4 hours ago, grampy said:

I love deer, and watching them. Pretty cool to make a nice livelyhood out of doing that I think. Though high fence hunting is not for me, or FS either, (as he hunts the other side). Supplying for the demand of it, is work that many of us might enjoy. Though no doubt dealing with all the rules and regulations may be a real pain. Nothing wrong with having a nice gig that you enjoy doing, and pays well.

Thanks for the new pictures! Keep em coming. Cool to see what selective breeding turns out. 

You don’t know how right you really are. To be able to live with these animals is really a blessing. Crazy how every one is always different 

• Like 5
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is always a few in every crowd. Some never see the good side of things I guess. 

Final push. 

Figured I would throw a couple pic's up in case a few were bored tonight. 3/4 Texas yearling on his way to earning a pen full of strange this fall and a 2yr old that will throw some numbers.     S

Posted Images

Do you ever get some ornery deer that just need to be “asked to leave” prior to them achieving their full potential?
They seem like such a docile animal (The rut must be insane to watch inside the pen) the it is hard for me to imagine one or two really “going postal”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Do you ever get some ornery deer that just need to be “asked to leave” prior to them achieving their full potential?
They seem like such a docile animal (The rut must be insane to watch inside the pen) the it is hard for me to imagine one or two really “going postal”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like most other animals there is a pecking order and they live by it. It’s usually the young yearlings  that do all the fighting. Put a 2-3yr old in the pen of yearlings and he keeps them in line.    Also anyone that does not leave any givin year get their headgear removed so when they do get after each other during the year there is no death from sticking each other. They just push each other with whatever bases I leave on their heads. But they will battle till one gives the head banging shoving match. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

that black plastic fence looks low. They cant jump that?

They have.  That’s just the handling facility so they get ran right back thru.  Only happened a couple times in all these years. And that’s only 6ft.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mowin said:

Sounds like a fun job for sure. Do you ever let people tour your facility?  I'd love to if I'm ever in the area. 

Always people stopping in. Especially when I put the bucks up front near the road. Shocked there has been no wrecks yet with all the rubbernecking. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

So do you do hunts there for the fat lazy and incapable people that shoot the livestock or sell to the canned outfitters?

what do u care as long as its a legal business, not my type of thing but honestly why does it bother you, im guessing it does the way you asked your question? some guy is making a living do what he likes and working hard

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, land 1 said:

what do u care as long as its a legal business, not my type of thing but honestly why does it bother you, im guessing it does the way you asked your question? some guy is making a living do what he likes and working hard

There is always a few in every crowd. Some never see the good side of things I guess. 

454B887E-879E-43F1-9D9B-23AB2088FE97.png

6A11BE21-C7F4-4F09-86BB-43277B954550.png

• Like 16
19 hours ago, land 1 said:

Well I definitely don’t lose sleep over it. It is just not hunting. Should be Advertised as shooting of genetically modified livestock in a cage. But it does make real hunting look bad. Everything nowadays just caters to lazy people. And I’m not bashing him personally, he’s taking advantage of a legal market for it. Shouldn’t be legal IMO. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

If I ever started a farm like this, I will have to quit deer hunting..Just wont be able to the see the wild ones same way.

Won’t ever happen to a real sportsman as far as quitting hunting.  It no doubt has changed my hunting as far as size of deer I will kill. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, land 1 said:

Actually i think captive deer are considered livestock in NYS, i might be wrong,

You are Spot On.  And all the benefits of farming any other livestock comes along with it.  Win Win!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Waterfowler said:

Well I definitely don’t lose sleep over it. It is just not hunting. Should be Advertised as shooting of genetically modified livestock in a cage. But it does make real hunting look bad. Everything nowadays just caters to lazy people. And I’m not bashing him personally, he’s taking advantage of a legal market for it. Shouldn’t be legal IMO. 

Everything nowadays?  After 23 years I would have to say you are a tad off on your estimation. 

40 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Won’t ever happen to a real sportsman as far as quitting hunting.  It no doubt has changed my hunting as far as size of deer I will kill. 

I agree, just that today I am lucky to see a nice buck every 2-3yrs and that maybe pushing 120 at best. If I have them in my yard of that caliber , allowing me to make a living; it would certainly raise the bar.

22 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Looking good.  Do you have good/bad years?  Or is each relatively the same since you’re controlling most factors?

Truthfully the only difference in years is the difference in doe and buck fawns. And those of course spell out your bottom line for the year. If you can average 20-30 buck fawns a year and continue that pace and the market continues to go at 3 to 7 grand each the good/bad factor is the bottom line.  Now there are bad years as far as luck if you lose animals to sickness or say yotes harassing some and they jump into fences or such and break legs or necks.                   The good is always there in the lifestyle and freedom of life everyday to decide what your day will consist of.   To be able to have everyday of hunting seasons off or taking a week or two vacation whenever the need arises can’t be beat.   It’s nothing like raising most other livestock where one is locked down to the farm. 

• Like 3
On 7/8/2021 at 3:05 PM, Waterfowler said:

True This...

• 3 weeks later...