Just Got Bit By Tick!

dbHunterNY

little blood sucking SOB!  I just found it on my leg behind the knee sitting here at my desk in my office.  Didn't have my tick twister tool with me.  Tried getting it out.  head broke off.  Here i was just going to do some tick prevention stuff when i got home.  i went to an offroad dirtbike race Sunday.  that evening i came home stripped down and checked myself.  don't think it was on but i did have one crawling on me.  not sure how long it's been on me after that or where i picked it up!  little b*****d!  looks like i'm heading to urgent care after i get my work done here.  tonights a lost cause for getting anything done.

Sunday was the race and I checked myself out really well that night. I must have picked it up after. I think it was probably from today but hard to be sure. Worst case i had it Monday evening. It's in relatively obvious spot though.

Just got home from urgent care. Got tick in cup from doc with screw on lid for safe keeping. Dead now though. They dont send them out for testing. Adult female deer tick though so not great. Dose a doxycycline there and script for 6 more days of it. 7 days standard without Lyme confirmation versus 10 days to start. Need to go back to get Lyme titer/blood test in 4-6 weeks. Antibodies won't show and test won't work if done right when bit. There's I think 5 strands of Lyme and other infectious stuff you can get from them. Couple different tests one starts with an "e" and other is western bot. The latter one works better. That's what I've figured out so far. Seems like I'm crazy but can't be too lax about ticks. Lyme did some damage to my father in law back when he got it. Got ailments now and had to retire early from it. Basically added decades to his age, based on how he feels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

a friend of mine just got out of the hospital after a 5 day stay. went to bed one night felt perfectly fine, woke up the next morning and couldn't get out of bed! literally could not move.

He was taken to the hospital and after a lot of tests they diagnosed him with rocky mountain spotted fever he contracted from a tick bite, he has no idea when he was bit or where he was bit as he never saw the tick.

Saw him the other day,,,,holy crap, from an active, fit person to someone I seriously thought had suffered a stroke. this is something that you can not cure or reverse and unfortunately will cause him to retire from his shop early and has likely shortened his lifespan considerably.

Ticks are no joke and should not be taken lightly, the more widely known lymes disease is only 1 of the many diseases carried by ticks.  There is a lot of miss information and "wivestales" out there regarding ticks.

ticks are present year round, extreme cold and snowy winters do not produce massive tick kills, you can pick up ticks in the winter just as well as in the summer. taking preventative measures and checking yourself for ticks after outdoor excursions will help reduce the number of tick bite exposures.

6 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

Has anyone tried the trick with using dryer lint sprayed with Sawyers then put in old TP tubes out in the yard to help kill the tick nymphs??? 

Never thought about that. Thermacell sells tubes with cotton

Saw a link where you can make them... Save up dryer lint, spread it out on a table outside.... soak with permethrine (Sawyers), put in a trash bag, remove the air, let sit 24 hours, back on the table to dry... then stuff into old TP tubes... put them out for the mice to find and take the treated lint back for nesting material... it will kill the tick nymphs... Supposedly... but in theory it appears sound... 

A word of advice. Just because you are not seeing ticks in your area, doesn't mean there are none or that they won't soon be plentiful. Here in the Hilltowns of Albany County, up until seven to ten years ago, it was very rare to to see a deer tick, or any tick at all. Since then, every year, the population of ticks grows noticeably. To where now, just about every time I go to the woods, I'll either see one on my clothes or find one on me after a check. I spend a lot of time in the woods. I get tested twice a year with blood work for Lyme and other tick borne illnesses. And have been treated twice in the last five years for Lyme. The Sawyers does seem to help quite a bit, but nothing is fool proof. You still need to be aware and take every precaution! Pets are a known source of carrying ticks into your home. Check them regularly too. You really have to stay aware all the time, to keep yourself, family and pets safe from this scourge.

• Like 1

Ortho Bug B Gone says it kills ticks... put it in a spreader and broadcast it out in areas you will be working in.. Not really sure if there is anything you can spray though for brushy area's... Try the trick listed above... it might help in time... This is just going to be a tough year.. 

i was just going to get some cotton balls and more permethrin to put in TP rolls around the property for mice.  i was just at the store a couple weeks ago getting pelletized Triazicide for around the high traffic areas of the yard.  little too late i guess.

Permethrin kills ticks... it repels them because it is killing them so they stay away... if the mice use it as nesting material, it will kill the ticks on them... I believe the tick larva "prefer" small birds and mice... so by taking out 1/2 of the animals we could reduce the # supposedly.. Here's the link I found

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/life_cycle_and_hosts.html

Saw a link where you can make them... Save up dryer lint, spread it out on a table outside.... soak with permethrine (Sawyers), put in a trash bag, remove the air, let sit 24 hours, back on the table to dry... then stuff into old TP tubes... put them out for the mice to find and take the treated lint back for nesting material... it will kill the tick nymphs... Supposedly... but in theory it appears sound... 

Please post up this link.

I wonder how rain, or moisture affects this

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk