Survey by DEC & Cornell University - Antler Retrictions and 1 Buck per season

burmjohn

I was reading through the Survey that the DEC & Cornell University did which is part of that Deer Management Proposal they put out recently.

Survey is here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/hdrudeer10.pdf

More info here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7211.html

One question asked was "Set mandatory antler restrictions to reduce harvest of yearling bucks during all deer hunting seasons (exempting youth)"  57.4% said its a good idea, and 34.4% said it was a bad idea.

Another one was " Allow each hunter to take only one antlered buck per year." - 49.7% thought it was a good idea and 39.0 thought it was a bad idea.

One question asked was "Set mandatory antler restrictions to reduce harvest of yearling bucks during all deer hunting seasons (exempting youth)"  57.4% said its a good idea, and 34.4% said it was a bad idea.

I wonder what AR restriction the 54% think would help save 1.5 bucks in 7j and 7h?

I personally have no knowledge of of what the conditions are say in 3C for example - therefore would not feel I could give a qualified answer in such a survey - if I was ever polled. I have never talked to anyone or heard of anyone polled for any Cornell or state survey - and I live 20 miles from Cornell.

Most of it is BS, because I saw a guy dragging out a spike in 3J,  on public land.  He said opps, "my bad".  And he bragged about it when loading it on his truck.

I have a theory (not proven),  single deers are most likely  bucks, so look real carefully before shooting.  2 or 3 in a group, I know my doe permit is coming out.

4,700 surveys were sent out and only 2,200 people responded. That's pathetic. There should have been alot more sent out. Why couldn't they let everyone who cares participate? It could have been done on line. There are over 600,000 big game hunters and 2200 is not a big enough sample.   

Just out of curiosity, are there any forum members here who have ever participated in a DEC/Cornell survey? ...... Anyone?? I'm awful curious just what is their criteria for picking survey participants. I've been around hunting, fishing, trapping for an whole lot of decades and have never been approached by anyone from the DEC or their survey team in Cornell University.

Just out of curiosity, are there any forum members here who have ever participated in a DEC/Cornell survey? ...... Anyone?? I'm awful curious just what is their criteria for picking survey participants. I've been around hunting, fishing, trapping for an whole lot of decades and have never been approached by anyone from the DEC or their survey team in Cornell University.

I was picked on a survey last year. it had to do with forestry and game habitat. Filled out the survey, got a thank you and an invite to a workshop they were putting together. I believe the criteria was Southern tier landowners over 50 acres.

I participated in a trapper survey about five years ago and since then I get a variety of them every year.  Last year I got the trapping one a bowhunting one and a moose one.

I participated in the NY bow hunter harvest survey for quite a few years...(forgot how many.) They sent me a patch for doing it.

A young man who was working on the older Cornell deer hunting survey came down to my office here at the newspaper and interviewed me, asking a lot of deer-hunting-specific questions. This occurred prior to the switch from the Monday opener to the Saturday opener of the regular season and prior to the expansion of the centerfire rifle during the regular season.

It's beginning to sound like there is a small group of hunters that pretty much serve as the "survey committee" and these same people get surveyed and re-surveyed. That's pretty handy for those running the surveys, but I have to wonder just how wide a representation of all hunters views these few people provide.    Interesting.

Here is what you get when you email..painless as can be.

[pre]Thank you for submitting your comment regarding DEC's Deer Management Plan for New York State. We will review and consider your comment prior to adoption of the final plan. We appreciate your interest and support for deer management in New York.

[/pre][pre] [/pre]