What are you reading?

Deleted Account

Another book that is fascinating is about NY's own long hunters. It is called "Adirondack Deer Trackers - Stories as told in Deer Camp". It is a bunch of stories with photos by Joe DiNitto, Steve Grabowski, Jim Masset, and Dave Williams. These are guys that go into the Forest Preserve, find a big buck track, trail it, and shoot it in its tracks. They are similar to  The Benoits (of VT.) and Hal Blood (from Maine). I  know these guys, and they are the real deal. Mostly in the western side of the Adks.

ncountry- see that you read Elinkas book "A Deer Hunters History Book". He has 9 other books out and I have enjoyed all of them. Most are focused on the ADK's, but one is about his time in Alaska, one about tughill and one about the Southern Tier. I know a lot of the folks in these books and that makes it more interesting to me, but any deer hunter would enjoy these.

• Like 2

Have never caught a Striper- one of my fishing goals this year is to get one on my 10weight fly rod!!

I can 100% put on on some good stripers… if you have some big streamers maybe in some of the back bays we can try with the fly rod if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just finished One Man’s Wilderness, by Richard Pronneke for the second time.   I forgot that I had read it a while ago, but a few pages after I remembered, I decided to just keep going.

In preparation for the upcoming Winter Olympics I am reading The Boys of Winter, by Wayne Coffey.  It’s interesting but a little disorganized.  Still enjoying it though.

I actually did attend the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid.  Shockingly, it was my Father that insisted I go, even allowing me to miss the a full week of my second college semester.  I had a friend of a friend that lived in Plattsburgh, so I stayed in her basement and took the shuttle bus back and forth.  Had a great time and traded a bunch of pins with people, walked half way up Whiteface Mt the ski races, went to bobsled, hockey (not the big game) and several other events.  

Small bit of trivia, a friend of mine was at the Miracle on Ice game and had a US flag.  He gave it to Jim Craig at the end of the game and he draped it over his shoulders for the iconic photo.  7491CD0A-4199-417D-B6CD-D156195E5C3A.thumb.png.4aff3b9d90f4323150ef261c327da27e.png

• Like 4

Sounds good to me . The streamer patterns gotta be pretty big I would imagine , though , right ? 

I’ve never tried for stripers with a fly rod but I guess it depends on what’s around… if they are on peanut bunker or bay anchovies it wouldn’t have to be so big.

If they are on adult bunker, herring or mackerel, yea it would have to be big

I’ve never tried for stripers with a fly rod but I guess it depends on what’s around… if they are on peanut bunker or bay anchovies it wouldn’t have to be so big.

Ive got one striper on the fly, maybe 7lbs and it was awesome! Maybe ill write a book about it so I'm not hijacking this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Turtle Cove ($hitty Island) may be the ticket for this chef

Turtle Cove ($hitty Island) may be the ticket for this chef

Yea that could work for sure… i was thinking field 10 or grass island at Jones but TC could work too

This Pulitzer-prize winning graphic novel about the Holocaust popped back in my mind when I read that a school board in Tennessee banned it due to eight "curse words" and one depiction of nudity. 

image.png.b6745518e612058239db1c73609006fe.png

The book depicts Art Spiegelman interviewing his father about his father's time in Poland during the war. Apparently the depiction of the extermination of thousands of Jews is okay, but heaven forbid there should be one panel of cartoon breasts.

Fascinating book. 

Edited by left field