Whats latest youve ever started

Swamp_bucks

What is the latest you've ever started getting your bow ready for archery season? Was at local shop today and you would not believe how many guys are just getting bows tuned, arrows just getting cut, new releases some even new bows.  There was 3 kids getting setup with new bows and could hear parents say they should be ready by am.  Idk maybe its me but i believe archery needs more than 8hrs of shooting to be ready for the season.  Latest i've ever started was september 1st and that year i didnt go out till the 2nd week.

A couple of days with a compound is all th as nessary to kill out to 20 yards once your.pins and peep. are set they don't change. Its not hard with today's let off and compounds..

Now traditional. Or finger shooting.. Is another story.

Really makes you wonder why crossbows are scorned as to easy..

• Like 1

With a recurve I have to shoot on a fairly regular basis throughout the year just to keep the muscle memory which is important for shooting traditional archery instinctively. During the hunting season keeping regular tabs on brace height and checking wooden arrows for blemishes and straightness are also important. Most think you just grab your bow and go just because you're all practiced up, but a small change in brace height with a trad bow can send an arrow all over the place at 20 yards.

3 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

They were all compound just seems very odd to me.  I agree compound to recurve totally different  skill set. Just seems odd to especially have kids not have months of practice.  

No doubt more time practicing is better and this is definitely late even with a compound. 

• Like 1

I shoot my bow all year, if i get a new string its usually in the spring and i have my bow "hunting" ready by September. I gave my dad my Hoyt charger 2 months ago and he shot it for the first time yesterday, already drilling bulls eyes at 20 yrds and he hasn't shot a bow in probably 10 years. I guess it helps that i had that bow perfectly tuned for him. He wont shoot over 25 yards though, i'm quite comfortable to 40.

While I agree Today's bows are very easy to shoot out to 30 yrds in a short amount of time, it's the trying to remember what not to do when your heart is pounding. Only time in the woods and alot of practicing makes it easier and more instinctive. 

That said, I haven't had time to look at my bow yet. No cams out. No stands checked.  Might be a rifle only season for me.  

Edited by mowin

This year has got to be the latest I've been on getting my bow ready and practice time in. I didn't really start shooting a bunch until September. Usually I've flung over a thousand arrows by Labor Day. I am a little disappointed in myself for lacking on bow practice this summer but I'm shooting good regardless. I blame the busy life of 65-80 hour work weeks plus kids on the lack of practice this year. I suspect it might be a trend going into the future as the kids get older and more involved in stuff as it will pull me away from my things. That's alright though.

In my opinion and the thing that really bothers me is that it is easy to pick up a new bow and "hit the kill zone" consistently..

it is a whole different thing to make a quality shot on a deer..  there are nerves, shot angle and many other factors that come into play..

year round practice and muscle memory are what increase your chances of success when the moment of truth comes...

i have been at this long enough and have had enough successes and failures to understand what it takes to get things done and it is more than a few hours or days of preparation..  

In the end it is all about consistency and repetition..

• Like 1

I have been shooing for the past 3 months when I could tolerate the heat . I have been shooting from my backyard treestand for this past week .

As for the OP's post about guys just getting set up , arrows cut , etc , Gun hunters do the same thing . Waiting until the last minute to sight in a shotgun / Rifle . Or borrowing a gun and not being familiar with it . I remember a guy in WalMart a few years ago buying some 20 ga and 12 ga slugs because he was using someone's shotgun the next day and didn't know whether it was a 12 or a 20 . I would have laughed if it had been a 16 .

29 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I have been shooing for the past 3 months when I could tolerate the heat . I have been shooting from my backyard treestand for this past week .

As for the OP's post about guys just getting set up , arrows cut , etc , Gun hunters do the same thing . Waiting until the last minute to sight in a shotgun / Rifle . Or borrowing a gun and not being familiar with it . I remember a guy in WalMart a few years ago buying some 20 ga and 12 ga slugs because he was using someone's shotgun the next day and didn't know whether it was a 12 or a 20 . I would have laughed if it had been a 16 .

Completely agree, see alot of funny things at walmart the night before opening day at my local walmart.

Me I shoot for a month or two . BUT , each year at work there are many new bow hunters , and they shoot good right from the get go . Case in point , I get a fill in from  Engine 9 ,gun hunter who I've been to camp with before .

he has a friend who shoots tournament archery , he gets him a used bow and goes  through the bow for him, one night of teaching him an he's shooting golf ball sized groups at 30 yards . 

Ive got tons of stories of guys killing deer their first year out with little practice .

Oh a bunch of guys onthe job shoot in a league , the fireman who won it last year never shot a bow before and started the league using a borrowed bow .

I shoot all through the spring and summer. Not a lot just a few arrows here and there to stay fresh. I must say though I picked up a new compound first of July last year and was completely amazed how fast and easy it was to get it dialed in and put groups together. 

I still don’t like the idea of not practicing though. 

I got started in August this year, later than I wanted to but worked crazy hrs most of Summer. I shot most of the summer last year. I live in the city so it's a little less convenient for me than some of you I have a 20 minute drive to my sister in laws to shoot. I can't Imagine buying a bow today and hunting with it tomorrow

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk