Observations And Getting Ready

grampy

Spent the day at our hunting property with my lifelong friend and hunting partner. We were doing 'deer stuff',  instead of 'work', for a change.

Some observations.....

Lots of apples and acorns.20180819_120016.thumb.jpg.9b2301d4d1e822b7818776457266d6d4.jpgThe plots are WET, but growing.20180819_115138.thumb.jpg.b18b9024152dd37f71309af8661175b9.jpg20180819_114654.thumb.jpg.9d11ab58e2c06fecb08dfba342b895ed.jpgFields are cut and looking good. Lots of deer runs and tracks. Even spotted a couple of young bucks.20180819_140625.thumb.jpg.f6868f8d4593f32042d4d8352664edd1.jpgWe re-brushed in some proven 'rut blinds', in the thick stuff. Near the big swamp.

Moved a tree stand. 

Set six cams on different parts of the property.

Started putting a plan together for youth weekend, for hopefully, my grandsons first deer!

Picked out good spots for two new pop up blinds.

After dinner, my grandson and I set the blinds up in the backyard, to air em out.20180819_175435.thumb.jpg.62b090ea92b7188cb56d322eb46bcaef.jpgAnyone else observing and or, getting ready? Doing stuff like this gets me pumped up! Season will be here soon enough. 

• Like 14

Sounds like a good weekend, I miss having those weekends with my father and family friends at camp.. Camps a lot different, until the kids get older.  

I Have not got a thing done yet. This summer has been the worse one yet for trying to get anything accomplished. Busy Busy and wife working weekends, I Think we have to cancel our OBX vacation next week so maybe ill still take a few days vacation and get some stuff done. Shes getting the itch to start shooting and settle into bow season. 

• Like 1

I got out an old pop up blind yesterday and fixed one of the hubs.  Left it set up to air out.  

I've been shooting almost every day since August 1st.  I'm not where I want to be as far as accuracy, but I'm not far off.  I'm a fingers shooter, so it takes me a little more time to get dialed in.  

I'm running 5 cameras, and planning on getting one more.  I need to move some cams around next week to a couple different properties.

I went to the farm last weekend, but didn't get a chance to walk around much.  There were apples, but they were mighty small.  No oaks there.  There were more blackberries than I expected.  I have a couple trails to mow, stands to move, shooting lanes to trim etc.  I will try to start next week, since the temps are finally starting to drop.

• Like 2

Been shooting the bow here and there with the BH's on,  one shot to see where it hits. Pretty happy with how I am shooting right now out to 25yds. Will shoot some FT's more regular soon to see how I am grouping.

Only had three days out boots on the ground scouting, seen some does with and without fawns, a couple spikers, a fork horn, and a buck that looked like he was an 8, on the other side of a small clearing walking a small brush line. Starting to get a grasp on travel routs more on the public land I hunt. They are all pretty different from one another.

Going to buy ( most likely order them tonight ) two trail cams for the private land we have up in the NZ and place them in a couple weeks. Was thinking of buying a new tent to get a bow hunting weekend or two camping up there, but decided to use the money on the cams. So I will just use the old tent if it all comes together.

Which it never does. LOL!

I will wash the hunting clothes next month and air dry. Treat with Sawyers a few days before the season starts. Put out the hub blinds to air dry and treat them and my chairs with Sawyers as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, G-Man said:

friend saw 10 point in hard horn on way home from work in west seneca today. earliest rub ive ever found was august 23rd.. big guys always seem to shed 1st..

I've been seeing a few more small bucks lately, but no hard horn yet. Soon enough though. Will check the cam's we just put out, in a couple weeks. Will likely see hard antler by then. I agree too, that the mature bucks will be the first to shed velvet. 

