Do you shoot the doe if the fawns are with her?

mossy725

take the doe!! especially if with button bucks!! been doing this for years!! see a lot more yearling bucks as there is no momma to kick them out of the area!! they might eventually leave but i'd rather see yearlings just to keep up my sprits!!

T

I'd shoot her . The fawns will be fine . The mother would kick them out as soon as breeding season was to start anyway .

Not necessarily true... the doe will go out on her rendevous' and leave the fawns in an area and return after she has been bred. The fawns stay with the mother/doe for ever. It's the young first year bucks that get kicked out by the doe to join the boys club.

• Like 2

I have never been able to bring myself to do it. It is legal though and they say good deer management, so

i would not look down my nose at others who do. However, it has been my experience hunting my land

(and living on it every day) since 1991, that it's a crap shoot for the fawns once she is gone. They just don't have enough experience getting through their first deer season or winter, and usually end up in somebody's freezer just like momma or being picked off by coyotes.

• Like 1

Heck, I only shoot the doe if the fawns are with her.... I'm just a jerk that way,lol. :spiteful:

Honestly though, it doesn't really affect my decision when meat hunting, sometimes I'll whack the fawn if momma doesn't give me the shot.

Post season heading into winter see plenty of large doe groups being established for survivals sake. If your deer yard in the winter, the young will have plenty of mentors to see them through and show them the ropes.

I have a hard time taking a doe if she has fawns. Especially if she only has 1 fawn. Can't say that they don't need their mother after they lose their spots and have been weaned. They still haven't seen their first winter yet, so it would be benefitial to have momma around to get them through that.

And yes, does and fawns get back together again after she has been bred.

If you have ever shot a doe, you have most likely shot a doe with fawns - they just weren't with her.

They are very few true dry does and the the only other does without fawns would be some yearlings or one

that lost their fawns due to vehicles, etc.