First Predator Hunt

moog5050

Going to head out on my first predator hunt on Saturday.  I have been playing with a couple of mouth calls and yesterday Grampy sent me an electronic caller free of charge (THANKS DAVE!).   Really don't know what I am doing but might as well dive in.  Have two properties to try and figured I would head in around 8am, make sure my access and set up is downwind of where I hope to see either yotes or fox and try some calling.  So far, my ears tell me that my mouth dog bark and howl are not so great, so I will likely try that as a last result, sticking with some coyote pup calls followed by dying rabbit calls  (Dave suggested a series that I will try).  Any other suggestions?

I have seen a fair amount of fox and a few coyotes at one property.  I generally see them in the woods, but should I try covering a bit more ground by setting up for the fields?  Only problem with doing so is that I will be blowing into the area (or at least 1/2 of the area - think cross wind) I have seen them, so my inclination is try to hunt them on a just off wind in the woods.  Also, I am limited to .22LR and my .25 PCP so shots will likely have to be fairly close (50yds and in I am thinking).  Further supports a woods set up I think.

Looking forward to trying a night set at some point but its probably best to start with a day hunt.

• Like 7

Sounds like you are under gunned for coyotes. Might be better off sitting in the woods with a  12 gauge & 3" mags.

Main thing is play the wind. Nine times out of ten they will approach from the down wind side.

Probably not a good weekend to try it. This weekend there is a state wide predator hunt with 159 "teams" participating with a good number of them being from the surrounding areas. Contest begins tonight and runs through Sunday am.

Check in is not to far from Webster and it could be interesting to check it out. I believe check in deadline is 1:00 pm

CHECK IN:

There is only one check in and that is on Sunday January 28 at 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. The check-in will take place at Carey Lake Restaurant & Party House, 959 Walworth-Penfield Rd (Rt 441) Macedon, NY

Edited by Steve D

I recommend mastering the dying rabbit calls first and try to make it sound as agonizing as possible. The rabbit call entices a multitude of varmint species, unless you are specifically targeting Coyotes using the Coyote howler will make any Foxes or Coons in the area head for cover

I would use your 22 rifle over the 25 cal airgun and use the best high powered ammo you can obtain, I like the CCI "Velocitors' best for bigger varmints but "Stingers" will work too. Try to keep your shots under 60 yards and place the bullet behind the front should just like on a Deer and they will not go far. Good luck to you.

Al

Edited by airedale

2 minutes ago, airedale said:

I recommend mastering the dying rabbit calls first and try to make is sound as agonizing as possible. The rabbit call entices a multitude of varmint species, unless you are specifically targeting Coyotes using the Coyote howler will make any Foxes or Coons in the area head for cover

I would use your 22 rifle over the 25 cal airgun and use the best high powered ammo you can obtain, I like the CCI "Velocitors' best for bigger varmints but "Stingers" will work too. Try to keep your shots under 60 yards and place the bullet behind the front should just like on a Deer and they will not go far. Good luck to you.

Al

Thanks.  I have some hot .22LR CCI (don't recall the name).  We have a lot of fox so perhaps sticking with the rabbit call is a good way to start.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I am more curious whether I can even see one by calling.

There is always a chance of seeing one but shooting one is challenging. If they catch your smell or catch any movement they will be gone in a flash. Keep movement to a minimum and if using a .22 be prepared to make follow up shots.

Just getting out there is half the fun! Having one come to your calls is a thrill, and getting one, is just icing on the cake! Each time out, you will learn a little more. Have fun and good luck buddy. Some really good predator hunters on here. I've learned some tips from them too.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, grampy said:

Just getting out there is half the fun! Having one come to your calls is a thrill, and getting one, is just icing on the cake! Each time out, you will learn a little more. Have fun and good luck buddy. Some really good predator hunters on here. I've learned some tips from them too.

Guessing I will scare off all the predators and then the squirrels by trying to call predators  Should be fun!

Back in the day I used to hunt fox quite a bit during the winter months. I never went unless there was snow on the ground because it just made it much easier to spot an approaching fox.  I set up downwind of brushlots, overgrown fields or a small woods near brushy areas.  All shots were under 50 yards and  I used a 22lr or #3 shot for fox, but would be using buckshot for coyotes in close quarters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

My buddy who hunts them pretty well usually starts with a lone female yote howl. Then go into your rabbit in distress. Also try mouse squeeks, better for fox.

Not sure I have any mouse squeak calls.  I have a better shot with the fox due to pure numbers I think.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Not sure I have any mouse squeak calls.

A must have for close up action once a critter has been spotted. I have had them work at 150 yds. Any household dog toy will work and you can duplicate the sound by "kissing" the back of your hand and sucking air in.:ok: Mine is taped to the gun barrel with electrical tape so it is right there when needed.

• Like 1

Def stay away from yote vocals till late in your set. Fox will stay away if you start with Yotes, as others have said. As far as the .22, I'd also take any shotgun you have and lay it next to you. .22 is a headshot gun imo. Good turkey loads will take a dog down no prob. Most are even good to 50-60-70 depending on choke. My advice is this :

Rabbit and or bird distress, off and on for a few minutes at a time for at least 15-20min

If you have fox distress try that for a short bit, then back to rabbit/ bird distress for another total of 15-20mi.

Then yote vocals. No barks, no long howls. Yips are great. Then silence for a few minutes.

Pup distress. Let it run till your ready to leave. Maybe adjust volume or brief pauses

Once you kill the calling, sit for 10 min in the silence and keep an eye out. Too many times this is when they come in.

Obviously play the wind and watch your scent as much as possible. Fox usually just barge in from any direction but the Yotes will definitely come from down wind.

I'm prob gonna head out sat and or Sunday evening. make the ride and your welcome to join !! Then you can sit back and watch me pretend to know what I'm doing...lol. (Got an extra rifle for you too)

Good luck !!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

8 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Its more casual fun than serious for now.  I am more curious whether I can even see one by calling.

you'll be hooked when the first one rushes in on you. i haven't gotten one yet but had them rush in and out. My problem is i always look to far out in the woods and there always up close less then 50yds. I've been carrying the shotgun in tight spots it's good out to 40yrds with #4 buckshot .I'd try a bird distress call also a simple feather tied on a stick to distract them for a few seconds.

good luck!!

• Like 1

We’re over run with coyotes and I see a few foxes as well.  I’d say I see them in range 20% of my deer hunts . I’m planning on going out soon myself , just give me a call.( phone)

This guy stayed 10 yards in front  of my bow stand for 5 minutes , they’re all over , never used a call.

B2640F6B-A360-4290-AD02-4D007A2FC4F7.png

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2