Corona Virus Thread

Just now, The Jerkman said:

But that should just result in a backlog when things kick back up again. Criminals still going to commit crime. Business still will have to ramp up business once things calm down

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There will be a rebound but it’s hard to say how long.  I expect some businesses on a close budget may not make it which reduces available business.   As I said, we will all get through it, but I am now bracing for a lousy 2020 fiscal year.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

It will still have a huge impact.  Less business activities = less legal work = less Billings coupled with less Billings due to remote work, close of courts and suspension of cases and less transactional work.  Law Firms will suffer.  

Hmmmm...sounds like an opportunity.

How does one get the virus to target more lawyers?:cry:

58 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

There will be a rebound but it’s hard to say how long.  I expect some businesses on a close budget may not make it which reduces available business.   As I said, we will all get through it, but I am now bracing for a lousy 2020 fiscal year.  

Sylvan beach, within sight of my house, has multiple businesses that are just opening for the year after being closed for the winter. Multiple restaurants, bars, an amusement park. Now all are mandated closed until further notice.  And president said today this could go til August.  With the possibility of no income for months and tighter purse stings once it is lifted, which of those businesses has a chance to survive?  2020 will just reach so many pockets. It's a big snowball. 

Sorry I couldn’t find the “ price gouging “ thread  aka 17,000 hand sanitizers .

But this largely reflects my feelings on that .  Although I feel CMAC charging 24 times what I can buy a Genny beer for at the store , a bit much . So I don’t , free market  . $12 a beer there , 30 pack for $15 at the store.  But I digress.....

https://www.aier.org/article/three-undeniable-problems-with-anti-gouging-laws/

Edited by Nomad

My bro in law is in quarantine at his home. He works for large bank. He will have to trade from home for 14 days. He has no symptoms so no test. But somehow on his floor had it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

My bro in law is in quarantine at his home. He works for large bank. He will have to trade from home for 14 days. He has no symptoms so no test. But somehow on his floor had it

No symptoms yet.............naaa, no way.

Edited by Lawdwaz

The Flu killed somewhere around 60k in the US alone in 2018. We average about 20-30 K deaths a year from Flu. 

China population 1.3 billion plus with 80k reported cases of Coronavirus and under 4k deaths. The virus has ebbed in China with less than 20 new cases being reported a day now.

Now I'm no medical professional but what about these numbers doesn't make sense? 

In simple terms can someone explain to me why haven't we locked down entire countries and caused panic and chaos over the Flu every single season, especially the really bad Flu seasons like the one we had in 2018.

I have to be missing something here?

• Like 2

I will leave you to your no worries. It's good to be you and retired I guess.  

Oh for sure. I just meant they won’t close. Most law firm billing groups have never worked from home before and are non exempt employees, so this is a nightmare. It’s all Hands on deck, other groups will have to do billing if need be. Without bills, no cash

Spring break in South Padre Island is ripping right now. What a time to be alive!

How do you know? MTV spring break went off air years ago!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

The Flu killed somewhere around 60k in the US alone in 2018. We average about 20-30 K deaths a year from Flu. 

China population 1.3 billion plus with 80k reported cases of Coronavirus and under 4k deaths. The virus has ebbed in China with less than 20 new cases being reported a day now.

Now I'm no medical professional but what about these numbers doesn't make sense? 

In simple terms can someone explain to me why haven't we locked down entire countries and caused panic and chaos over the Flu every single season, especially the really bad Flu seasons like the one we had in 2018.

It's the high ratio of infected and death amongst the elderly.  On can argue that the mortality rate of younger adults are comparable but the mortality rate of seniors sky rocket with COVID-19.  In my case, I'm not actually worried about my little ones as I am worried about my little ones picking it up and then bringing it back to my parents who watch over them.

14 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

C19 is more infectious than the flu - an infected person will spread it wider snd faster. It’s more deadly than the flu. And it kills in a different way, essentially flooding the lungs with fluid. Not only is there’s no pharmaceutical treatment, there’s a lack of respirators. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-covid-19-flu-comparison-frieden-analysis/index.html

7 hours ago, Elmo said:

It's the high ratio of infected and death amongst the elderly.  On can argue that the mortality rate of younger adults are comparable but the mortality rate of seniors sky rocket with COVID-19.  In my case, I'm not actually worried about my little ones as I am worried about my little ones picking it up and then bringing it back to my parents who watch over them.

The higher elderly mortality stands true for the Flu with much higher numbers.

