burmjohn

LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

50 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yeah I know I did Everything I could  Doesn’t help the second guessing and sting though. Up the ass shots make a mess. I should Have just done it but I thought I could Get a clean shot easily. 

You are among the best hunters on here. You gave it all you had, that's all anyone could, or should ever do my friend. Sometimes, in spite of our best efforts,  it just doesn't work out the way it should. Yes, it stings like hell! Especially to a good hunter, but all you can do is pick yourself up and move on. Get out there with your daughter and take pride in her hunting, as well as your own.  Redemption is on the way buddy.

• Like 4

On to a public land sit before I have to take a 4pm call.

Two bad signs. First, as I am parking a fork horn runs out of the brush and onto private land next door. Second, a stream was a little higher than anticipated, I tripped and have one soaking foot and one soaking glove. Thank God for wool.

Neither of those sound like tidings of good luck, but I will give it a go. Overlooking a hardwood flat pinched by an oxbow stream. Never sat here before and it can't hurt.

Good luck to all out there.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3N: I’m at work but dad seen a doe at 930am and an unidentifiable big bodied deer at 1145am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

She got him! They followed him down to the bottom of the creek bed and saw him laying there on the other side. Hubby finished him where he laid. they just field dressed him and are starting the drag. They've got about 400-500 yds all uphill in a foot plus of slippery snow to get to where I can get a machine to it. This ought to take a couple of hours. I'm probably going out for the afternoon sit in a bit and will most likely get him back to the house after dark unless they make good time. Pics to follow.
Every year she has had her deer recovered with my tractor, never had to drag an inch. I've been telling her all of my "olden days" stories about having to drag them all back. Now she'll know!
Can't wait to see! In the meantime I am going to sit here and try to figure out how you did the underline thing (did you use your phone?)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Big doe at my front doorstep at 8:30 am.  Dogs went ape shit of course and she casually trotted off.  *sigh*  The chess match continues.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phillifan22 said:

This reminds me of my first ever (and still biggest) buck from 10 years ago, pic attached. He was following/chasing a doe, and I got a nice broadside shot at 25yds. Runs about 20 yards and crashes. I can see him laying there, not moving. The doe actually comes back to him, smells him and stands there. She leaves after a few minutes. I walkie to my dad saying big buck down. He tells me to wait, I’m just sitting there for 30 min watching this massive buck laying there, still hasn’t moved a muscle, meanwhile I’m shaking like crazy. I start walking up to the buck, about 5 yards away, gun on him, he still doesn’t move. Stand over him, still doesn’t move. Someone talks on the walkie, and it’s loud, the buck jumps up and takes off, I couldn’t get a shot off as he almost runs me over, and he luckily goes right to my dad, who finished him off. Don’t think I’ve ever got yelled at more in my life for not finishing off the deer when I had the chance. So now I do the old poke the eyeball test. Needless to say I certainly learned my lesson and won’t ever forget it. 96f552aea103f3ceec014d73b3b9bd5d.jpg&key=b8acaf1795db9e20a07a44b4991d75376b31c13409e06ecd8a4cc17cc5e31ae7

How old were you in that picture, like 14 years old? LOL

You may in fact never ever get a buck that big ever again good job

• Like 1

She got him! They followed him down to the bottom of the creek bed and saw him laying there on the other side. Hubby finished him where he laid. they just field dressed him and are starting the drag. They've got about 400-500 yds all uphill in a foot plus of slippery snow to get to where I can get a machine to it. This ought to take a couple of hours. I'm probably going out for the afternoon sit in a bit and will most likely get him back to the house after dark unless they make good time. Pics to follow.
Every year she has had her deer recovered with my tractor, never had to drag an inch. I've been telling her all of my "olden days" stories about having to drag them all back. Now she'll know!
That's Great Congratulations to your Daughter on a Nice Buck

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How old were you in that picture, like 14 years old? LOL

You may in fact never ever get a buck that big ever again good job

I was 15 in fact lol. Haven’t even seen anything like him since. Dressed out at 175#.

• Like 3

Seems to me that while the bucks were winning in bow, the game is real close now.  Lots of good ones taken since opener.  

Big buck down!20181120_135650.thumb.jpg.f5180e71a06ab2f650db86cab971fdb6.jpg20181120_135636.thumb.jpg.4e591417104ff18f794e485c68ab4d25.jpg20181120_135636.thumb.jpg.4e591417104ff18f794e485c68ab4d25.jpg

Congrats!

• Like 1

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I’ll have Haley out tomorrow. 

That is a good plan...move on shift focus.

That said stay frosty I've reclaimed more than one wounded/lost deer a few days later in the same/nearby spots I shot them the first day.

This legend fended off yotes and evaded you again, don't count him out yet you may still get your hands on this ornery stud.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

29 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Great job Grampy.   That’s what persistence does.   No deer for 3 straight days and then BBD!

Yes! I'm getting one tomorrow via this formula 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

They got it back to the trail that follows the property line. Rack is in pristine condition. And now she knows what a deer drag is like. Her second best ever deer - happy daughter!

Daughter comes to our place every year. She hunts harder than I. Always more glad that she gets her NY road trip buck than if I get my own. It’s become a nice tradition. Happy Dad. Now I’m out for the afternoon shift where I saw those bucks at last light yesterday.

41125E24-987D-4F68-99ED-89789BCAE524.jpeg

ACF0D7C5-EFD3-41BC-B9D8-5972E8CE35FA.jpeg

• Like 46

2 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

They got it back to the trail that follows the property line. Rack is in pristine condition. And now she knows what a deer drag is like. Her second best ever deer - happy daughter!

Daughter comes to our place every year. She hunts harder than I. Always more glad that she gets her NY road trip buck than if I get my own. It’s become a nice tradition. Happy Dad. Now I’m out for the afternoon shift where I saw those bucks at last light yesterday.

41125E24-987D-4F68-99ED-89789BCAE524.jpeg

ACF0D7C5-EFD3-41BC-B9D8-5972E8CE35FA.jpeg

Wow nice buck

• Like 1