Never a Dull Moment

Pygmy

I'll be 69 in two weeks,  but I've had a little TOO much excitement the last couple of days...

While playing euchre at The legion Thursday night, I was almost mixed up in a fistfight... A young guy  sitting at my left had too much to drink, and got PO'd at my partner over a play... He stood up and got very abusive and belligerent and started threatening my partner, who is older than me...I  thought I was going to have to help my partner out, but some other members intervened and de-fused the situation... The  guy has since been barred from the club PLUS he was brought up on harassment charges from a woman he had allegedly groped...

Then last night at 11:30 PM, I was sitting in my recliner watching a John Wayne movie, and someone started POUNDING on my front door....Not " knock knock knock", but BAM BAM BAM"...

I grabbed my S&W  .357 out of it's hiding place and went to the door and cracked it open , holding the revolver muzzle down behind my body...A voice said " Sherriff's Department" and I saw a young officer standing on my front porch...

He said..." Do you have a gun in your hand ?"...I replied, ' Yes, I do".....He said " Will you lay it on the floor in front of you and step back ? "  I said   " YES I will"...And I very promptly DID...

He picked up the gun and unloaded it, and then asked me if I had a pistol permit...I produced my permit and he checked it out and asked me a couple of questions...He then told me that someone had received a phone from the neighborhood with a woman screaming for help in the background and asked me if I had heard any screaming..I assured him that I had not, but that I was hard of. hearing and had been watching a John Wayne movie with the  volume turned up quite loud....  He then returned my revolver and cartridges..

He then said " You scared hell out of me when I saw you get that gun"....I replied, ' Well,  you scared hell out of ME when you hammered on my door in the middle of the night.."

One thing I learned is that I need to find a better place to hide the gun, or block off the sidelight on the front door so someone can't see in..If that cop had been a bad guy, he may very well have got the drop on me...

I haven't heard anything yet regarding the disturbance...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow, Pygmy, that was quite a story.  Glad everything turned out well.  There are risks involved when one has a gun in hand and this is an example.  Having one in hand can surely save lives, but mistakes CAN happen where things can go a direction you did not want it to go.

• Like 1

Dan might not be a bad thing that someone sees you with the pistol before opening the door , they know you mean business.  A bad fella might decide a strong arm robbery ain't the best idea at this house.

Glad all turned out ok.  And stop reliving westerns your watching , that's a bit too much excitement!  Gonna start calling you Pygmy the kid!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Dan might not be a bad thing that someone sees you with the pistol before opening the door , they know you mean business.  A bad fella might decide a strong arm robbery ain't the best idea at this house.

Glad all turned out ok.  And stop reliving westerns your watching , that's a bit too much excitement!  Gonna start calling you Pygmy the kid!  

Actually, Rob, you make an excellent point....If  a bad guy knows you have a gun, chances are he will leave pronto even if HE has one....And if it a policeman, I damn well WANT him to know I have a gun, so I don't surprise him...Cops don't like surprises...Hehehe...

• Like 1

Not too much pisses me off more than a drunk with beer muscles. Good that the situation was handled by cooler heads. I'll be 62 shortly. And I still have the attitude, where I'll take an ass kicking, before I'll back down. In my current condition, that is probably what will happen going against someone younger and stronger. But I'll still hold my ground, come what may. Like most, I've never been one to look for trouble,  but won't run from it either.  It's who I am. Can't change that, no matter how old I get. 

Anytime there is pounding on my door late at night, or something just isn't right, I'll have a firearm in my hand. That's why I have them. I'm in no way paranoid, just need to be prepared, to protect my family and property from the ever increasing riff raff that seems to be praying on folks now days.

Happy the officer didn't over react. But you never know what, or who is on the other side of that door, in a situation like that. You need to always be prepared for the worse. And ready to stand down in an instant when you know it's safe.

So happy it all worked out for you Dan.

49 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

I'm betting he knows there's guns in the house before he pulls up. I have been pulled over 2 times since I have had a pistol permit  they always ask of I have a weapon in the car. They never use to ask .... maybe  I look like a bad guy  now.

That is a good point.  With all pistols being registered in NY, he probably knows the make and model of all that are in the house of any permit-holder, seconds after typing in the address.     

Yep drinking bars especially young people there = trouble And best avoided when possible if alone,   doesn't matter how big of balls you have  or strong , because usually criminals run in packs when they go to clubs/ bars and usually it is  the little shit rat that starts it then the others  rats jump in from behind.  

Edited by Storm914