Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

18 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Well done, My Friend....Another multiple bearded bird..!!...

BTW, Who is the fat guy standing in the background.....

That picture put 40lbs on me, Covid 19 helped.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Haha 1

Headed out with my cousin on 300 acres we scouted yesterday.  Trying to get him his first bird. How does he kill so  many deer ? He missed not a single stick to step on ! He whiffed on our double last year.  Moons bright AF 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

Hunting my brother in laws back yard this morning, I can hear a faint gobble off to my left through the woods. My sister in law says they always come from that direction around6:30 sounds like her intel may be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fasteddie said:

My Turkey Season got disrupted . I had planned on going out Tuesday am but had to cancel . Monday evening ,just before dinner , my wife tripped coming up from the basement . She fell at the top , fell into the kitchen , hit her head and landed on her left hip . Took her to Urgent care for x-ray . Possible fracture . Drove wife to Highland Hospital . They did some further checks and yesterday am , she had the left hip ball and socket done . Brought her home this evening . So much for Turkey Hunting . 

Get one for me !

hope the wife makes a quick recovery 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yesterday.........went to my spot in Arcade.  Got there plenty early and around 5:30am I had some very distant gobbling in an area I know well.  Got as close as I dared as they were on the ground already and got set up.  It sounded like an adult and a jake to my untrained ear.  They appeared to be separated by 75-100 yards and I kept having to focus my attention on the one that sounded like the adult.  After coming to probably 100 yards they headed towards a big open field, one that they like to head to and strut their stuff for their hens.  I decided I'd better try and cut them off if possible so I backed off and circled down around towards the field.  I made my set up ready and hit them with a couple horeshoe call yelps.  I got some hot replies and here they come but my elation was short lived as the came to just below the crest of a little rise I was on and hung up, maybe 50 yards.  They backed off and headed in a different direction this time! 

I gave them some time and devised a new plan.  They were heading east and I knew that area good too, as I've been fooled just about everywhere on this block. :)

I decided to sneak as best I could up the hill to a flat between two big fields but trying to not be exposed to the decent chunk of open woods between these two fields.  Well I got into position and made a quick excited yelp or two on the mouth call with no reply, then after a few minutes I hit the crow call and got the same thing, NUTHIN'.

Oh crap, here we go.......another dead end with henned up birds and and empty game bag.  BTDT

So I reached into my bag of tricks and pulled out the old Lynch box call and figured why not?  It's always my last choice as I like my mouth calls better but I cranked out a series of yelps and holy kielbasa they hollered and close too!! I shimmied over to another tree about 15' away with a better trunk structure for that direction, it was risky as the gobbles were close but I went anyway.   All was quiet for a couple minutes and I decided to scratch out another short series on the box and BAM, here we go, set the call down and up with the gun.

Within seconds here comes two red heads, damn jakes.  Then a big white head popped up, then two more red heads.  The first two jakes were getting close, like 15' away and they started to putt putt.  Damn, ok big white head gobbling Jake today is your day. About 9:15 AM

No excuses, I shot a Jake and I'm proud of it.  He had a 5" beard with a second beard 2" (2 1/8" for Bizzy) although it wasn't totally vertical it wasn't horizontal like his four other red headed buddies.  I shot the bad ass of the group.  :)

IUGZDjV.jpg

Wow your gun looks to be nearly 6’ long!

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Wow your gun looks to be nearly 6’ long!

It’s an old fisherman’s trick I learned from Long Armed Andrew.  :)

I was thinking it’d make me look thinner but it didn’t work.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Once again, no turkey in my backyard, at least than I can see from my recliner.   Darn birds.  

thats about how my buddy hunts them.  He drives down the road to see if they are out in the field by his house.  lol  He isnt much into turkeys. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fasteddie said:

My Turkey Season got disrupted . I had planned on going out Tuesday am but had to cancel . Monday evening ,just before dinner , my wife tripped coming up from the basement . She fell at the top , fell into the kitchen , hit her head and landed on her left hip . Took her to Urgent care for x-ray . Possible fracture . Drove wife to Highland Hospital . They did some further checks and yesterday am , she had the left hip ball and socket done . Brought her home this evening . So much for Turkey Hunting . 

Get one for me !

Sorry to read about your wife's fall. A couple years ago, my wife insisted on relocating our washer/dryer to somewhere upstairs. We voted on it and although the vote was 1 for and 1 against. I lost, but afterwards, I was glad we did the relocation. One less potential tripping/falling scenario to deal with in the future. Hope she heals up well..

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I shimmied over to another tree about 15' away with a better trunk structure for that direction, it was risky as the gobbles were close but I went anyway.  

congrats lawd. This scene plays out all the time and sometimes we kick ourselves for it. Great visual though because I can picture the whole thing!

• Thanks 1

Out at 5am walked under a gobbler and he let me know it. I set up on field edge 100 yards away and he gobbled nonstop for an hour. Had a hen fly down and yelp and cluck her way towards me. She stayed nearby for half an hour, other bird still gobbling in a tree. She starts cutting, he gets quiet, she walks away....game over. Never saw him fly down and i waited another 45 minutes.
Moved into another set of woods, very quiet turkey wise. Lots of woodpeckers, blue jays and a couple of grouse.
Going till noon if i can stay warm enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So this was late afternoon of the thursday before opening day. I thought it was going to be a good omen. Turned out wrong. She was feeding out in the yard for an hour and a half. I kept an eye on her that whole time.  I had stuff to do outside but didn't want to scare her off, hoping she had a boyfriend somewhere near by. Push came to shove so I said the heck with it, I started to call her with the patented poult whistle. ;) 

She came in on a string from 60 yards. then paced back and forth for a while trying to locate me. What I was really trying to do was get her to come up on the steps, but no luck.  My plan for next season is to bring that old painted white screen door with me in the woods, apparently it's amazing turkey camouflage. :D 

Crappy cropped video for PERSEC reasons. lol

• Like 2