What ML bullet..

LET EM GROW

What bullet and weight is everyone shooting and the powder you as well please.. 

I always shot (3) 50gr Triple 7 pellets.. After reading here about the Blackhorn 209.. I am going to switch powders and test the waters.. 

I also shoot the 250gr T/C Shockwaves. They always shot very accurate for me, but I have only had 1 good blood trail since using them.. Luckily I saw most fall after being shot, some dropped, some took off a ways and some didnt go far.. 

I want to reach out to 200yrds accuratley .. as my triple 7 and 250 gr shockwaves did this with ease..  

If it matters.. both my ML are T/C.. an Omega, and a Triumph. 

TIA

I use the barnes spitefire t-ez 250g.  Very accurate for me.  Expansion has been so-so but I also am using a lot of powder.   I should try a lesser load but love the current accuracy.  Every deer shot so far has been a dead deer reasonably close.  Just not tons of blood.

• Like 1

Just checked, Guess I have a full box of 250gr Shockwaves and a full box of 250gr Traditions Smackdown bullets still. I was thinking of switching to the 250 or 280gr Barnes Expander Spitifre if i did try new.. Since i have 2 boxes of plastic tip bullets.

Maybe its a normal thing to not get much of a blood trail with these plastic tip bullets? Or maybe i should slow them down a bit. If i remember right, which isnt easy to do.. I think when i shot (2) pellets instead of (3) my wound channels and blood trails were slightly better. I think.. been probably 6 or 7 years since i upped powder charge.. 

Anyhow, i plan to use the ML almost all of Gun season like I used to do when i was younger and rifles weren't legal yet. Had a ton of faith in my Omega when I used to tote it everytime..   

I wish Harvester was more readily accessible in stores, but I shoot them when I can get my hands on them. If not, I use the SSTs...horrible for blood trailing but accurate.

The harvesters are primo when paired up w/BH209.

The Barnes that Moog shoots are also very deadly. They do way more damage than the SSTs do.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of a .452 300 grain non Mag hornady xtp in a crush rib sabot . Other bullets in that same sabot I like are the hornady ftx bullets .  If you can find the Speer .454 deep curl in 300 grain that's a very hard to bullet to beat. 

The shock wave,sst,SmackDown and one other bullet are the same bullets all made by hornady with different ballistic tips. Depending on if it's bonded bullet and velocities they can be good choices . You can't go wrong with the Barnes line of bullets but your paying a hefty penny.

If shooting a conical I like the hornady 350 grain fpb. I'm a big fan of bull shops and no excuses 460 grain lead conicals. Thor makes a premium full bore  conical that gets great reviews too.

I'm not a power belt fan at all, I know they are accurate but they have about the worst expansion going. Part of the issue people push them to fast .

Most all my charges are 80-90 grains of triple 7 but I do use bh209 on occasion from time to time.

• Like 2

I use Hornady SST sabots now. blood trails and tracking is hit and miss. 200+ yard accuracy is why i still use them. I want to try the new Federal BOR lock Trophy Copper bullets. seems like they'd have explosive expansion yet still be tipped to reach out there at distance.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas.. Ive had great accuracy from the 250gr Shockwaves, and they do look identical to the Smackdowns.. And seems blood trails are hit or miss with most. I will say the damage under the rib cage is pretty explosive with these. Ill shoot these up for now. I did notice a big price difference between these and the barnes bullets. 

For now i guess ill stick with the bullets I have and that have worked.. Just going to switch to Blackhorn 209 powder.. probably 100gr charge 

17 hours ago, sbuff said:

I'm a big fan of a .452 300 grain non Mag hornady xtp in a crush rib sabot . Other bullets in that same sabot I like are the hornady ftx bullets . 

What is the difference in a crush rib sabot vs a standard sabot?

shockwaves dont expand well used them once on a doe although she died a quick death there was no expansion. in my t/c black diamond i use a Hornaday 240 gr xtp with mag sabot, 90 gr 777 great expansion. The CVA gets loaded with blackhorn and a harvester which does its job. Just a reminder blackhorn isnt to be used in a open breech muzzleloader like a black diamond. A crushed rib sabot has thinner petals to be used on tighter barrels. Good luck and safe hunting!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

same here     side note : I've noticed no difference in using 2 or 3 50 grain 777 pellets in tracking/blood  or accuracy   as many have stated in other threads you might not even complete burn by using 3

3 pellets was always pretty dirty and felt like you didn't get an efficient burn. i ended up picking up 30gr 777 pellets to combine with the 50gr ones. 120gr or 130gr seems to work well. haven't settled on a load yet. honestly it's turning into a safe queen because i'm tagged out by late ML.

• Like 2

I have a Triumph. I used to shoot Shockwaves but I didn't like how them performed on game. I'm shooting a Hornady Monoflex now, which is supposed to perform like the Barnes bullets. My Triumph shoots them very accurately with 110 grains of BH209 and Federal 209A primers. I have not had the chance to shoot a deer with the Monoflex yet. The reviews online seem positive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yea, no thanks. I don’t want any bullet designed to break apart for killing game animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To each his own.. that is what makes the world go around.. ;  )

I on the other hand love a bullet that fragments . I have  shot light for cartridge bullets for 30 years.. 125g in .308 and 150gr. In 300 win mag.  Bullet rarely exit but  deer are pretty easy to find when they fall down on the spot, or on the rare occasion I gut shoot one 50yds away

I always felt that if my gun produces 3500 ft/pounds i want the deer to have it all. Not pass through with enough energy to kill another deer.  (Seen it done by accident).

Edited by ncountry
Sp