Vaccination

40 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Because the article posted, the person stated that he is basing it purely on the fact that there was a small outbreak in 1917 that they couldn't identify and that the mortality rate is lower in China.  The news report was a small outbreak in the US that they couldn't identify and guess what?  Which country has a low mortality rate?  I'm just saying if one is a theory, why can't the other also be?  Assisted living residents don't generally travel around much.

PS: The CDC/American Red Cross report by the way, is not a theory.

Intimating it originated in the US due to that nursing home data is, though ; as I said, not likely all based on the way events unfloded

My liberal friends think I'm conservative because I'm always countering them.  My conservative friends think I'm a liberal because I'm always countering them.  In my opinion, only listening to people who agree with you only enhances your belief good or bad.  Listening to counter points with an open mind helps you grow.  That's why I play the devil's advocate a lot.  That's why I mean by I do this with both sides of the fence.

It’s funny I kind of have the same thing... I’d say I’m very far from liberal. I used to identify as a conservative and still do to a extent. That being said I think it’s a shame what the Republican Party has become... party before country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chef said:

It’s funny I kind of have the same thing... I’d say I’m very far from liberal. I used to identify as a conservative and still do to a extent. That being said I think it’s a shame what the Republican Party has become... party before country

Hmm...Many would argue that description is more fitting for the Dems  myself included.  Nice to be moderate , though, and I would argue the vast majority of members on here would fall under that category, myself included.

Hmm...Many would argue that description is more fitting for the Dems  myself included.  Nice to be moderate , though, and I would argue the vast majority of members on here would fall under that category, myself included.

I’ve always been a registered Republican, I don’t think I will continue to be. It’s really sad to see how ignorant the Republican base has become. Apparently the spoiled billionaire with a reputation for ripping off contractors and other workers suddenly became the man of the people

4 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

No, it is the fault of the place in which it originated if the same practices which led to its development and manifestation are continued . China has known ,for quite some time now, about the correlation between the wet markets and species-jumping viral diseases, yet they persist in conducting and holding such markets...it is now time to finally stop IMHO 

Be careful what you wish for!  History, especially recent,  has taught me this is precisely how this would get resolved.  America tells China this wet market stuff has to stop.  China tells America we have been doing this for 1,000s of years and is part of our culture.  America says you need to do things the way we do it here in America.  China says okay but you will need to give me XXXX trillion dollars to make these changes and educate my people to change the culture.  Then America ends up with some bailout bill with trillions of dollars going to China instead of the American people.

2 hours ago, Elmo said:

My liberal friends think I'm conservative because I'm always countering them.  My conservative friends think I'm a liberal because I'm always countering them.  In my opinion, only listening to people who agree with you only enhances your belief good or bad.  Listening to counter points with an open mind helps you grow.  That's why I play the devil's advocate a lot.  That's why I mean by I do this with both sides of the fence.

Amen, brother. My colleagues in academia think I'm hopelessly redneck and my friends who I hunt and fish with think that I'm a brainiac dweeb. But my wife thinks i'm the man, and that's all that really matters to me at the end of the day lol.

Because she's a hot Australian AND has an endowed chair at our University. She is firing on all cylinders. Need I say more?

Edited by knehrke
  • Like 1

Not sure about a new standard, I need to read up, but I will state that as someone who uses PCR genotyping on a daily basis, setting the threshold for positive at 40 cycles seemed IMHO to be overly sensitive, resulting in excessive false positives. The consensus appeared to be that it was better to have false positives than false negatives.
As for modifying the vaccine to accommodate new variants, in theory it's simple. The mRNA is a synthetic reagent, and we can change the sequence at will to mimic the viral mutations. No escape!! In practice, it may be slightly more difficult (some mutations may result in a less antigenic protein fragment that just doesn't stimulate your immune system as effectively).

I've been telling these guys this for a year, they don't listen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, left field said:

There's a well-known seafood restaurant on the way from the Changi airport in Singapore that has a large sign out front which reads, If It Swims, We Have It.

You'll never convince or force the chinese to give up their traditional diets. 

Yes, I'm sure youre right, To my chagrin :(

I’ve always been a registered Republican, I don’t think I will continue to be. It’s really sad to see how ignorant the Republican base has become. Apparently the spoiled billionaire with a reputation for ripping off contractors and other workers suddenly became the man of the people

I’ve always been a registered Democrat, I don’t think I will continue to be. It’s really sad to see how the ignorant democratic base has become. Apparently the demented old man with a reputation of sniffing children and shady business deals with foreign country’s that’s been in politics for 50 years became the man of the people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The World Health Organization has changed its guidance on whether pregnant women can safely take a COVID-19 vaccine.

The organization previously warned pregnant women against receiving the Moderna vaccine, originally saying the vaccine was "currently not recommended" for pregnant women unless they are at high risk of exposure.

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The World Health Organization has changed its guidance on whether pregnant women can safely take a COVID-19 vaccine.

The organization previously warned pregnant women against receiving the Moderna vaccine, originally saying the vaccine was "currently not recommended" for pregnant women unless they are at high risk of exposure.

Some times I wonder if these people just flip a coin in the air to make decisions .

12 hours ago, knehrke said:

Not sure about a new standard, I need to read up, but I will state that as someone who uses PCR genotyping on a daily basis, setting the threshold for positive at 40 cycles seemed IMHO to be overly sensitive, resulting in excessive false positives. The consensus appeared to be that it was better to have false positives than false negatives.

As for modifying the vaccine to accommodate new variants, in theory it's simple. The mRNA is a synthetic reagent, and we can change the sequence at will to mimic the viral mutations. No escape!! In practice, it may be slightly more difficult (some mutations may result in a less antigenic protein fragment that just doesn't stimulate your immune system as effectively).

Transnetyx changed my life. 

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

I see Chemung county recieved a whopping 200 doses this week . At this rate perhaps I will be able to double it up with my fall flue shot  . 

All this will just be a bad memory before everyone can get a vaccine. 

On 2/1/2021 at 9:08 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

On 2/1/2021 at 9:11 PM, phantom said:

Some times I wonder if these people just flip a coin in the air to make decisions .

No coin flip and guidances can and should change based on evolving evidence/science; especially regarding pregnancy. Most all vaccines and medications are "not recommended' in pregnancy.   Vaccines/medications when the pre-clinical/animal data shows no pregnancy issue and there is no human data, than it will be "not recommended".  If pre-clinical/animal data or human data shows a problem, than it will be "contraindicated".  If human data shows it is safe in pregnancy/no problem, than it will be "recommended".  

31 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

All this will just be a bad memory before everyone can get a vaccine. 

Sister and brother in law are at their winter home in FLA. they have to get up at 6 Am and log on ,to try and get an appointment. It like trying to get concert tickets to a popular act , by the time  you pick your date and time and try to lock it in it’s gone .

They say anyone not comfortable on computers ( older folks ) are sol .