Do you smokers, smoke on/in stand?

nybuckboy

I've had that happen quite often. I think it depends on how much human activity they are use to and if they relate danger to that activity.I am in the woods just sitting and watching almost more then I am at work or home. The get use to my movements and smells. I've had dever bed down within a row yards of me while smokeing.  I have kind of made myself a part of three world I guess. Heck there have been times I have been seeing nothing and then light up and they come right in. I am in no way saying that it is a lure for them. Just more of a curiosity thing I think. I have also hunted places that as soon as you light up you hear snorts and that is the end of seeing anything all day. Every property and every deer is different.

I don't smoke the ciggs anymore either, but when I did I would snuff out my butts on the rail of my climber stand and stuff the ciggy butt into one of the cable adjustment holes since I had a thing about throwing them on the ground. By the end of season my climber tubes was so packed with old butts I had to fish them out with a coat hanger and still couldn't reach the ones down at the first two settings for skinny trees,lol!

Some deer tolerated the smell better than others. Those were the ones I killed the most of obviously.

Same thing now with my vape. Some don't seem to mind, while others come unglued. I've never had a very strict regimen in the scent control department anyhow, so chances are if deer were offended by the smell of my smoke, they will also be offended by the other foreign smells permeating from me.

• Like 4

I quit smoking a dozen years ago or more but shot a lot of deer after or during smoking on stand. As others said each property is different as each deer. I am sure some deer spook off you never saw and some may even be attracted. Now stop fukkin up my air and quit!! JK

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

I've had people tell me that they have deer come in downwind of the smoke scent with their nose up the air smelling for it.

I never smoked while hunting but the first antlered buck that I killed came in from downwind and stuck his nose right in the brown spot in the snow under my stand where I had been spitting my tobacco (wintergreen Hawken).  

Don't smoke but chew every time I'm in the stand. Have had deer lick and smell my chew spit on the ground many times. Spit on my ladder stand rungs and had a button buck lick it off once lol.

I've never seen deer have any negative reaction to smelling my chew. On any land I've been on.

Here is a thought. Yes people see deer shoot deer while smoking taking a dump chewing etc. etc. My take like some already said is the wind plays a big factor. You could be in your stand smoking and the sent might never touch the ground for 100 yards depending on thermals! Or it could go right down the tree and flood the area. You cant see what the wind is doing all the time. Deer density and pressure also play a huge role in this.

I say why take the chance, you might shoot big deer while smoking but you might have never had the opportunity to shoot that monster that broke the record books because of it! You will never know right? 

Don't smoke but chew every time I'm in the stand. Have had deer lick and smell my chew spit on the ground many times. Spit on my ladder stand rungs and had a button buck lick it off once lol.

I've never seen deer have any negative reaction to smelling my chew. On any land I've been on.

Shhhhhh, Cuomo will want to outlaw chewing if you say deer like it, I'm the same way can't hunt without chewing and I quit years ago. I'm sure it's cost me a few deer that didn't like it but oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I quit smoking 9.22 years ago, and yes it has simplified some hunting situations that I used to get involved in. No more quickly looking for a safe place to butt out my cigarette so I don't start the woods on fire. No big cloud of smoke wafting out from behind my stand......lol. and no watching the wind suddenly change, blowing my smoke in the direction of an approaching deer. And that constant motion of smoking probably wasn't a real great thing to be doing when you are trying to be sneaky.

But has quitting smoking really upped my success? ...... Not to any extent that I could swear to. The fact is that when those circling winds started going in a direction that I didn't like, smoking gave me an instant visual warning. Somehow it made sitting for hours a bit more comfortable and who knows, maybe having a cig or two might have kept me on stand a bit longer than I can do now.

No I didn't quit smoking to assist my hunting. In fact hunting had absolutely no part in my decision to quit. I think my stroke had a lot more to do with it and maybe the constant weazing at night and the crap that I was starting to cough up on a regular basis decided the matter a little more than hunting. ...... Ha-ha-ha.