Meateater

wolc123

How does everyone like this show ?  A buddy at work thought I might like it and he was right.   It is a lot better than most other hunting shows I have watched.   As the title suggests, It is mostly about the meat for this guy, which is exactly how I feel about hunting (and fishing).  He even takes some jabs at the "catch and release" fishermen as I have often done (nothing but the senseless maiming of a fine food source I say).   Clearly this guy is a natural born killer, not a "fighter" beholding to advertisers as the hosts of most of the other hunting and fishing shows are.   Based on what he said in the last episode that I watched, I guess I have some idea what primate meat tastes like.  He compared it to wild turkey drumsticks.  That is what I had for dinner yesterday and leftovers for lunch today.   It sure packs some energy.  I knocked out about three times my average amount of work at the factory this afternoon.     

• Like 1

I've caught some of the "Meateater" episodes on Netflix and I do like his approach very much.  Certainly a heck of a lot better than the run-of-the mill hunting show.  I don't subscribe to the outdoor networks, but have seen some of the shows and the vast majority of them are staged garbage.  You can find another very good hunting series on Youtube.  Search Randy Newberg.  He posts day to day coverage of his hunts on public land out west.  He's another guy like Rinella who will NOT end the show at the kill scene like the typical hunting show.  He will show how he processes his kill and on many occasions will show how he cooks it up at camp or when he gets back home.  On most hunting shows it's all about the trophy, but on these shows it's more about the meat and the experience.

• Like 1

Steve Rinella and Jim Shockey are the only ones I watch anymore.  Currently watching the latest season of Meat Eater on Netflix, even my wife enjoys it!  And she usually heads for another room and the Hallmark channel whenever I turn on a hunting show!

• Like 2

Cabelas sends me all kinds of literature for "Experiences" to book through them. One was a hunt for something, then when you get back to camp Steve Rhinella shows up cooks it up and hangs out.  i thought that would be cool but never pulled the trigger. just sent me a catalog with all of them for 2019.  he's not just a meat eater. he's bleeds conservation efforts. top show to watch in my opinion too.

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

He used to have a show where hed walk into a city and create a meal from nowhere, usually a roadkill and whatever greens or fruits he could find. It was pretty cool. Travel Channel maybe?

yea ... Wild Within or something.

I think you may have misread some of the reason's steve hunts. Hard to find his early seasons (not on netflix), but what I enjoy the most about his style and approach is that he hunts for many reasons. I don't think he would like the label "natural born killer" at all. He has great respect for all the animals he hunts. Food is certainty key, but mostly he will talk about the adventure, challenge and the journey with his friends and relatives. His podcast is also very good. 

• Like 1

Listen to his two part podcast on being attacked by a brown bear on Afognak. It is wild. His books were very helpful to me as well.

Randy Newberg is another great binge watch and podcast. I connected with him once and he is a real nice guy.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What I like about MeatEater and Randy Newberg is they have episodes where they strike out.  More testament to true hunting on public land.  I catch MeatEater on Netflix and Fresh Tracks with Randy Newberg on Amazon Prime.  Now that they've removed the Outdoor Channel from my network TV I haven't been able to watch Jim Shockey's Uncharted which was another one of my favorites.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Cabelas sends me all kinds of literature for "Experiences" to book through them. One was a hunt for something, then when you get back to camp Steve Rhinella shows up cooks it up and hangs out.  i thought that would be cool but never pulled the trigger. just sent me a catalog with all of them for 2019.  he's not just a meat eater. he's bleeds conservation efforts. top show to watch in my opinion too.

Love to do the collaring Elephants in Mozambique with Ivan Carter in the 2019 list; that'd be some trip.

Only seen bits and pieces of Meat Eater, would like to see some full seasons.My internet isn't fast enough to stream.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FatBoyD said:

Steve Rinella and Jim Shockey are the only ones I watch anymore.  Currently watching the latest season of Meat Eater on Netflix, even my wife enjoys it!  And she usually heads for another room and the Hallmark channel whenever I turn on a hunting show!

My wife also likes Meateater, unlike any other hunting or fishing shows I have tried to watch.

10 hours ago, Belo said:

I think you may have misread some of the reason's steve hunts. Hard to find his early seasons (not on netflix), but what I enjoy the most about his style and approach is that he hunts for many reasons. I don't think he would like the label "natural born killer" at all. He has great respect for all the animals he hunts. Food is certainty key, but mostly he will talk about the adventure, challenge and the journey with his friends and relatives. His podcast is also very good. 

I think most hunter's reasons change a bit throughout their lives.  I went thru a brief "trophy" stage my myself, when antlers meant more to me.   Gaining a wife and a few kids who love the meat changed the situation.   I would not be surprised if he went thru the similar changes, so what you saw in those early episodes may have been different.  Have you watched the current season ?   I think the show's title eliminates any of the guesswork regarding his primary reason for hunting today.   Don't you think that natural born killers have more respect for the animals they kill than fighters who do it for "sport" ?   I think he would love that label and he is as good of an example of the type as I have seen..  He made that pretty clear in the Bolivian episode, where he took some shots at the catch and release fisherman.            

12 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I think most hunter's reasons change a bit throughout their lives.  I went thru a brief "trophy" stage my myself, when antlers meant more to me.   Gaining a wife and a few kids who love the meat changed the situation.   I would not be surprised if he went thru the similar changes, so what you saw in those early episodes may have been different.  Have you watched the current season ?   I think the show's title eliminates any of the guesswork regarding his primary reason for hunting today.   Don't you think that natural born killers have more respect for the animals they kill than fighters who do it for "sport" ?   I think he would love that label and he is as good of an example of the type as I have seen..  He made that pretty clear in the Bolivian episode, where he took some shots at the catch and release fisherman.            

We're aligned in why Steve hunts. With all do respect, I've seen every episode of his (halfway through the latest) and listened to many of his podcasts. He is not the type to choose words like "harvest" to sugar coat what he does. But "natural born killers" is not something I have ever heard him come close to saying. Instead, as posted above, I believe he would use the term "natural predator". He has shot plenty of non-trophy animals on his show without concern. The opening of every show is "I live to hunt, and hunt to live. I am a meat eater". I think that sums it up best. And while I certainly cannot speak for Steve, I don't think he would ever refer to himself as a killer. But would also never shy away from admitting and discussing that part of the hunt either. Like many of us, for him hunting was a part of his roots. The episode where they take his buddies dad hunting is great and you can really sense how much he misses his dad and the memories of hunting. More than any meal or horn. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 2:55 PM, Dinsdale said:

Love to do the collaring Elephants in Mozambique with Ivan Carter in the 2019 list; that'd be some trip.

Only seen bits and pieces of Meat Eater, would like to see some full seasons.My internet isn't fast enough to stream.

heck i'd settle for the giraffe collaring.  elephants sound better though. giraffe one sounds like you're sitting there waiting to get the call that the animal is down and sedated. elephant one sounds like you're involved the whole time, even scouting from air.