New member out of Capital District

CarlosB

Hi all. I've been hunting about 4 years now. Started hunting on  a friend of a friends raised box blind on old farm. Been going out to public land in 4H lately. Really want the accomplishment of going out, finding sign, setting up, and harvesting a deer.

Recently got a climber, trying to get comfortable with standing up on the platform.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CarlosB said:

Hi all. I've been hunting about 4 years now. Started hunting on  a friend of a friends raised box blind on old farm. Been going out to public land in 4H lately. Really want the accomplishment of going out, finding sign, setting up, and harvesting a deer.

Recently got a climber, trying to get comfortable with standing up on the platform.

Welcome to the circus.  Good luck this yr.  Please wear a safety harness when using the climber or any stand. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Welcome! I too am in the Capital area (Ballston Spa)! I use only my climber or ground. Once you get used to them, they are extremely comfortable and versatile. 

I'm out of Schenectady

I was attempting to still hunt for a while. I have gotten within 60 yards on several occasions, but never within bow range. My biggest weakness is not being able to sit still for long and always thinking there is a better spot just a bit further.

Prior to that my issue was walking into the woods in the dark, but I've overcome that mostly.

It is nice just being in the woods, though, it would be better walking out with a filled tag

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarlosB said:

I'm out of Schenectady

I was attempting to still hunt for a while. I have gotten within 60 yards on several occasions, but never within bow range. My biggest weakness is not being able to sit still for long and always thinking there is a better spot just a bit further.

Prior to that my issue was walking into the woods in the dark, but I've overcome that mostly.

It is nice just being in the woods, though, it would be better walking out with a filled tag

Welcome!  4H also, but on the very southern tip almost 4g.  

18 minutes ago, mowin said:

Welcome to the circus.  Good luck this yr.  Please wear a safety harness when using the climber or any stand. 

I use the harness when climbing up/down. 

I used to do confined space work so the harness doesn't bother me at all. 

• Like 1

I'm out of Schenectady

Well I guess one perk of having a climber is that if you don't like where you're at, you can move to a different spot next time. Developing patience in the stand certainly isn't easy. Especially when you see deer that are on the other side of a field. The key is finding a good spot and giving it time. I'm a big fan of finding a field edge and/or fence row that connects to another. I've had a lot of luck this way.

I use the harness when climbing up/down. 

I used to do confined space work so the harness doesn't bother me at all. 

You leave it on while sitting as well, correct? I've had the bottom of my platform fall out from underneath me before when I stood up and was really thankful for that harness...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Splitear said:

You leave it on while sitting as well, correct? I've had the bottom of my platform fall out from underneath me before when I stood up and was really thankful for that harness...

I do. Attached with the tree strap. The climber I have also has straps to connect the upper and lower sections to prevent complete loss of the platform.

I really appreciate the concern.

3 minutes ago, CarlosB said:

I do. Attached with the tree strap. The climber I have also has straps to connect the upper and lower sections to prevent complete loss of the platform.

I really appreciate the concern.

I figured as much, but I have know guys that do the opposite, use the harness once in the tree, but take it off for climbing. 

Mine has that strap as well, but boy it will shake you up when you stand up and your floor fall out 20ft off the ground :)

Welcome!!! Climbers are about the only thing I hunt from except for a ladder or two. They are by far the most comfortable and I feel most secure now in them. Practice low- climb a few feet off the ground and lock in and then play around with where you can stand, how you can shoot, how high the seat should be, etc.
It will also take some practice getting the straps right depending on tree thickness. Typically you need to start with it angling up as most trees narrow going up. I hate when my platform is angled down when up the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Welcome!!! Climbers are about the only thing I hunt from except for a ladder or two. They are by far the most comfortable and I feel most secure now in them. Practice low- climb a few feet off the ground and lock in and then play around with where you can stand, how you can shoot, how high the seat should be, etc.
It will also take some practice getting the straps right depending on tree thickness. Typically you need to start with it angling up as most trees narrow going up. I hate when my platform is angled down when up the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been meaning to start climbing trees in the backyard at lunch, since I'm working from home.

Thanks for the tips

• Like 1