Seems slow this year so far

nybuckboy

I don't know about anyone else but I'm just not seeing deer.  I know they're around because I drove over to the food plot after dark about 9 and counted 9 doe.  I don't see them during the day and only saw 1 decent 8 and I wasn't even hunting.

I was in the same boat... I had not seen a deer at all in bow season... Until yesterday and Saturday.  Its on now! does being chased and bucks walking mid day.  Counted 5 shooter bucks so far (one large 8 RAN to my scent spot) and maybe 15 does, one spike and a button buck.  Best weekend I have had in years, now I just need a perfect shot opportunity!

This is 9M, Catt county

variables have been tough. weather a big factor, but for me they also didn't plant corn. So early season is extra challenging. Bucks are rutting now and the action has picked up. Unfortunately most of us lost Sunday and that leaves just 2 weeks and one weekend.

I could have shot some doe so I'm not ungrateful, but usually a lot better action by now.

• Like 1

Its tough in Pendelton , they didn't plant beans this season and then the farmer came in and sprayed poison all over the field so there is very little green to eat. Kinda slows thing down with no feed.weather has been a bummer, been picking up a lot of lake effect rain and wind but temps are dropping. Thats going to make a big difference, full moons dont help either.

Edited by vizslas

Ive seen two that i passed on i think it was same deer. running alone in the same place same time a week apart.besides the bucks that ran up on me when i was standing at the base of a tree looking all stupid and not ready yet.they got me.

4r they started moving this week i felt like a waste of time before this weekend but this saturday 7:30 am  a buck comes out @ 83yds the a doe the oppsite direction @ 10:45 seen alot after dark leaving. the only thing i seen was six does opening day walking to my stand before

Glad to hear it's not just here in southern Madison county.  I've had decent buck on camera at like 3am to 430 but nothing better than Shit 6. Today we saw between my son and I - 3 doe, a button buck, two spikes and the shit six.  Back so Thursday and Friday. 

13 hours ago, OldNewbie said:

Wow, glad it's not just me.  Seeing lots at night in the fields, nothing during the day.  Three doe came in just after legal shooting hours tonight, kept me pinned in the blind for 30 minutes before they left. 

You hunting 8W? I'm over in beaver dams not seeing crap during the day on cams or while in stand.

I've seen a lot of deer including while in the stand.

If it's any consolation my last year and the one prior were grinds. I would go many hunts between seeing deer. Last year was unbelievable. I got a deer first day of bow and then I went out a bit more than 20 times and only saw two deer that entire time while in stand--of any kind. I averaged one deer seen every 8 times hunting (not including those I kicked up on the way in or out). 

For what it's worth in my limited experience I'd say there are multiples of deer near a camera than those you actually see onit. Deer go behind, camera fails to fire at the right  time, etc.

Edited by Core