Moon guide

greensider

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I hate hunting the morning after a full moon. In my experience i see SQUAT on those sits. May be a zillion other factors that play into that but my slowest morning sits seem to happen after a full moon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, we have noticed the same lack of activity after full moon. I also agree that the moon has no effect on the rut. 

On a full moon does are up and feeding most of the night . If the does are up the bucks are up .  Normal deer movement  is dusk feed .. a few hours sleep  chewing there cud  then feed again . Chew there cud... morning feed then bed up at daylight . Full moon its twilight  all night .  Bed at daybreak chew their cud . Up and feed midday.  Bed  up chew there cud and move in the evening.  

If you ever drive the night shift you would see the pattern.

I had a couple conversations with Charlie  Alsheimer. He would tell you temperature , weather , hunting pressure  can change those patterns.

His books are very informative.   D&DH give a brief overall  bit of information.  It's not a perfect system but the moon plays a bigger part of what happends in the deer woods than most give  credit.  Believe what you want but in the overall picture of things  .

I  have  missed more than a few ruts by playing the second week of November   rut dates for my vacation . Nothing worse  than watching social media pics blow up  from work . Then getting vacation  during lock down and post rut  and seeing next to nothing  for a week .

To each his own predicting the rut is like metrology  take the info you have make an educated  guess.  Some times your right sometimes your wrong.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1

not to derail the topic,but i heard that deer feed more readily in the daylight when the moon is up. So far this year it seems to have some merit,opinions?

I agree to a extent and I also feel a full moon as them feed more in the middle of the night as they can see better. I think that kills the normal diurnal patterns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have never truly tried to figure it out.id does seem the little chits are out there on a nice clear night with the moon up,eating away.then back in bed by 3-4am.seems like we all get that jist.grandfather always hated the clear sky/moon nights.hunts then seem worthless as typically dont see squat!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure that the light of the moon has some impact upon normal feeding and bedding pattens but not sure if it a as much as given credit to. There’s also been research into the moons affect on behavior of animals , humans included causing erratic behavior ( “luna” tic for example) . This may be due to gravitational effects if you believe that sort of thing