Glory Lighted Nock

grampy

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

most lighted nocks weigh 2-3x what the regular nocks do so they can cause an arrow to act stiff (especially if your tune was close to stiff to start).  You can always add some tip weight to offset (like moving from 100 to 125g heads).  Of course the added weight may also require an adjustment to pins.  Then you have to find similar weight nocks for practice.  I never used them because it seemed like too much effort.  But I can see the benefit of knowing how you hit the deer as some shots its tough to tell without a lighted nock.  Good luck with them Dave.  Sure make finding the arrow easier!

I practice with them all the time. I just shoot spots instead of groups.

• Like 1

i've never seen any noticeable difference at 30 yards and under with the lighted vs regular nocks. with my new site I can shoot out to 60 and it was interesting that i was hitting slightly to the right at 20 and about a foot off to the right at 60, so I'm going to tinker tonight to see if the effect of the heavier nock is noticeable at 60. After all, what good is an adjustable site if you're not accurate with your hunting setup, including the broadhead. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

good luck with them. i've thought about getting lighted nocks for a while now. i guess i'm too cheap.

the first pack I got I split them with a buddy and we used the arrow with the lighted nock for afternoon/evening hunts only.  and wanted to try them out.  Now i have them on arrows and crossbow bolts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

the first pack I got I split them with a buddy and we used the arrow with the lighted nock for afternoon/evening hunts only.  and wanted to try them out.  Now i have them on arrows and crossbow bolts. 

When I was up in Maine last spring I bought a pack of Ten Point  lighted crossbow nocks. They seem to be a pain to install and turn off from what I gather. But great overall reviews! Might try em? Might sell em? Still in the package.

If I try em, I'll make another thread.

I too have flight issues with Nockturnals. First time for me but completely new setup this year. Bow is shooting great but with Nokturnals I'm getting flyers to the right and low. Pop the nock off and right back to point of aim. I could mess with them and try to figure it out but I'm not going to, not worth it to me.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

When I was up in Maine last spring I bought a pack of Ten Point  lighted crossbow nocks. They seem to be a pain to install and turn off from what I gather. But great overall reviews! Might try em? Might sell em? Still in the package.

If I try em, I'll make another thread.

just bought ones for this season for the xbow.  Those bolt things are damn hard to find after a pass thru!  lol,.  Ive lost 2 them last season and my buddy comes back with them later in season each time.  They were easy to install just like replacing any nock (these were the capture nocks), and i figure if they are hard to shut off thats a good problem to have cause i just shot!  lol 

• Like 1

I wonder if the extra weight of the lighted nocks affects the arrow path of your bow is not quite in perfect tune. 

It shouldn't if it is because the extra weight is at the back of the arrow,so that has no effect on the spine of the arrow,it doesn't make it flex more when it shoots of the string,unlike a heavier tip does.

I've used them for years, Luninocks, Nocturnals, and other brands i can't recall the names. I do know they are heavier than reg nocks but I have the practice tips and i honestly don't notice much difference in how they fly. But then I'm not the best shot so if I'm off a couple of inches I don't notice. I have a tackle box full of nocks and broadheads that I've experimented with over the years, I'm a sucker for new stuff. Funny story the 1st deer I shot with a lighted nock I thought it broke in flight because when it hit the deer it went off, I figured it out later, you can't see the nock when it's inside the deer! Dummy!

Seeing the flight path of the arrow will be pretty cool for hunting and practice I think.

So for this reason I had to remove the nocturnal or whichever I had. I found myself not following through and missing my target more frequently when using the lighted nocs . I guess I am easily distracted and attracted to shiny things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2019 at 2:11 PM, chrisw said:

I too have flight issues with Nockturnals. First time for me but completely new setup this year. Bow is shooting great but with Nokturnals I'm getting flyers to the right and low. Pop the nock off and right back to point of aim. I could mess with them and try to figure it out but I'm not going to, not worth it to me.

Just like making any other change to your arrows, you have to tune your setup for them.

6 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I wonder if the extra weight of the lighted nocks affects the arrow path of your bow is not quite in perfect tune. 

It shouldn't if it is because the extra weight is at the back of the arrow,so that has no effect on the spine of the arrow,it doesn't make it flex more when it shoots of the string,unlike a heavier tip does.

It changes your FOC, so yes, you have to adjust for them.

9 minutes ago, crappyice said:

So for this reason I had to remove the nocturnal or whichever I had. I found myself not following through and missing my target more frequently when using the lighted nocs . I guess I am easily distracted and attracted to shiny things.

With good form, I should be holding the bow arm steady until the arrow hits the target. So I hope the arrow in flight won't be affected by the shiny thing looping to the target, after leaving the bow???

