NY to Allow online Hunter education

36 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Most see this as good news cause as hunters ourselves can teach hunter SAFETY. But what if there’s a single mom or parents that have zero knowledge, I could see where that is where the class benefits. 

There are always some of these in every class I've been a part of as an instructor. They are the ones that benefit the most from the hands on instruction. And will be the ones who will be left to figure it out on their own, while afield.

That said, being there are no classes scheduled. I don't want to see anyone that wants to hunt, be left out because they couldn't get a certification. Going totally online has been talked about in DEC for some time now. As it is being done in some other states, quite successfully.

Makes no difference to me personally. I just volunteered my time, as there was a need for more instructors. My only motivation was, to help new hunters. I will always be open to be a mentor to a new, or young hunter. Just as I was before becoming an instructor.

The circle will not be broken by me. As no course, online or otherwise, will ever take the place of a good mentor. 

I'll leave this with the words I said to every student as they received their certification. Said with a smile and a high five.....

Keep Safe!   Shoot Straight!

• Like 8

To be honest, I'm sure you all are in the same boat, my kids have been in the field with me. Been shooting my guns at our camp and know how to handle a gun. Thing is you mentor them also when hunting so they are not alone. Can't wait for the update. 

• Like 1

Most see this as good news cause as hunters ourselves can teach hunter SAFETY. But what if there’s a single mom or parents that have zero knowledge, I could see where that is where the class benefits. 

Is she a milf? Got pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The form sucks if you are older. You have to enter your birthday and the only way you can do that is go back 1 month at a time. So if you were born in 1960 and wanted to take the course you would have to click back each month...month by month until you got to your birthday. Who designs this jiberish. So if born on jan 1 1960 you would have to click back 724 times to enter your birthday! Geniuses! Guess they don't wsnt older people to sign up

Edited by Engraver99
  • Haha 1

Any idea if they will have this for the trapping classes? I've been trying to sign up for one for awhile now and they are always filled up or to far away from where I live. There are so few of them this online option would be great for them.

So my somewhat selfish take on this. I’m planning a Colorado elk hunt and in order to apply for a tag you have to provide proof of successful completion of your states hunter safety course. Unfortunately, I have no clue what happened to mine from 1974. Last I checked, the state had digitized records of hunter safety courses but not that far back. I would have to attend (and pass) the hunter safety course in order to apply so doing it online will be great for me.

Also, this makes it more important than ever that we experienced hunters mentor new hunters to ensure that they make safety and ethics the priority in their hunting experience.

i applaud NYS for getting it right for a change.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

They offering bow too?!?

From what I read on the DEC posting it is only for a limited time to allow first time hunters to get their safety course in and be able to spring turkey hunt. I believe this was just a reaction on the states part to the number of calls they got regarding all the classes being cancelled due to the Corona virus pandemic. I don't believe the state is going to go all online for training/education. Although, once they realize that it saves them $$ things may change. 

17 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

The form sucks if you are older. You have to enter your birthday and the only way you can do that is go back 1 month at a time. So if you were born in 1960 and wanted to take the course you would have to click back each month...month by month until you got to your birthday. Who designs this jiberish. So if born on jan 1 1960 you would have to click back 724 times to enter your birthday! Geniuses! Guess they don't wsnt older people to sign up

I don't think the course is up yet but I was just on the site and to register it was a pull down menu for the month, day and year. 

10 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

From what I read on the DEC posting it is only for a limited time to allow first time hunters to get their safety course in and be able to spring turkey hunt. I believe this was just a reaction on the states part to the number of calls they got regarding all the classes being cancelled due to the Corona virus pandemic. I don't believe the state is going to go all online for training/education. Although, once they realize that it saves them $$ things may change. 

It didn't cost anything to attend a hunter safety course. Now the state is charging $20 to take it. This is NYS! So you can see where the future of this is going.

Mixed emotions on this. Very good since it avoids the scheduling problems that you have with teenagers/youngsters now. Also avoids the problem of anti-hunters flooding a course and then being no shows (problem in some areas). Also keeps folks from signing up for courses that they cannot realistically get their kids to, and then switching courses when there is something closer/more convient.    

