LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

More forgiving perhaps. But I don’t shoot a. Wby300 Mag so I can find them if I hit them in the hoof.                                                          Point is that the guy once again giving the so called advice has once again to be proven to be talking out his ass without any true experience and even dissing those that have experience and the numbers to go with.                                                                 But Typical.  

I am not disagreeing with you in the slightest. In fact I stated the 243 is the more efficient killer for sure.

He can be a goof that’s for sure… I mean as far as he is concerned if JC is guiding his bullet caliber shouldn’t matter any way.

Other than that I think you would agree that what I said is fairly accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mowin said:

Not at all.  Just hate it when someone who knows absolutely squat about a subject, spouts off like there a expert, and keeps going when they have been proven wrong multiple times.

Not sure what you mean about “proven wrong multiple times”.  Isn’t g-man out there maybe proving me right currently ?  

Is the recoil of 7mm-08 too much for you ?

9 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Not sure what you mean about “proven wrong multiple times”.  Isn’t g-man out there maybe proving me right currently ?  

Is the recoil of 7mm-08 too much for you ?

Lol, how is he proving you correct? Have you not seen the many pics that have proven you wrong time and time again?  The deer unfortunately wasn't hit in the vitals.  Are you saying that wherever a 44m or 30-30 bullet hits it's a dead deer? 

Love the recoil of my 7mm-08. Don't think you could handle it though. 

42 minutes ago, Chef said:

I am not disagreeing with you in the slightest. In fact I stated the 243 is the more efficient killer for sure.

He can be a goof that’s for sure… I mean as far as he is concerned if JC is guiding his bullet caliber shouldn’t matter any way.

Other than that I think you would agree that what I said is fairly accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% agreed with ALL of the above!!!

16 minutes ago, mowin said:

Lol, how is he proving you correct? Have you not seen the many pics that have proven you wrong time and time again?  The deer unfortunately wasn't hit in the vitals.  Are you saying that wherever a 44m or 30-30 bullet hits it's a dead deer? 

Love the recoil of my 7mm-08. Don't think you could handle it though. 

Pictures of dead deer don’t really prove anything, because a .22 short will do that, if you hit the right spot.  The 30/30 is more forgiving if you miss that spot. 

in a short range, near or in heavy cover situation, I feel that both the 30/30 and the .44 mag are better than a .243.    I hope g-man finds that doe tonight but even then. I am pretty sure he would agree.  

Never shot a 7mm/08 but I have not been bothered by recoil while hunting.  On the range is another story.  This is my hardest kicking gun: Ithaca featherlight 16 gauge.   I always use a pin on recoil pad when I check the zero each September.

I dont remember any “kick” from it when a big one stopped nearby, 50 yards away, a couple weeks ago.  It was cold that evening, and I had multiple layers up top, so maybe that’s why.

23BB54CA-8C6E-4516-966F-8F84AC045E87.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

Pictures of dead deer don’t really prove anything, because a .22 short will do that, if you hit the right spot.  The 30/30 is more forgiving if you miss that spot. 

in a short range, near or in heavy cover situation, I feel that both the 30/30 and the .44 mag are better than a .243.    I hope g-man finds that doe tonight but even then. I am pretty sure he would agree.  

Never shot a 7mm/08 but I have not been bothered by recoil while hunting.  On the range is another story.  This is my hardest kicking gun: Ithaca featherlight 16 gauge.   I always use a pin on recoil pad when I check the zero each September.

I dont remember any “kick” from it when a big one stopped nearby, 50 yards away, a couple weeks ago.  It was cold that evening, and I had multiple layers up top, so maybe that’s why.

You never feel the kick when the adrenaline is pumping. Range time is different. Worst kicking gun I owned was a single shot 12g.  That thing would loosen your fillings. 

Never disagreed the 44m and 30-30 is a better short range brush gun. But claiming they will kill deer better than a 243, and that it's inadequate is just plain wrong. 

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

Lol. Well real hunters don’t let God or anything else send a bullet up a deer ass regardless of the situation and as we saw in the pic of the so called “Big” one you speak of we saw that bullet placement was one that needed a bigger piece of lead to damage other organs other then heart and lungs which most hunters take out.                  Maybe a little more work on your end…. And a little less talk like you have done it all with weapons and maybe even kill a real        “Big” deer would serve you well. 

1 minute ago, mowin said:

You never feel the kick when the adrenaline is pumping. Range time is different. Worst kicking gun I owned was a single shot 12g.  That thing would loosen your fillings. 

Never disagreed the 44m and 30-30 is a better short range brush gun. But claiming they will kill deer better than a 243, and that it's inadequate is just plain wrong. 

Well it sounds like we are in complete agreement then because I never claimed that.

The worst recoil experience I can remember was when I put a pistol grip on my short barreled Remington 870 12 ga.  My right wrist hurt for a few weeks after about 6 shots, sighting that in from the hip, with magnum loaded slugs and a laser sight.  The laser would not have been legal, but I figured with enough practice, I might be able to hit what I looked at, from the hip.  The wrist pain killed that idea.

In sharp contrast, a friend suffered a detached retina a few years ago, so he asked me to sight in his 44 magnum Ruger single action revolver for him.  I never fired a pistol and was anticipating the worst.  I missed the target paper completely from 50 yards with my first shot.