I don't know??? We will see. Thanks for giving me something else to think about my friend!!

On 8/20/2019 at 9:40 AM, moog5050 said:

most lighted nocks weigh 2-3x what the regular nocks do so they can cause an arrow to act stiff (especially if your tune was close to stiff to start).  You can always add some tip weight to offset (like moving from 100 to 125g heads).  Of course the added weight may also require an adjustment to pins.  Then you have to find similar weight nocks for practice.  I never used them because it seemed like too much effort.  But I can see the benefit of knowing how you hit the deer as some shots its tough to tell without a lighted nock.  Good luck with them Dave.  Sure make finding the arrow easier!

I don't know my brand of lighted nock but I love them.

As for weight difference I have taken all my regular plastic nocks I use for practice and filled them with .177 BBs, held in place with epoxy. They are now the same weight as the lighted, so I know weight is consistent between practice and lighted.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, crappyice said:

This is not possible. The nocks are not lit until they are shot. Within those tiny fractions of a second the nock is released and lit. There's literally zero chance that you're capable of seeing the light while it's still touching the string, during release, and then having the time to move such that it impacts the flight. If your form is good without lighted, it will be with lighted. They do weigh slightly different than non-lighted, so that could change impact to some degree.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

Just like making any other change to your arrows, you have to tune your setup for them.
I tried changing nock/string fit, didn't help. So short of adding weight up front to gain a bit more FOC to offset, I'm not sure how else you "tune" for lighted nocks. I'm all ears if you know a way...

I use luminocks and love it.  Its a plug and play. Screw into the end of the bolt and that is it. It lights on its way to the deer. I notice nothing different about the bolt flying funny.  Hell of lot easier to find an arrow at dusk when its lit up. My one bitch about luminocks it its a bit tricky to shut off.  You have to press it and frig around sometimes to get it off.  Its worth it though.

• Like 1

This is not possible. The nocks are not lit until they are shot. Within those tiny fractions of a second the nock is released and lit. There's literally zero chance that you're capable of seeing the light while it's still touching the string, during release, and then having the time to move such that it impacts the flight. If your form is good without lighted, it will be with lighted. They do weigh slightly different than non-lighted, so that could change impact to some degree.

Maybe I’m describing it incorrectly but I have been known to “peek” after pulling the trigger and releasing an arrow. I found myself peeking more when using lighted nocks.

23 hours ago, chrisw said:

I tried changing nock/string fit, didn't help. So short of adding weight up front to gain a bit more FOC to offset, I'm not sure how else you "tune" for lighted nocks. I'm all ears if you know a way...

Assuming your arrows were a bit stiff with the lighted nocks, options are:

1. more weight up front; 2. longer arrow; 3. weaker spine arrow; and possibly change of center shot (assuming you were a bit left of string already).  

• Like 2

Assuming your arrows were a bit stiff with the lighted nocks, options are:
1. more weight up front; 2. longer arrow; 3. weaker spine arrow; and possibly change of center shot (assuming you were a bit left of string already).  
I'll try throwing 25 more grains up front and see what happens. Honestly the bow is shooting so awesome that the thought of changing things now just to have a lighted nock is off putting to me. Thanks though, be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

IMG_20190901_163905.thumb.jpg.d1938eae1f19560967210076f69601a8.jpgIMG_20190901_163952.thumb.jpg.6b0ee79504aa00fd80828e93f2e54518.jpgHere is my unbiased opinion of the Glory Nock. I love it!!

Installed the bushing and then the nock, it fit fine, bushing and nock were nice and tight, no glue needed. Easy.

I added my Muzzy MX4 100gr broadhead, and shot at 20 yards. Was consistently hitting high and right. I shot a different arrow without the lighted nock, and was hitting the same spot. So it was the broadhead that changed my POI. Even tried a three blade Muzzy, and a NAP Thunderhead, all hit the same. So it was not the Glory Nock that made the difference in POI with my set up. 

So I made a couple of small adjustments and was hitting fine out to 40 yards with my hunting set up. Cool!

The Glory Nock was so easy to shut off! Just put the nock back on the string, press the button, and pull it off, and it's off. With no tool needed. That simple! 

Picture above, doesn't really show how bright the nock is. It's plenty bright. Brought it into the garage, to simulate lower light conditions, and it was super bright!

Being this is the only lighted nock I've ever tried, I can't really compare it to any other brand. But I will say, that these were easy to install, shot fine, are so very easy to turn off, and definitely bright enough! Just another change to my hunting set up for this year. Even an old guy can change things and make it more fun!!

I give Glory Nocks the grampy two thumbs up rating.

• Like 6