My observation is cars are trophy hunters. A couple of us on a group text passed this picture around that TF sent out. Found him  a few days later. After some convincing from Tree Guy & Biz I pulled over to snap his only side 
A561B807-3640-48F0-860B-932CFC220428.thumb.jpeg.ce02c61dbbbc3d33f9808bc984464777.jpeg
48A5CD50-8D0E-4F29-B5D2-002744C8F57B.thumb.jpeg.f6c7b70b46b6e9e5fe081ef6f0685249.jpeg
FE5DC988-6A3C-440C-9EF3-C4C3471D3E69.thumb.jpeg.08ec59f9d57193f87b98bddcbb73fd67.jpeg

Curious what that side will score after peeling off velvet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Curious what that side will score after peeling off velvet.

anyone ever see a triple brow tine before ?  and a double    Yup, there's some toxic waste buried in that area  He probably had a nice glow to him at night too

• Like 1

anyone ever see a triple brow tine before ?  and a double    Yup, there's some toxic waste buried in that area  He probably had a nice glow to him at night too

I’m thinking 60”+ on that one side. You/Sod should start it’s own thread. Too many people missing it in here

• Like 2

Stopped at the local Amish store and picked up spices for venison sausage.   Gonna make an apple breakfast and bacon burgers with first deer.  If I get a second one planning on smoked sausage rope and then cracked pepper and jalapeño brats.  Cmon season.....

rps20180828_103415.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

I had boots on the ground scouting for up north this past Sunday. The underbrush is out of control now, when they logged the land a few years back it opened up a lot more areas for sunlight. The ferns are a huge PITA now, after logging there's a lot of branches left from trimming, and you can't see them, almost fell flat a few times. Even the avt trails that the owner made are all but invisible. On the bright side to the underbrush, I was really able to see far more clearly where the deer are moving through in certain areas now.

Checked the natural ground blinds I built up there, all but one is unhuntable until after the leaves fall and a good frost or two wipe out the ferns and such, I didn't get overly concerned with that to be honest. I still have a few places where old trees that have fallen have created natural blinds for me, many of those sit on banks so I am not at ground level and can look down and see the areas pretty well.

• Like 1

After hitting Wallyworld to get my tags, batteries for the cam, a couple SD cards, and even bought some scent killer while I was there, I stopped at a public land WMA near me. Noticed a few new rubs starting to show up here and there. That was a good sign.

I apologize if my continuing to make posts on this thread isn't cool. I just don't see a reason to post a new topic every time I scout or do something for prep when this thread is here. Grampy started a good thread here, so giving it a "bump" here and there should be a good thing.

• Like 3

No problem at all Rob! Was hoping to see and hear about others "getting ready and observations"!

Here is more from me.

First thing this morning, went to the lake property to move a stand and sure up some ground blinds. Lots of deer sign, in the usual places. Good to go over there!20180901_111659.thumb.jpg.40fb12c079519ced61220c8509f701da.jpg20180901_104325.thumb.jpg.ed50375df86764d43f5b147284a55ac8.jpg

20180901_111724.thumb.jpg.19dfd9f9437af9f964d5c2fc6b1479b7.jpg

After leaving there went over to the farm property. Put up two new hub blinds. In very promising spots! Have high hopes for these, come rut time! Again plentiful deer sign, but no rubs yet, that we saw. Checked some cams, have few small bucks, doe with fawns, fox coyote the usual array of critters.

Oh....and this guy! He has potential. Taken on my "lucky" wooly cam.20180901_154649.thumb.jpg.4baa87a5b721aaff5fffd7de93ff58cf.jpg

Also got this pic, but have no idea what it is??? What do you guys think?20180901_155536.thumb.jpg.eb414ae0a61a137bec0020cd437739a1.jpg

Bear????

• Like 4

Cut some high grass near a scrape that gets a lot of action every year, and we have a stand at 40 yards.  Grass there is about 5 ft tall.   

This place is so brushy if the owner didn't cut these lanes it would be unhuntable.  

Pulled a couple of cams while I was there and no stunners but one small buck , lots of does.   Usually don't see a lot of buck pics til fall anyway.  

First pic of kill box

Second pic trail we hunt

Third pic is this whole place is like this can't even walk thru it.  But they def go thru it.   

Season is coming.  That will be my last trip over there til hunt season. Reset cams and new cards.   

rps20180902_113703.jpg

rps20180902_113622.jpg

rps20180902_113640.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2