He was mad because the special max loaded hunting bullets were very expensive.  The very mild kick of the .44 (compared to that 12 gauge) came as a great surprise to me.

Reluctantly, he handed me another expensive bullet, which I managed to put within an inch of the bull (that time with no flinch).

2 hours ago, rob-c said:

Something to consider with the 30-30 lever gun is the over all weight. I bought my wife one and she ended up not liking it, it just got too heavy for her to carry on our extended hikes  I bought her a 7mm- 08  and she’s loves it. And my son inherited the 30-30 . 

Single shot Henry   she tried mine out this afternoon.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Good luck..Hope you recover the deer...

Don't be in a big yank to change chamberings.....44 Mag is definitely going downhill from a .243....30-30  is OK out to 150 yards or so....There are several chamberings  that outperform  any of the above without producing a lot of muzzle blast or recoil..A couple of them that come to mind quickly are the 7MM-08   and the 6.5 Creedmoor....LOTS of reasonably priced rifles are available in these chamberings..

No luck not a drop of blood to be found ,lot of fat on big doe and by the tuft of hair it was a little back.  Problem with a close shot and small bullet , hole can plug a lot easier  especially if it didn't expand.   Shot was 30 yards.   At least with a larger caliber the holes are bigger.  2nd deer lost to a .243  both for same reason  lack of blood to trail  1st one was a nice buck dropped in tracks and when hunter was climbing down it got up  and took off not a drop of blood (  the hunter was a national shooting sports champ on cover after magazine several times so I'm sure shot was good. 

Swamp and no blood makes poor tracking .

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Greg van Splunder said:

No luck not a drop of blood to be found ,lot of fat on big doe and by the tuft of hair it was a little back.  Problem with a close shot and small bullet , hole can plug a lot easier  especially if it didn't expand.   Shot was 30 yards.   At least with a larger caliber the holes are bigger.  2nd deer lost to a .243  both for same reason  lack of blood to trail  1st one was a nice buck dropped in tracks and when hunter was climbing down it got up  and took off not a drop of blood (  the hunter was a national shooting sports champ on cover after magazine several times so I'm sure shot was good. 

So to be fair they have no idea where they hit said deer?  Tuft of hair could mean a total graze and there would be no fat or blood involved and even the best of shooters can get a touch of the “Fever”.       Had a buddy that was a great shot take a long poke from a tree with some pretty good wind drop a buck at a couple hundred yards, dumped him and he spun around on the ground in the wide open field a few spins and jumped up and ran right to him. After him dropped him with a close shoulder shot and cleaned him up we went to move him and found the first shot split the beam right above the burr on that buck, you could actually move the antler.               All with a 243. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Greg van Splunder said:

Maybe more of a bullet type issue vs caliber?

Good day. Weather held off enough to make an attempt at it.  We saw 1 doe heading onto stateland while we were heading in.   We jumped 1 big deer off a point.  Second to last spot we jumped another doe.  Then the last spot 1 of the guys jumped 2 bucks and a doe 1 being a slammer but couldn't get a shot. So he swung back to a different spot and got a shot off on a small 5 but brisket shot it.  So all in all it was a fun day. Can't wait until next year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Greg van Splunder said:

I've never seen fat plug a bullet wound, ever.  Guts, ya kinda, but guts don't bleed. 

Fattest deer ever can't stop the bleed from any legal caliber if shot in the boiler room. 

7 hours ago, ncountry said:

I cannot tell from the pic. Did the antler get shot off or fall off? Looks like it was shot off .lol. don't ask me how I would know what that looks like. 

As far as I can tell it fell off though it made result of fight as I have another 8 and this one both on cam 2 days ago each missing opposite halves of racks

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Well it sounds like we are in complete agreement then because I never claimed that.

The worst recoil experience I can remember was when I put a pistol grip on my short barreled Remington 870 12 ga.  My right wrist hurt for a few weeks after about 6 shots, sighting that in from the hip, with magnum loaded slugs and a laser sight.  The laser would not have been legal, but I figured with enough practice, I might be able to hit what I looked at, from the hip.  The wrist pain killed that idea.

In sharp contrast, a friend suffered a detached retina a few years ago, so he asked me to sight in his 44 magnum Ruger single action revolver for him.  I never fired a pistol and was anticipating the worst.  I missed the target paper completely from 50 yards with my first shot.

He was mad because the special max loaded hunting bullets were very expensive.  The very mild kick of the .44 (compared to that 12 gauge) came as a great surprise to me.

Reluctantly, he handed me another expensive bullet, which I managed to put within an inch of the bull (that time with no flinch).

Really?  First thing you posted was "to bad she wasn't shooting a 44m or 30-30.  

4 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've never seen fat plug a bullet wound, ever.  Guts, ya kinda, but guts don't bleed. 

Fattest deer ever can't stop the bleed from any legal caliber if shot in the boiler room. 

Again I believe shot was back ,  and not tallow but internal fat plugs same as guts.  Unfortunately she was on edge of swamp.  , a bigger hole from larger caliber  would be nice never cared for pin picks ,as with any shot accurate placement is key but larger calibers seem to give more leeway than smaller.. 

• Like 1