7 hours ago, left field said:

C19 is more infectious than the flu - an infected person will spread it wider snd faster. It’s more deadly than the flu. And it kills in a different way, essentially flooding the lungs with fluid. Not only is there’s no pharmaceutical treatment, there’s a lack of respirators. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-covid-19-flu-comparison-frieden-analysis/index.html

It appears to have run its course in China with less than 4 K deaths. China a highly populated country with dense population clusters. Most people who die from Flu die from respiratory failure, Pneumonia or flooding the lungs with fluid.

Edited by Gobbler Chaser

I would question Chinese numbers. And it's not the west.

Per the article:

Many deaths from flu are caused by secondary bacterial pneumonia and heart attacks that develop after the flu has weakened someone's resistance. With Covid-19, most deaths are caused by acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), which causes already-damaged lungs to fill with fluid, and makes breathing difficult. Unlike pneumonia, there is no pharmaceutical treatment for ARDS. That is why a potential shortage of ventilators is so dangerous: They are the last-ditch supportive treatment for Covid-19 while the body heals itself.

For King Andrew's employees :

I'll post the email we got in a bit, but non-essential employees told to telecommute if they can, if they can't, take a paid 2 week vacation.  Essential employees told telecommute if they can do their jobs from home, if not come to work.  Daycare is closed "until further notice" and public schools are closed for at least 2 weeks.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

A little bit of insanity for you fellas!  Unfortunately I am deemed essential, which seems hardly fair!

First email :

Good afternoon,

In response to the public health emergency for the COVID-19 virus, the Governor has directed that all non-essential employees statewide to not report to work for the next two weeks beginning Tuesday, March 17, 2020 (see attached):

Employees designated as essential must continue to report to work for their scheduled shifts as they normally would.

At this time, non-essential employees shall work from home to the extent practicable.  Where non-essential employees can be assigned to perform critical work outside of their normal state workplace, that is permitted.  Employees will not have to charge accruals during this two-week period.  Nothing in this directive shall prohibit agencies from recruiting volunteers or mandating staff to support the response efforts across the state for COVID-19.

Non-essential employees are defined as anyone who does not need to be physically present to perform their job functions, or they are not required to meet the core function and programs of their agency during this emergency response.  If you are not sure if you have been designated as non-essential, please contact your supervisor for clarification.  Employees designated as non-essential are required to call their immediate supervisor no later than one hour prior to their regular start time, to ensure any change in status can be communicated.

Second Email :

We are currently creating a list of essential staff. If you are determined to be essential, you will receive additional instructions.  Below is the standard guidance:

• Essential employees
    • Must work either remotely or at their designated work location – if individuals do not have the access or ability to telecommute, they will need to report to the office
    • If they can’t work (and aren’t quarantined) then they should charge accruals
  • Non-essential employees
    • If can work remotely and feel fine, they should work remotely.
    • If they can’t work remotely, then they don’t need to charge accruals as they are non-essential.  If you are willing to work remotely, but still need access, please report to the office to submit the necessary requests to telecommute

1 hour ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Maybe I'm wrong for basing this on China's numbers. But we have experts predicting the possibility of deaths in the 100s of thousands or even millions in America. Why would our mortality rates be so much higher?

Experts predicting millions of deaths.....who are these experts?

• Like 1

Sux...I hope he remains symptom free but then he has to wonder WTF am I doing locked down? No test because of no symptoms and yet he had “contact” with a confirmed case. That’s crazy..my daughter is a touch opposite- some symptoms no confirmed contact...still not test!
At this point what is the point of her being tested? Nothing to do but ride it out (no meds for confirmed cases) and keep our (the entire family) distance from grandma- hardest part.

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Sux...I hope he remains symptom free but then he has to wonder WTF am I doing locked down? No test because of no symptoms and yet he had “contact” with a confirmed case. That’s crazy..my daughter is a touch opposite- some symptoms no confirmed contact...still not test!
At this point what is the point of her being tested? Nothing to do but ride it out (no meds for confirmed cases) and keep our (the entire family) distance from grandma- hardest part.

How is your daughter doing? You and your family popped into my thoughts last night as I was reading the news. 

Not contact. Just someone on his floor. May have never been within 6 feet. Test or no test, if you got no symptoms you stay home. Hospitals send you home even with a positive test and symptoms as long as you don’t have other underlying health issues. There’s no treatment for it. Just gotta ride it out