He was a puppy still when my twins were born so he was trained to be very gentle as the patient of many childhood dr check ups and dentist appointments (my kids favorite game with him-cramming thermometers, fake shots, and whatever else they could find in any holes that needed to be checked).
His bloodlines are strong from a Brittany breeder- name escapes me now but could find it if interested).
My long-winded two cents.

• Like 1

Thank you all I have been reading up on all sporting breeds and learning about all of them . Now I am reading on the training and hunting parts of it . I am looking in to alot of things before I jump in . We have a dog now she is a miniature schnauzer she loves to go with us when we bird hunt but she is not a pointer or flusher .Lol she is a chaser  squirrels deer foxes  everything that runs lol so . I will keep looking and reading . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cynthiafu said:

Thank you all I have been reading up on all sporting breeds and learning about all of them . Now I am reading on the training and hunting parts of it . I am looking in to alot of things before I jump in . We have a dog now she is a miniature schnauzer she loves to go with us when we bird hunt but she is not a pointer or flusher .Lol she is a chaser  squirrels deer foxes  everything that runs lol so . I will keep looking and reading . 

Another item to consider, some dogs like setters and some spaniels have longer hair, that needs to be combed often or trimmed, and gets tangled and filled with burdocks out in the woods. Shorter haired dogs are easier to maintain that way, but get cold quicker and when they shed, the hair is next to impossible to pick up.

I'm looking into a feist or cur for squirrel hunting, but something tells me if I bring home another dog, I will be sleeping outside in a kennel with them. Mrs. Uncle Nicky has been pretty good about my bringing home hunting dogs so far, but a 3rd may be pushing the limits....

• Like 2

Another thing to consider is how much  time you will be able to invest into either training your dog or keep up with refreshers if you have a pro trainer do all the initial work.  With a pointer, if from a good breeder, the pointing is the easy part as they are born with that ability but the training involves making sure the dog doesn't bust birds before you get within gun range. 

As to a flusher, the major training involves getting the dog to walk within gun range and work the ground in front of you.  I think it is a little easier as training goes.  

Also if you go on you tube and put in search for grouse hunting you can see some good videos of all types of dogs working including labs who have the natural retrieve after the shot.

Good luck and have fun   

Just my opinion on the training aspect. I'm a weekend warrior when it comes to bird hunting. I have a full-time job and a family so my life isn't totally dedicated to my dog. I'm sure many others in the same boat as me. I'd love to spend all day training and hunting but that's just not the reality. If you get a dog from a reputable breeder with proven blood lines you're already ahead of the game.  With that being said if you put in the time your dog will be fine. Basicobedience is a must. Simple commands like come  go a long way in the field. My dog is not much of a retriever but I put that on myself because it isn't something that I really worked on. But as far as finding birds and listening in the field I couldn't ask for anything more.   I had all these grand aspirations when I got him but reality set in with a full-time job and commuting to work and a family on top of that. Being  that I hunt on the weekends I didn't find it justifiable to send him to a professional trainer which would have cost thousands of dollars.  I would look into NAVHDA. I went to a training once which was really informative.  I ended up not becoming a member because I was fortunate enough to have a quill pen and land to train on but I think for the cost and knowledge they bring it is worth it.   But if you have the time and lnd you should be able to train the dog on your own.  

Good luck!

I was giving my advice from the point of view of a pointing dog. I'm not familiar with flushers so maybe my advice wouldn't pertain to them.

Edited by diplomat019

On 1/10/2017 at 8:35 PM, gjs4 said:

Having a number of gsp s and a gwp, as well as a bunch of other pointer work; Im in some disagreement. Some dogs have drive and instinct far beyond others. My last gsp male was teaching himself better than I could. I would say they tend to be needier dogs though. Each has its own personality and you should definitely factor in all the nonhunting time and your hunting desires in depth before ever looking at one. Hunt behind the parents as well. One more append- Learn how to pick the right pup personality before shopping!

We have a GSP that I don't hunt but should have, she is gun shy but one heck of a nose and loves to point. It came very natural for her and she will hold it until my Weim runs in or I have her flush. She is a great dog and very loyal, but needs to be ran and worked otherwise she and the weim get stir crazy.

On 1/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, chefhunter86 said:

I have a Gsp and he is a great dog! Best house dog ever! I'll admit he even sleeps in the bed 0133b2c97cbef3f56715e00927dc5fa2.jpg. That is him on the couch with my wife... lol she got shy when she food out why I was taking the picture

I have a female GSP I don't hunt her but has one heck of a nose. Our Weim is clueless when it comes to anything hunting.

One thing to consider is the activity level of the dogs in question they need some room to run they can NOT be couped up in a house all day then taken for a short walk. They need to burn off energy any dog used for hunting will be like this unless it's a Lab they are lazy dogs we have had 2 and I won't own another.

I have a Brittany and can say he is not only a great hunting dog, but a great family pet as well.  He is full of energy and just loves to hunt.  Besides all the other things said about the breed, one nice thing is the medium size, just under 40 pounds.  I'll second the recommendation that you look to reputable breeders with proven hunt lines.  If you are interested, I can PM you one or two in NYS.  

(Sorry, ant seem to upload photos at the moment, I'll try again later)