Why Conceal carry

Buckmaster7600

5 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I don't carry all the time though as, I am very confident in my Strength + Martial Skills. 

I hope you never come up against some ghetto rat who's strapped up and have to defend yourself with just your strength + martial skills. Good luck with that.

• Like 3

I take the words of some smart people... In other states of course.. They say they want you to carry because they can’t say a cop will be there to protect you. Hopefully it will never be needed and a whole bunch of people are safer at the moment with me around wherever that may be at that time Me or mine will never be a sheep in line waiting our turn to see the Wolf. Our permits are unrestricted so it’s around most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I agree with many points made fellas.

“I carry because I’m not a good fighter and I don’t think I would enjoy being raped.”

That’s the line I started every one of my concealed carry classes I’ve ever taught.

It’s true but it’s not the entire story.

I carry because there are bad people in the world that want to do bad things. Every situation is different but I can honestly say I’m not going to shoot someone over my wallet. I’m not going to shoot someone over a robbery at a store I’m in. I will only ever draw my weapon if I need to stop the immediate threat. If I draw and they stop without me having to kill them, awesome if not....

When I was teaching the courses I would always ask a few questions before I started. Basically it was a series of questions that would end and if their hand was still up at the end they were admitting that they didn’t think they would be mentally able to take a humans life. At that time I would return them their money and ask/tell them to leave. If you’re carrying a gun you better damn well know how to use it and be able to use it to kill someone because the only thing worse than not having a gun is having when that you won’t or can’t use.

• Like 9

When I was teaching the courses I would always ask a few questions before I started. Basically it was a series of questions that would end and if their hand was still up at the end they were admitting that they didn’t think they would be mentally able to take a humans life. At that time I would return them their money and ask/tell them to leave. If you’re carrying a gun you better damn well know how to use it and be able to use it to kill someone because the only thing worse than not having a gun is having when that you won’t or can’t use.

So to expand off this last part. I get what you are saying 100% yet I remember back to my first years hunting and I loved it but I had yet to shoot and kill a deer. The thought was always in my head Will I be able to pull the trigger when the time came? As it ends up yes I was able to pull the trigger and take the life of an animal but I tell you what it changed me inside. I have no doubt I’m a different person because of that experience.

I’d like to think that if the time comes I’d have no issue pulling the trigger and ending another humans life in order to preserve my own life or the life of my family but honestly it brings me back to that moment before I pulled the trigger on my first doe. Can I do it.

• Like 1

There has only been one time when I really needed a gun, and I did not have one because I was in NYC and also in the employ of Uncle Sam, both  of  which precluded me carrying a handgun...

Fortunately, a patrol car with 4 ( count 'em  FOUR)  of Brooklyn's finest came down the street and rescued my pathetic white ass...

After that, I SWORE I would never be without the means to defend myself, as long as I had any control over it...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Pygmy said:

There has only been one time when I really needed a gun, and I did not have one because I was in NYC and also in the employ of Uncle Sam, both  of  which precluded me carrying a handgun...

Fortunately, a patrol car with 4 ( count 'em  FOUR)  of Brooklyn's finest came down the street and rescued my pathetic white ass...

After that, I SWORE I would never be without the means to defend myself, as long as I had any control over it...

Many have had that moment. Years ago there was a guy at work who ALWAYS carried off the job I mean always and at work he carried a pretty large folder . If I had to guess his gun went back and forth to work with him as well  . This was a mellow, polite urban living guy, many might have called him a yuppie back then .

I came to learn his Dad was killed in a hold up at a store he owned .

I've had my CC for 8 or so years now. I don't really go out in public often. Most of my days are spent going to and from work and the gym with social family and friend gatherings, none of which I carry. I know some believe this is a bad approach and "you never know". I don't disagree with that either, but I'm being honest. 

Typically if I'm traveling any decent distance, up to the mountains or we're going to a fair, festival, mall, movies, dinner etc though I'll throw the LCP in my pocket. Even my glock23 is too bulky for me to carry it. but the glock is a good truck/travel gun.