BUT..... the lack of field work is a problem. From the instructors that I know, they feel that this is the most important part for a segment of the youth. There are a whole bunch of youngsters out there that are semi-literate and do not learn well from books. The field portion is invaluable to them. Also ferrets out which youngsters colluded with a parent or one of their buddies to do the homework.

Its here, and is a great opportunity to  get new hunters their license. Just hope they  are as safety conscious as the students that go through traditional courses.

1 minute ago, Farflung said:

grampy - think that the moneys are going to go to the private company that is running the online course. Better than coming out of the Conservation Fund.

Yes sir, you would be right. My point is, being this is NYS, I can easily see where it will eventually cost $100 to take the course. Money that will be split between the conservation fund, and the general fund. 

But perhaps I'm getting ahead of things here? Most importantly, the new hunters wanting to turkey hunt this season, will have the opportunity. After that, we'll have to see where this goes?

The press release that I read says that it is temporary, April 15th-June 30th. Obviously, this could change based on necessity, or even someone recognizing it as a revenue stream.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2020/04/dec-offers-complete-online-hunter-safety-course-for-limited-time-only.html?fbclid=IwAR0C0jHJAWiZDAyq3lFIPmAMumcSCk11KDsXB92uMUB9_IUCTsGq6j4mQXw

I agree, the hands-on field work is important, and working with several Hunter Ed Instructors myself, I know that the personal touch provided by knowledgeable instructors is irreplaceable. However, if it helps get more kids in the outdoors, I'm all for it. 

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't think the course is up yet but I was just on the site and to register it was a pull down menu for the month, day and year. 

I dont know, following the original link in the first post i still get the same thing..just checked again..an April calendar with only a back arrow on the left top side of the calendar that only lets you go back 1 month at a time. Maybe its different on a pc if thats what you are using, am using my phone and thats what i see. Was hoping one could select month, day, year separately.

Edited by Engraver99

• 1 month later...

My daughter just completed the online course.  Got to say that it's WAY better than the in person class my son took last year.  She learned a hell of a lot MORE doing this online class in my honest opinion than my son did in his class.  Each page you turn to is timed and you can't skip or rush thru sections, so you will definitely spend a good many hours taking this course.  But, the good thing is that you can do it at your own pace.  Don't have to do it all in one sitting.  After each section you get quizzed and you have to pass with an 80%.   At the very end you have to pass a 50 question exam.  Lots of good videos on gun and tree stand safety that I didn't see at the in person class.  All we saw at the in person class was a couple old videos that looked like they were made in the 1980's.  Highly recommend this and hope the DEC decides to keep this online class.  Right now this online course is available only thru June 30, so if you know of someone who wants to be a hunter let them know about it promptly.  It costs $20, but well worth the money, most especially since you can do it at home, at your own pace and don't have to kill a whole day at an in person class.

• Like 1

My daughter just completed the online course.  Got to say that it's WAY better than the in person class my son took last year.  She learned a hell of a lot MORE doing this online class in my honest opinion than my son did in his class.  Each page you turn to is timed and you can't skip or rush thru sections, so you will definitely spend a good many hours taking this course.  But, the good thing is that you can do it at your own pace.  Don't have to do it all in one sitting.  After each section you get quizzed and you have to pass with an 80%.   At the very end you have to pass a 50 question exam.  Lots of good videos on gun and tree stand safety that I didn't see at the in person class.  All we saw at the in person class was a couple old videos that looked like they were made in the 1980's.  Highly recommend this and hope the DEC decides to keep this online class.  Right now this online course is available only thru June 30, so if you know of someone who wants to be a hunter let them know about it promptly.  It costs $20, but well worth the money, most especially since you can do it at home, at your own pace and don't have to kill a whole day at an in person class.

Any sign of the bow course being offered online?

50 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Congratulations to your daughter! We welcome her to the hunting ranks! Always so cool to have a young hunter join us!

Wishing you both a lifetime of hunting memories together.

• Like 1