Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

I should of been out today. But I was exhausted from a long night at work and just couldn’t get myself up for a afternoon hunt. After being on normal hours on vacation and now going back to nights has me wore out. But I have to pick up my boy from school at noon tomorrow so I’m going to go out in the AM when I get home from work until 1130ish. Only checked the cams on my plot since being home still but it shows a lot of daytime buck movement. Good luck to everyone else headed out tomorrow and congrats to all that have scored today!

2 hours ago, jpastor1759 said:

That's crazy, I hunted 3m friday, sat and Sunday saw deer every day on every sit just no shots. Where are you hunting?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The only spot in 3M without deer lol.  Circleville....I burnt the stand out, I kid you not, over 100 rubs within 5 acres, its unreal to me, but within a week, no sightings.  I sit till dark every night. 

The only spot in 3M without deer lol.  Circleville....I burnt the stand out, I kid you not, over 100 rubs within 5 acres, its unreal to me, but within a week, no sightings.  I sit till dark every night. 
I hunt in bullville, and see a lot

Smaaaaaaall world wow, I have probably seen you before.    I was seeing deer each sit, but its gone cold. I had been using calls, but have stopped, and sightings have gone down, I wonder if thats why, who knows.
So far this year I have zero luck with calls no matter where I hunt the deer just don't respond.

Reading these got me thinking...not just adult deer are lacking here..at least on my place but...no raccoon,just 2 fox all season and I just heard didn't see turkey for the first time.  No rabbits not even a stray cat,other than the one chased by a fox the beginning if Oct. BTW was the only time I had good adult doe sightings.. have only heard 2 fights. I can't  blame it on a lack of deer..for  too many people  have told me of the 60 plus deer in the field off our back line. My cams have shown crazy amount . Though I know they are being shot . I also know they have hundreds of acres of safe zones at least during bow season. 50 on one side of me and 100 on the other. Plus a hundred acre horse farm down the road.. I personally think I made an error in my planting strategy this year. I wanted more turkey food and bugging cover thus the grains..but the weather sent them down hill too soon. ..the deer have used and are using the mature oats and other grains..but not like when I Leave corn or sorghum . The clover over seeding didn't do as well as hoped and the hay field seeding was a bust thanks to weeds. .Though it should be awesome clover in the spring. 

15 hours ago, reeltime said:

Wow..... Been a long time since I have had the shakes after putting an arrow in a buck..... That is up until an hour ago when I called a doe in that didn't appreciate all of pickets advances. Been down that path before and once again tipping the can over when the doe stopped running brought her right to what she thought was a ready doe..
Picket followed and stopped in the only open shot from that stand that is over 10 yards.
15 yard shot, I don't even know when I shot a deer at 15 yards last was I know it was a long time ago.

Said a quiet tribute to picket for the great chess game we have played over the past 2 seasons and sadly my my season is done, even likely for gun I am done.

Scrappy selfie but gotta do what ya gotta do, ain't no setting way back on this pic. What a stud of a buck.
8dd15d86c07ae76acab4ca5aaff13623.jpg

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

That's a monster buck, congrats!

Heading out for more abuse after I finish my coffee... Hunt #57. I didn't set the bar too high this year, just wanted a decent mature buck. I've only passed up 3 yearling bucks this season. My worst season ever as far as deer sightings overall. Not gonna lie, any buck might be in danger today! LOL Tomorrow is looking like a washout, so I might go into work and play catch-up, as I've been on vacation for the past 3 weeks. Still have Friday to hunt also... Trying to finish the season strong.

• Like 4

Abuse is right Cabin.  My two best spots are plagued with heavy equipment.  Only saw 1 skipper yesterday.  Walked around in the new snow.  The tracks proved that the work on the power company has pushed the deer off, or the outside edges of the farm.  I tried another spot and the neighbor fired up his backhoe for the last 2 hours of daylight.  He was only a couple hundred yards away, but I told myself the deer are used to it. Didn't see a thing, but two more scrapes had popped up overnight.  

