Hello from 5r

Modern hillbilly

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

Welcome aboard...jump right in!

Gun hunting or bow or both? Public land? Private land? Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gun as of now, a bow is on the list but I'm inexperienced with modern compounds. I feel as though I would need to setup/practice yesterday to be  to be confident.

I'll be hunting my own land.

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

Welcome, where in 5R do you live? I live in 5R but hunt in 4K. They give doe tags out like candy in 5R.....

I live in the burnt hills-Ballston- Charlton area.

I might be niave but I'm targeting bucks only. I see the same stupid does all the time so it's like I know them, takes the sporting feel away from it.

• Like 2

I might be niave but I'm targeting bucks only. I see the same stupid does all the time so it's like I know them, takes the sporting feel away from it.

Sporting feel may be missing but the culinary feel is all there!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Modern hillbilly said:

Gun as of now, a bow is on the list but I'm inexperienced with modern compounds. I feel as though I would need to setup/practice yesterday to be  to be confident.

I'll be hunting my own land.

I live in Saratoga now but I grew up in Burnt Hills. My Grandmother lived in the Charlton Village so I spent a lot of time in Charlton as well. 

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

I live in Saratoga now but I grew up in Burnt Hills. My Grandmother lived in the Charlton Village so I spent a lot of time in Charlton as well. 

The area has changed a ton in the past 30ish years. I miss being able to tell people where I'm from and they don't know where it is. I grew up in Ballston half naked and barefoot in the woods...neighbor chootin squirrels with a shotgun in the front yard....now you don't even see kids outside anymore.

One of the few good things from the Chinese virus is working from home, thinking of moving. That's the other reason I decided to hunt deer this year. For years I've stopped trespassing poachers, from deer to out of season grouse to trapping beaver and cutting firewood. I've even been down range when neighbors decide to start target shooting..just walking on my own land. Figure everyone else has used it as theirs I might as well in case we're not here next year.

5 minutes ago, Modern hillbilly said:

The area has changed a ton in the past 30ish years. I miss being able to tell people where I'm from and they don't know where it is. I grew up in Ballston half naked and barefoot in the woods...neighbor chootin squirrels with a shotgun in the front yard....now you don't even see kids outside anymore.

One of the few good things from the Chinese virus is working from home, thinking of moving. That's the other reason I decided to hunt deer this year. For years I've stopped trespassing poachers, from deer to out of season grouse to trapping beaver and cutting firewood. I've even been down range when neighbors decide to start target shooting..just walking on my own land. Figure everyone else has used it as theirs I might as well in case we're not here next year.

Yes, it has changed a lot.....That's disgusting that you are having that many issues with people trespassing etc.....

13 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Yes, it has changed a lot.....That's disgusting that you are having that many issues with people trespassing etc.....

Oh well that's people for ya.

Demographics are changing. Everyone I knew as a kid moved outta dodge.

We hooked up with an excellent Dec officer, he's just outside of the area but always makes time as soon as he can. He knows when we call it's not hanky panky and he has a good chance of writing a ticket. 

Between patrolling and telling everyone (neighbors) stories of prosecution alot has stopped. I hate being a dick and having a reputation of stay the hell off my lawn but that's what it's come to. Never minded neighbors passing through, but people can't even bother asking anymore.

I've seen other local landowners put on FB that" poachers caught Dec is patrolling":nono:

I actually have to put up more posted signs this weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...