Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Stepped out at 5 and the wind was blowing pretty good (Ulster). I gave it an hour and it only got worse. Tomorrow has promise according to the weatherman, I Hope. Starting to panic because we're into May pretty good here and it's flying by fast. So I pulled out my Turkey log book and looked back over 15 yrs of my Turkey kills and I have nailed Gobblers right up to May 24th and several mid month, the 16th, 12th.. So despite everything I still have hope..

• Like 1

Days like today I'm glad I'm no longer hunting....

Ontario gobbler season opens April 25th, and most years I have hunted the first week..A few years ago we had a day like today...

My buddy's health was better then and he was hunting every day..About mid morning he stopped by my blind to check on me...

I was shaking like a dog passing peach pits...I told him I was glad he stopped because if a turkey showed up HE would have to shoot it, since I was shaking so badly..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otto said:

We have a turkey for today too!  Great day for a full on Thanksgiving spread! 

Tried to buy a turkey for that this weekend as well. Wasnt a single one in the store.  And was going into another store just for that.  But perfect weekend for a turkey dinner.

4 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Just getting a chance to post up my successful hunt yesterday. 14.09 pounds and pulled out of the freezer at approximately 9:45am. emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png
1ce055ce82ad0b4959e56431c1442654.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice before pic. Try not to let the after pic look like this . It’s one we responded to a few years ago .

1304533D-70C3-4148-8989-A10107BA480A.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

All I can say is that today was a simple case of stubbornness determined to spring turkey hunt in the snow. Lets just say by 7:30 I had the shivers so bad, I probably couldn't have shot a turkey if I tried. I had to get up and walk to warm up. I never heard a gobble so I figured they were on the feed. I walked way up top to the corn field that just got plowed. There were 15 turkeys out there, including some toms, and absolutely no strutting or gobbling. They are still around, but just not meant to be today. I got to my car about 9:30 and the wind was howling.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Tried to buy a turkey for that this weekend as well. Wasnt a single one in the store.  And was going into another store just for that.  But perfect weekend for a turkey dinner.

This was one in our freezer from the annual employee giveaway at Thanksgiving.  I saw it in the freezer last week and figure might as well!  It’s my daughter’s birthday so it was a nice celebration.  Still have Raspberry Rhubarb pie for later on too! 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Otto said:

This was one in our freezer from the annual employee giveaway at Thanksgiving.  I saw it in the freezer last week and figure might as well!  It’s my daughter’s birthday so it was a nice celebration.  Still have Raspberry Rhubarb pie for later on too! 

Sounds fabulous. I will prob try shopping for one in a field at sunup tomorrow. A turkey that is, but if a rhubarb pie shows up it's in play too. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I wish Pharoahs strip club would give away an employee or two for thanksgiving. Speaking for a friend 

Git one for me too!!!!   No bouncers either - DANCERS ONLY

Edited by Otto
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I wish Pharoahs strip club would give away an employee or two for thanksgiving. Speaking for a friend 

I been thinking that a lot of those girls are now hard up for rent money .....

• Like 1

Copy/Paste from the group text I just sent ‘cause I’m too mad to retype it:

I'm up and antsy. Blew a great looking morning to hunt I think. Then I'm laying in bed thinking about the weather; shit, the two days I have commitments are Tuesday and Wednesday, the ONLY days that look decent as far as the forecast shows!! All the way till May 19th is shit....uggh

(excuse the salty language)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Heard a Gobble at 5.16am and another somewhat closer Tom Gobble at 5,36am.  Not calling at all yet.

Why?

It looks like you posted at 6:10am and your legal shooting time was an hour ago.....Public Land I’d guess so others could have heard them too, why not call?

7 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Soon. I want the Hens to come in this Field possibly with Gobbler in Tow. She hears another Hen and that is not happening.  Remember- they are Pressured on Public Dirt. This has worked before.

I’d much rather call to a gobbler with out hens than with.  Be the first he hears before you have other hens to compete with.   My .02 fwiw 

• Like 2