I'm not up to 57 hunts, but I'm using a rifle for Pete's sake!  Any legal buck is fair game.  4 days: 34 hrs hunted: 8 deer.  Still haven't seen a deer after 8:30 am.  I plan to hunt a few hours this morning, scout another spot or two, then head home from "camp" and recharge on Thursday when it rains.  12 more days for me.  Good luck all.

• Like 2

I really shouldn't complain.  I'm lucky to have time to hunt.  The fact that the power company is working in the middle of the home farm during rifle season has me torqued.  It's my best spot.  I set up my schedule, did my scouting, and thought I could just put in my time and be successful.  Found out last week they would be there Mon-Fri.  I either need to adjust to them loading and dumping 5" stone in the back of track trucks, or just move.  The deer aren't used to it yet.  They get there and start at 7am sharp and work til dark.  Trying one of my lesser spots this morning.  Apologies for my rambling.  Nobody else is awake here, and they wouldn't want to listen to me if anyhow.:stop:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I really shouldn't complain.  I'm lucky to have time to hunt.  The fact that the power company is working in the middle of the home farm during rifle season has me torqued.  It's my best spot.  I set up my schedule, did my scouting, and thought I could just put in my time and be successful.  Found out last week they would be there Mon-Fri.  I either need to adjust to them loading and dumping 5" stone in the back of track trucks, or just move.  The deer aren't used to it yet.  They get there and start at 7am sharp and work til dark.  Trying one of my lesser spots this morning.  Apologies for my rambling.  Nobody else is awake here, and they wouldn't want to listen to me if anyhow.:stop:

Yeah that would suck. Plan all year and there ya go.....esp ypur best spot.  Maybe at least the weekend opener you can have some peace 

14 hours ago, sodfather said:

Congrats Reeltime that's a beauty. The only problem with that is I can't really see that smile with the grey goat on your face

thanks sod,,, that's my face camo, I guess I look like a big ole ugly grey squirrel when I am perched in a tree. lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Heading back to one of my old spots on 6n, hoping things are going to pick up. Like alot of the rest of you my sightings are becoming few and far between. I to might just take the first legal buck at this point. Better luck out there today guys let's fill up the harvest thread.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

good luck to all this morning it would seem that it should be a good movement morning with the weather.

I don't want to clutter up the live from the woods thread with a bunch of reply's to all the kudo's y'all have given me and picket, so I will do a combined reply. lol

I am not mr. B, don't believe I know him, I Wouldn't know Growalot if I tripped over her in a store, heck I don't even know if I ever saw a picture of her. LOL I don't know who bob is that she referred to in her note, Even with all that said  thanks for the congrats Grow and good luck to you the rest of the season. 

Thanks everyone for the congrats on my harvest of picket, its much appreciated and it means alot to me even as a person that has always been one to not seek attention.  I have been truly overwhelmed in the past 20 hours. 

Once I got him out to my truck and was able to get him into the truck by myself I took him home and washed him out good and then took him to show Judy who was at work,  On my long  trip to her work ( all of 1.5 miles) 2 vehicles pulled U turns and followed me. They could see the antlers above the bed rails of the truck. 

From that point on it was non stop yesterday and into last night when I finally had to shut off my phone. lol.  Believe me I appreciate all of the congratulations and it truly does make me smile inside and out, I think more so because I have lived for hunting this particular buck going on 2 years and I left some bucks walk all season that normally I would of not even hesitated to shoot. I wanted to redeem myself for a scent control error last year that cost me a shot at him and it was going to be picket or tag soup this year. 

He certainly is special to me because I knew he was there, knew his habits, and had to let him walk 2 times this season at less than 6 yards because his body position was not right. He made me up my game for sure and for that it will remain as a vivid hunt memory.

Again thanks all I really do appreciate all the kudo's.

good luck to everyone, it only takes a few minutes to change your whole season.

• Like 18

27 and chilly
Lightly bumped one coming in. Just had a yote come in straight behind me. Was hoping for him to go right under and out front but he hit my trail and just turned around then he caught me trying to get turned little bastard!
Really hoping to see some deer this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1