New to this forum

Coachdad

It sounds like your camp is on the south-east corner of the Adirondack park.  The closest I have hunted to there was a bit north of Speculator, around Lewey lake, where I had my first run-in with and Adirondack buck.  These days, I hunt the opposite diagonal corner, up in zone 6C.  What is the area like down there?  Are there any logged areas, or agriculture fields around?  How about oak trees?   Like grampy, I would like to hear some of your hunting stories.  

Up on the NW corner, there is some ag fields and oaks, and the hunting is pretty good compared to what I experienced closer to the center of the park.  The best part is the scenery and almost total absence of hunting pressure.  I have got to think that the same might be true down on the SE corner, in Fulton county.  Maybe a little more pressure though, because of your closer proximity to New York city.  There is no place I would rather hunt than the Adirondacks.  The only problem with hunting there is that it makes hunting at home loose some of it's appeal.    

Thanks for the warm welcome...

Yeah... I'm is the southern part of Adirondack park. It is still a 3 1/2 hour drive for me to get up there from Connecticut. I wouldn't want to have any of a longer drive. I average being up at my camp about 26 weekends of the year. 

There are no AG fields around. I own 50 acres and I'm bordered to my north by state land. The private land in the area is wooded but all logged off. The State Land is too mature and could use some selective logging (but of course that will never happen due to forever wild).

I see a lot of does in my area and mostly small bucks. There are a few nice ones around. I got a nice 9 pointer this year.  I'll post the  story from this year's hunt in a separate post. 

Thanks again for the warn welcome.

Edited by Coachdad
  • Like 1