Hunting shows

Robhuntandfish

I got rid of Directv and use the Amazon Fire stick now. Ill tel you what, i miss not watching hunting! lol Im not a big Drury fan much anymore but I enjoyed watching Phase 13. Also Midwest Whitetail, Antler Ice Bone Cold(Local guys) I am sure I'm missing some but the ones that are informative on what they do and why and where etc.. and show all their management steps taken to reach where they are today.. Those are my favs Not the whack and stack gun hunting shows. Adrenaline Junkies with the Public Land hunts is good too!

18 minutes ago, vizslas said:

They are just a half hour ad

That is pretty much true of the current lineup that is being aired these days, I have tried to watch them but they just can't hold my interest and are just plain crap for the most part to me. The best outdoor shows ever produced were the old American Sportsman Show on ABC  hosted by Curt Gowdy. ESPN Outdoors had several shows which aired on the weekends that were very well done. Of course when one of the biggest animal rights outfits on the planet ("Disney") purchased ABC and ESPN that was the end of the line those shows.  The Nashville Network ("TNN") had some really good shows on the weekend also, everything went downhill there when taken over and renamed "Spike". The Old Outdoor Life channel aired my all time favorite show "Hunting With Hank" is long gone. Unlike "animal rights Disney" which will not release any of the American Sportsman Shows on DVD I got to purchase all the old Hunting With Hank Shows. 

Comparing what is shown today as a hunting show and what was shown on those old classics listed above, well there is no comparison!

Al

• Like 1

Predator Quest, Long Range Pursuit, MeatEater, Pure Hunting ,The Western Hunter.   I agree with others that Whitetail Slam with Stan Potts is rough to watch.  A lot of the staged whitetail ones I dont bother to watch, they spend too much time on product/sponsor placement and not engaging the viewer as though you were along on the hunt. Some of the firearms shows are good like Gun Stories if yo want to learn the history part.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, airedale said:

That is pretty much true of the current lineup that is being aired these days, I have tried to watch them but they just can't hold my interest and are just plain crap for the most part to me. The best outdoor shows ever produced were the old American Sportsman Show on ABC  hosted by Curt Gowdy. ESPN Outdoors had several shows which aired on the weekends that were very well done. Of course when one of the biggest animal rights outfits on the planet ("Disney") purchased ABC and ESPN that was the end of the line those shows.  The Nashville Network ("TNN") had some really good shows on the weekend also, everything went downhill there when taken over and renamed "Spike". The Old Outdoor Life channel aired my all time favorite show "Hunting With Hank" is long gone. Unlike "animal rights Disney" which will not release any of the American Sportsman Shows on DVD I got to purchase all the old Hunting With Hank Shows. 

Comparing what is shown today as a hunting show and what was shown on those old classics listed above, well there is no comparison!

Al

I agree there are some that are just too canned. But there are still some good ones. There are some real good guys on these shows that really are decent guys and have made themselves a great living.  Can't stand wildgame nation....stuff like that. But check out on your own adventures.  This guy does all public hunting and does these trips all over the US.  Or maybe meat eater or Easton.  These guys don't use outfitters but come up with there own hunts. They are pretty good. Better than any reality shows out there.  Give them a chance.  They have to use sponsors or they wouldn't have a show.  

There are a few good ones out there still. Meat Eater is great, Heartland Bowhunter is good, I like watching Buck Commander, because lets face it, those guys are downright funny. The predator hunting shows like Predator Quest and Pigman are fun to watch, and I cant get enough of that over dramatized deer farm show Conquest 200 or whatever it is. When I see guys catching fawns with epic drama music put to it, its so ridiculous I cant take my eyes off it. Ill still watch Bone Collector and a couple of others too. I get the most enjoyment watching the "educational" shows like Deer and Deer Hunting, etc.

• Like 2

I have the Outdoor Channel but don't watch it ..........

Hunting shows have too many commercials and it irritates me to watch someone shoot a deer and then show it again and have the guy explain what just happened . I saw it .... I don't need to listen to a lot of needless BS . What's the big deal about going to a Game Ranch , having them set up stands or shooting boxes over a food plot where the owner knows where the deer come out . 

After shooting a deer , they often still whisper and when tracking the shooter is so surprised when he spots the downed deer . There is the camera man standing on the other side of the deer filming the excited shooter as he approaches the dead deer . Gimmee a break ! 

Hank Parker sounds like he has a mouth full of crap and I could never stand Jackie Bushwhacker from Buckmasters . 

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

I got rid of Directv and use the Amazon Fire stick now. Ill tel you what, i miss not watching hunting! lol Im not a big Drury fan much anymore but I enjoyed watching Phase 13. Also Midwest Whitetail, Antler Ice Bone Cold(Local guys) I am sure I'm missing some but the ones that are informative on what they do and why and where etc.. and show all their management steps taken to reach where they are today.. Those are my favs Not the whack and stack gun hunting shows. Adrenaline Junkies with the Public Land hunts is good too!

I have the roku and downloaded the bowhunting.com app and they have some great episodes on there. I don't think I had to have a subscription to cable. There is also Carbon TV which is filled with a bunch of outdoors shows. There are a few others just can't remember the names. If you're interested I can get them for you.

the only show i watch religously is Meateater. i will occasionally watch heartland bowhunters. I like their style of filming but can't seem to get it on carbontv anymore and directv doesn't have outdoor. I'll watch some turkeyman in the spring on occasion to get me going too. and sometimes d&dh tv but I don't what channel it's on anymore. 

Edited by Belo

Meat eater is great... also Mathews dominant bucks because they're always shooting huge deer...  Buck commander usually has decent pieces too as well as some celebrity guests.  But you're all right, too many commercials and selling and not enough hunting!!

I've been following youtube videos by Randy Newberg.  He hunts public land out west.  I find his videos very well done.  He videos all segments of the hunt including the skinning and processing of the animal.  He seems very down to earth and has a good sense of humor.   Lately he's had day by day video coverage of his hunts.  It's not the typical hunting video where you see a weeks hunting condensed into a 20 minutes.  Newberg's videos make you feel like you are out there hunting right along side of him. 

Also, highly recommend some neat videos by these guys in Scotland.  Fantastic videography on these!