Online NYS pistol permit

turkeyfeathers

It is unconstitutional to force people to pass any sort of test, or qualify to exercise any right.  This test puts a right in the same category as a privilege.  Nobody should be willing to accept these restraints without a lawsuit against them.

We get the type of government we allow.  I'm surprised people in these areas just roll over and comply with this oppression without raising hell with their elected officials.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rattler said:

It is unconstitutional to force people to pass any sort of test, or qualify to exercise any right.  This test puts a right in the same category as a privilege.  Nobody should be willing to accept these restraints without a lawsuit against them.

We get the type of government we allow.  I'm surprised people in these areas just roll over and comply with this oppression without raising hell with their elected officials.

Unfortunate we have to jump thru hoops.  But have you tried buying a handgun without a permit ? 

Once you agree to jump through the hoops, you are resigned to buying with their test required.  I'd rather not have a handgun then comply with this crap.  BTW, criminals buy handguns without permits all the time, as do some responsible gun owners who refuse to comply.  So this law really has nothing to do with crime prevention at all.  Does it increase safety?  Maybe we should compare counties that don't require this to the one's that do and see which is safer.

Three years ago I applied and got prints done, wrote up my reasons on why I wanted a handgun permit and was declined. I always thought about trying this again but I imagine it’s even harder to get than before. It’s a bunch of crap and I wasted my money and time . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Yes, but I was in a southern state .

But cannot legally bring it to NY without getting a permit first, which is ridiculous.  What do you do with it until you get the permit, and if denied you have to sell it.

It would be easy to stop people from buying handguns where a safety test is required.  Just take the tests offline and stop setting any up.  How funny that would be, huh?

NY residents really have very little knowledge of their rights.  That's why they lost them years ago.  They willingly gave them away.

39 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Three years ago I applied and got prints done, wrote up my reasons on why I wanted a handgun permit and was declined. I always thought about trying this again but I imagine it’s even harder to get than before. It’s a bunch of crap and I wasted my money and time . 

What county was this in? I never heard of anyone being denied...unless ofcoarse u have felonies on ur record.

8 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

What county was this in? I never heard of anyone being denied...unless ofcoarse u have felonies on ur record.

Erie County no felonies. I was a reference for a buddy of mine and a police officer called me for his interview. After we spoke I told him my story. He said Erie County it’s very strict. I gave up after that. 

I really don't understand the pistol permit process. The way I understand it is that you cannot own a handgun unless you have a permit, but in order to get a permit, you have to have a handgun to put on it, is that correct?

My dad is wanting to bring out some of his guns this fall (hopefully), and wants to give me a couple of handguns. I'm not sure what the process looks like for this, whether we need to do a transfer, whether I just need to get the SN and such and apply for a permit. I'll cross the bridge when I get there I guess. 

On a related note, in Illinois, you had to register through the state police for a Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card to have a firearm in your possession if you were over 16. Under 16 needed to be with a responsible adult who had a FOID card. These were renewed every 10 years. You had to have a FOID card in order to purchase firearms (long guns and handguns) and ammunition. Long guns had a 24 hour hold to purchase, and handguns had a 72 hour hold. Up until 5 years ago or so, private purchases didn't need to be documented, but I know that has changed since I've moved. It's interesting to see the differences and similarities between the states. 

1 hour ago, sodfather said:

In Oneida county if you ask for an unrestricted youll be denied.  They tell you at office to apply for Hunting, Fishing, hiking, target.  And it will say that right on your permit.  Might be the same issue.  If you put home/personal defense.

9 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

I really don't understand the pistol permit process. The way I understand it is that you cannot own a handgun unless you have a permit, but in order to get a permit, you have to have a handgun to put on it, is that correct?

My dad is wanting to bring out some of his guns this fall (hopefully), and wants to give me a couple of handguns. I'm not sure what the process looks like for this, whether we need to do a transfer, whether I just need to get the SN and such and apply for a permit. I'll cross the bridge when I get there I guess. 

On a related note, in Illinois, you had to register through the state police for a Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card to have a firearm in your possession if you were over 16. Under 16 needed to be with a responsible adult who had a FOID card. These were renewed every 10 years. You had to have a FOID card in order to purchase firearms (long guns and handguns) and ammunition. Long guns had a 24 hour hold to purchase, and handguns had a 72 hour hold. Up until 5 years ago or so, private purchases didn't need to be documented, but I know that has changed since I've moved. It's interesting to see the differences and similarities between the states. 

have to get a pistol in first 6 months of having permit i believe.  Some shops even sell cheap guns and call them permit holders. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Splitear , No not correct , get the permit then a gun   . Our oldest has her permit but doesn’t have a gun on it yet . All guns are listed on your permit here , I was going to co register one of mine on it, after she moved ( just did ) but the county clerk is not doing any permit stuff now ....

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

have to get a pistol in first 6 months of permit i believe.  Some shops even sell cheap guns and call them permit holders. 

They got rid of that stipulation thankfully. You now get your permit and do not have a time table to buy a gun which is nice because you spend a fair amount of money on the permit process itself then to only have 6 months to potentially spend another $300+ 

Just now, Moho81 said:

They got rid of that stipulation thankfully. You now get your permit and do not have a time table to buy a gun which is nice because you spend a fair amount of money on the permit process itself then to only have 6 months to potentially spend another $300+ 

oh well thats good.  I got mine a while ago.  Had a gun on layaway til permit went thru. 

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Splitear , No not correct , get the permit then a gun   . Our oldest has her permit but doesn’t have a gun on it yet . All guns are listed on your permit here , I was going to co register one of mine on it, after she moved ( just did ) but the county clerk is not doing any permit stuff now ....

So, looking at Saratoga County's application packet, one of the requirements is "• Have a receipt from a gun dealer showing the handgun that will be on your permit." This is where I'm kind of confused.

https://saratogacountysheriff.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2019-Basic-Pistol-Application.pdf

16 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

Nope. Use to be that way. Not  in years though

Erie county had become a little more lenient the past year or two. I know a handful of people my wife included that received their pistol permits this year and each of them received a conceal carry right away. 

• Like 4