They are out there

G-Man

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

Well it was -22 this am and the drive revealed people out on the ice at case and Cuba lake.. guess hard water season has begun.. crazy basterds.....

Remember when that huge sheet of ice broke free on Erie and some of the guys fishing on it declined to be rescued? Ice fisherman are a "special" breed...

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

When I hunted bobcat in Northern Minnesota near Canada border I saw legit villages of ice fishing shanty houses. It was crazy. Full size pickup trucks and houses all over the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They used to have car races on oneida lake.  Little compact cars with studs on them and a little track all cleaned off. I drove my F250 out there a little ways off the real shallow area and watched the races before.   This was back 25 years ago.  

• Like 1

I have not ice fished the last two years, as ice conditions were not perfect enough for me. They are getting close to perfect now on the small lakes that I like to go to. I enjoy spending a few hours out there with a jigging rod and a few tip ups. Used to be quite a few of us that would go. Now I mostly go solo. Though my grandson and one of his friends want to go, so that will be fun! And those pan fish filets are so tasty, when I get home! 

I'll go out but never fully trust the ice.  most fishing in front of camp is done in water 4' deep or less.  they used to have winter carnivals on lake George but with mild winters we've had they didn't have enough ice. there and the lake our camp is on used to have car ice races.  I think that's crazy but not saying I won't go watch.... from a distance.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

I remember the annual winter carnival on Honeoye lake. Tons of people and events covering the ice at the north end. I'm not sure why it was discontinued, but there were never any claim that it was dangerous.

I do remember that on Honeoye Lake. I started visiting the area in 1972.......

The fire dept here has their own hovercraft just because of ice rescues.  They do a lot of training for it.  Every year there are multiple rescues needed.  

It freaks me out when the lake will crack really loud sometimes almost like thunder from a big ice crack .  They also have a lot of snowmobile issues with people flying across the lake and hitting a pressure crack and wrecking.  I stay off the ice.  Def not wise for guys my size to be on ice.  Same goes for wicker.  Lol 

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The fire dept here has their own hovercraft just because of ice rescues.  They do a lot of training for it.  Every year there are multiple rescues needed.  

It freaks me out when the lake will crack really loud sometimes almost like thunder from a big ice crack .  They also have a lot of snowmobile issues with people flying across the lake and hitting a pressure crack and wrecking.  I stay off the ice.  Def not wise for guys my size to be on ice.  Same goes for wicker.  Lol 

I have had pressure cracks run right through my jigging hole.  That right there is the definition of "pucker factor"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have had pressure cracks run right through my jigging hole.  That right there is the definition of "pucker factor"

I was picking up my tip ups one outing and another individual decided to take his car out on the ice and do donuts not far from me.  that was concern enough because he was drinking and really didn't want to get run over.  once the ice started popping from it too, I just left them there.  I actually make out well as I chipped them all out later intact.  others had theirs run over.

19 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

When I hunted bobcat in Northern Minnesota near Canada border I saw legit villages of ice fishing shanty houses. It was crazy. Full size pickup trucks and houses all over the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's as much about the social factor as it is about the actual fishing. Kind of like an all-day tailgate party without being distracted by having to watch a game. Dress for it and have fun.

You meet up with people you only see a few times a year, everybody's got a grill and a cooler of their best venison recipes so you wander around for samples. The fish fillets off the grills couldn't possibly be any fresher, and the occasional snort of bourbon couldn't taste better. Sometimes it's not so much fun, like when the wind is howling, but most of the time it's a good experience.

• Like 1