With that out of the way, the reason "I" carry is 98% to protect my family and the other 2% is if I was put in a position where I could stop or limit harm to others, I'd like to think I would. I'll stress think though... because none of us truly know how we'd react in a situation until we're in it. And you can check your john wayne bs at the door. Nobody knows. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I carry for self protection. I’d do anything possible to not have to pull the gun out first though. I’d imagine it’s a life changing event to pull a gun and even more so to use it. Mine is on me almost all day and that even includes when I’m home. It’s always concealed and I doubt many people including friends and family know I have it.

this is how I feel too. I know there are guys who fantasize about intruders and being the hero. I pray to god I never have to pull mine, let alone use it. especially in this state...

• Like 3

I have had my pistol permit since 1997. I don't carry very often. I really probably should. I run a store and I am always going to the bank with lots of money. I guess because I do it everyday I don't feel unsafe doing it. I know if a situation ever arises I am going to be upset that I wasn't carrying....Hopefully that never happens....I bought a S&W body guard intending to carry it everyday and I did for a few weeks and then I just stopped. Maybe I should start throwing it in my pocket everyday again. All the stupid laws make it so it seems like the one protecting themselves, at least in NY wind up the criminal. 

I was denied a pistol permit on my first application.  It was my fault, I was 19 or 20 and the app asked if you were ever arrested, along with disposition and court, etc.  I was too lazy to look it up (charged with assault when I was a bouncer in college) and simply said no since charges were dropped.  That didn't work.  I guess I could have appealed or applied later but decided I would not likely carry anyways.   Good thing they let me practice law.  lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Belo said:

2% is if I was put in a position where I could stop or limit harm to others, I'd like to think I would. I'll stress think though... because none of us truly know how we'd react in a situation until we're in it. And you can check your john wayne bs at the door. Nobody knows. 

So true. Unless you're highly trained LE or military, you just don't know how you'd react. I am neither, which is precisely why I avoid sketchy situations. 

• Like 1

A good discussion at work that continued to a group chat about why we conceal carry cane up the other day so I figured I would see what your guys take on the subject is.

Why do you conceal carry?

Is it for your safety/your families?

Do you feel it’s your duty to protect those around you?

Mainly because I can

• Like 1

Was told that by a pistol instructor. He said they can take all your guns. And chances are you will get them back.  After two years and lawyer fees.  
The reason I have only one pistol, cause I can only carry under those conditions.  Ridiculous. 

If you took it far enough they would be paying you back your lawyer fees and much much more

On 2/2/2020 at 4:19 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

When u apply the office tells you don't even apply for unrestricted cause you will just get denied unless your an officer. 

Funny how each county is different, when I applied for mine in Steuben. I put down for hunting / target , found out they only give unrestricted . 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I was denied a pistol permit on my first application.  It was my fault, I was 19 or 20 and the app asked if you were ever arrested, along with disposition and court, etc.  I was too lazy to look it up (charged with assault when I was a bouncer in college) and simply said no since charges were dropped.  That didn't work.  I guess I could have appealed or applied later but decided I would not likely carry anyways.   Good thing they let me practice law.  lol

What is the ramification of being denied? I've heard that's a black mark, but what exactly does it mean?

On 2/2/2020 at 4:36 PM, eaglemountainman said:

I hope you never come up against some ghetto rat who's strapped up and have to defend yourself with just your strength + martial skills. Good luck with that.

Had this happen to me in Bushwick Brooklyn when I was in my twenties. I still have his gun to this day...and he probably still has a limp. I am always armed, no matter what. I do, however, prefer to be up close, personal and silent so I am more of a knife guy. I have been training almost my entire life for things like this. (hand to hand, weapons, marksmanship) Although, I have been carrying since I was around 17. Brooklyn was a scary place in the 80s. You may look down at me for breaking the law back then, but I can assure I may not be here now if I didn't. 

The coyotes scare me more than the thugs do! 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, moog5050 said:

My guess is you were 21 , as that’s the minimum age, unless it was younger back then .